BB recruit

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
billings
Ranch Hand

Nowherepoke on gwg has posted about a Wyo BB recruit

Tyrone Marshall (6'8" out of Denver) has committed to the Pokes.

nice size for PF
gopokes1399
Blog Team

77 on rivals rating... hope he turns into a good one
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

nice
W-Y, Until I Die!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

"...has tomorrow written all over him...". Is that code for "he's not quite ready now, but a little more time in the oven and he will be cooked to our taste".
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:"...has tomorrow written all over him...". Is that code for "he's not quite ready now, but a little more time in the oven and he will be cooked to our taste".
Tyrone is definitely a work in progress. He is the type of player that would benefit tremendously from a redshirt year. After watching some video on him, here are my general thoughts...

Pros: Great leaping ability. He utilizes his jumping ability very well to block/alter shots when an opposing player comes down the lane. His best offense is in the transition game. He likes to get out and run on the wing and has the athleticism to finish around the rim when he gets the ball.

Cons: At this point, Tyrone is basically a non-factor in the half court offense. Although he has good athleticism, he lacks any sort of move to get him by his defender when things are slowed down. His low post moves are poor and his shooting is mediocre at best.

Tyrone reminds me a lot of Djbril Thiam. Above average athleticism but just not a polished basketball player at this point in his career. With Shyatt getting into the recruiting game so late this year, it appears his philosophy is to look for guys with good attitudes and a strong work ethic with the hopes that they can improve significantly. It's going to be tough to get any sort of impact freshman at this point.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

TheRealUW wrote: Tyrone is definitely a work in progress. He is the type of player that would benefit tremendously from a redshirt year. After watching some video on him, here are my general thoughts...

Pros: Great leaping ability. He utilizes his jumping ability very well to block/alter shots when an opposing player comes down the lane. His best offense is in the transition game. He likes to get out and run on the wing and has the athleticism to finish around the rim when he gets the ball.

Cons: At this point, Tyrone is basically a non-factor in the half court offense. Although he has good athleticism, he lacks any sort of move to get him by his defender when things are slowed down. His low post moves are poor and his shooting is mediocre at best.

Tyrone reminds me a lot of Djbril Thiam. Above average athleticism but just not a polished basketball player at this point in his career. With Shyatt getting into the recruiting game so late this year, it appears his philosophy is to look for guys with good attitudes and a strong work ethic with the hopes that they can improve significantly. It's going to be tough to get any sort of impact freshman at this point.
I haven't watched any film of the kid playing yet so I can't comment on much, but looking at his statistics one semi-positive jumped out at me, his 72% FT%. While not great by any means, it would at least hopefully point to a little more coordination and scoring ability than Thiam.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

OK, after some of his videos on Youtube I thought he looked like a solid prospect. I would certainly say he is more skilled and polished than Thiam was (not that that is saying much because I'd consider myself more skilled).