Anyone going to the Scrum?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post some info if you go!

Heard it is going to be inside the IPF...as it is supposed to rain and be a little cold...like 45 or so, and we can't f-word have THAT, we need to stay warm & dry inside!

:lol:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Suitmeup
Buckaroo

This is Wyoming...Id rather dress warm and actually be able to see something.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Suitmeup wrote:This is Wyoming...Id rather dress warm and actually be able to see something.
Touche'
Dear Karma,

Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

My wife and kids are down there for a volleyball tournament. My wife sent me a picture of my son after they came out of Brown and Gold and realized the rental car they are driving has Colorado plates and they are driving it in Laramie!

See my new avatar.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

:thumb:
wyopokes2
Ranch Hand

It ended up being played outside. It was pretty chilly. I was for the most part really impressed with Brett Smith
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Fullback41 wrote: realized the rental car they are driving has Colorado plates and they are driving it in Laramie!
Not to worry. I understand the rental companies fumigate those cars, especially if the are from Fort Collins.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

A few thoughts I had after the game:

- I thought Brett Smith looked to be the better qb. He was good at scrambling. He had many nice throws including several on the run. He also seemed to have a nice direct spiral on his throws. He seemed to complete a lot of passes I would guess around the 70% range. However, Smith only threw short to mid-range passes (3-15 yard type), I would have liked to have seen Smith go for a deep pass to see what kind of arm strength and accuracy he has on the deeper game.

- Emory Miller Jr. just seemed a little less consistent to me. He did have a nice deep pass in the first half. However, his throws (even the shorter ones) seemed to be lofted a little more, sometimes staying in the air too long, whereas Smith had the more direct quicker pass.

- I felt like Robert Herron had a nice game. Had several catches, and made some defenders miss after the catch.

- One of the Gibson's (I think Tashaun) dropped an easy interception late in the game, but did make a nice hit that drew praise from the crowd on the series after.

- Riley Lange on the defensive line seemed to have a good game. He was in on a lot of tackles.

- I actually thought the offensive line looked alright. Their pass blocking seemed ok to me (especially compared to what I have read). There were some of the times where the qbs were rushed, but there were many times where both qbs had plenty of time to look for some receivers and then would either make the pass or decide to take off. I thought the run blocking was more of the concern, with runs rarely going over about 2 yards it seemed. I certainly didn't think the o-line was any worse than last year. That may not be comforting, but by the sound of some of the things I have read I had expected terrible o-line play and was actually pleasantly suprised, many times thinking to myself that it was nice to see the qbs have some time to look for receivers rather than immeditaly having to take off.

-On the other side I thought the defensive line did a nice job on the run protection. We ran the ball quite a bit in the scrimmage, but it never seemed to get more than 2 yards on a run. I don't really think a running back ever made it to the secondary, which is credit to the d-line but is a worry for the o-line.

- The punt return game may be of some concern. There were no actual returns, just a punt and a "catch". However, there were 2 or 3 fumbles on the players trying to catch the punt, including a unsportsman like penalty after one of the fumbles when the player threw the ball angrily about 20 yards to the sideline. These fumbles were all with no defensive pressure. So hopefully that gets corrected.

Take the thoughts for what you will. I didn't record stats or anything like that. These were just the thoughts from casually enjoying the spring game. Overall, I thought the team looked better in this spring game than any of the spring games in the past 3 years or so. So hopefully that translates to the fall.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

AG, nice report, Thanks.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Does DC have the players tackle a lot?

Or is it more like the NFL where contact is kept down?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

alyssa wrote:Does DC have the players tackle a lot?

Or is it more like the NFL where contact is kept down?
The only time we back off on the tackling, is on our own QBs.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Why was tender Easton playing rb? I thought he got moved
billings
Ranch Hand

Didn't realize we had 15 players miss all or part of spring ball due to injuries. That had to have an impact
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Fullback41 wrote:My wife and kids are down there for a volleyball tournament. My wife sent me a picture of my son after they came out of Brown and Gold and realized the rental car they are driving has Colorado plates and they are driving it in Laramie!

See my new avatar.
Nothing wrong with being a greenie - as long as you're not a Sheep or a Hippie, that is. We have over 25 Colorado players on the roster currently, so :)
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cuttslam wrote:AG, nice report, Thanks.
Agreed. Thanks AG.
Dear Karma,

Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Fullback41 wrote:My wife and kids are down there for a volleyball tournament. My wife sent me a picture of my son after they came out of Brown and Gold and realized the rental car they are driving has Colorado plates and they are driving it in Laramie!

See my new avatar.
Nothing wrong with being a greenie - as long as you're not a Sheep or a Hippie, that is. We have over 25 Colorado players on the roster currently, so :)

oh yeah i know, really he wants to boo csu, but whatever. our relatives in colorado would be like "what the heck?" We love our colorado cowboys.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Wyoirish
Ranch Hand

Things I took away from the scrimmage:

1) QB Smith is a very talented QB and I think beyond his years in development for a true freshman. He had the ability to keep several drives alive with getting out of the pocket and making plays on big 3rd downs, looking at times like a veteran. He had several long pass plays nullified again with penalties which raised the biggest concern for me of the day. Stupid penalties and the Gold team had probably 95% of them. Smith is the opening day starter, IMO, and I think we will really see a special player develop once he is able to freely run around and make plays with his feet. He's big and fast and will pose a threat to defenses both on the run and throwing it downfield. As Brandon stated after the scrimmage "Brett is truly, a dual-threat QB." It will remain to be seen if he can keep it but I've seen enough of him to be excited about the prospects offensively, and Pittser better REALLY be good early if he wants to beat him out.

2) The development of Robert Herron and the rest of the WR's. I know he took his lumps last year but he has definitely improved since them. He seemed to have great chemsitry with Smith on Saturday and I think #6 will be a very special player before its said and done. He made a catch on the sideline that was an All-MWC type catch going out of bounds and keeping the drive alive. With the 4 highly touted WR's coming in the Fall, this position will be one of great strength in the coming years. It will be very exciting to see Herron catch the ball in space and utilize some of that speed. He definitely has big-play potential and is a threat to take it all the way each time he touches it.

3) Oline still a work in progress. Having a mobile QB which we will definitely have will help here. The offense seems predicated with moving the pocket a good pct of the time so that, along with a healthy and unsuspended stable of RB's will give us the boost upfront that we need. We'll take our lumps but if the QB's can make the reads quickly and we can find some creases inside with the backs, we should be ok.

4) Hendricks steady Eddy and the emergence of Riley lange on defense. Lange is a VERY GOOD player and I believe he will be a major contributor this season. After seeing his interview he has a great attitude and is willing to do whatever it takes to get better. I love guys like Lange, he is a scrapper. Depth on D, as DC said 20 guys will be playing, that is freakin' awesome. Too many guys on D to list here but a good problem to have.

Guys I'm calling it now but these Pokes will win the games they should and sneak up on some other teams that they shouldn't. We WILL go bowlin' next season and it's just a a question of where. If we can stay healthy, I'm saying either Poinsettia or Independence, but either will look fine to me written up on the stadium concourse. :thumb:
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Thanks for the report Wyoirish.. good stuff from you guys that hit the scrimmage.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

ImageImageImageImage