My ranking of the rumored and speculated candidates

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowduck
Cowpoke

I'm normally a patient guy when it comes to coaches but Schroyer's tenure was unbearable, mostly owing to horrible losses to some of the lowliest basketball programs in D-1.

I think there are a lot of guys out there who I would be happy with taking his place. Anyone on the following list would be acceptable.

Unobtainable, in my opinion:

1. Joe Dooley - He's arguably the most highly regarded assistant coach in the country right now, has coached here before, and is a dynamite recruiter. I think he can have a better job than UW.

2. Mike Dunlap - Overqualified, really. Could have had the Arizona job but turned it down to assist Lavin at St. John's. Why would he take this one?

High risk, moderately high reward:

3. Billy Gillispie - Alcohol issue is a big red flag. But Wyoming could be the right fit for him to reestablish himself as a top-notch coach. I say moderately high reward because if he's successful here and proves that he's clean he won't be long for Laramie.

Solid fits

4a. Ray Giacoletti - Has coached in this league before, although he didn't do much at Utah once Bogut left. His EWU teams overachieved. Currently assisting Few at Gonzaga, perhaps he's made some inroads in recruiting connections in that capacity

4b. Jeremy Cox - Sentimental favorite for me as I knew him as Bergie back when I was a very young kid attending every Sheridan College game. Since he has Wyoming roots could be a long term coach here if he's successful.

Would have to hold my nose but begrudgingly admit he'd be a decent hire

5. Dave Rice - He's well regarded but the BYU stink is heavy.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

By the way I would be happy with Shyatt but I don't really think he's a realistic candidate. Getting up there in age, potentially hard feelings over his last stint here, has a great gig at Florida.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Cowduck wrote:By the way I would be happy with Shyatt but I don't really think he's a realistic candidate. Getting up there in age, potentially hard feelings over his last stint here, has a great gig at Florida.
He's 60. I don't think it's too old. However, if he stays 3-4 years this time, this may be the end of the road for him. I doubt he would get another big time gig at 64.

I think we need a proven head coach. Joby Wright was a Bobby Knight assistant and very highly regarded. A huge disaster only matched by HS. I say we go with Gilespie and keep him away from all the pool tables.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

bladerunnr wrote:I say we go with Gilespie and keep him away from all the pool tables.
A lesson learned the hard way when Dimel was in Laramie. UW shoulda fired him the moment he was caught having "fun" with that barmaid.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Wyokie wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:I say we go with Gilespie and keep him away from all the pool tables.
A lesson learned the hard way when Dimel was in Laramie. UW shoulda fired him the moment he was caught having "fun" with that barmaid.
I remember him having some fun late night at a bar when I was schooling there. Doesn't DC look kinda look like Dimel?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

laxwyo wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
I remember him having some fun late night at a bar when I was schooling there. Doesn't DC look kinda look like Dimel?
CDC does look like Dimel. I just hope CDC does a better job of coaching!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Dimel had a "Ron Jeremy" look that made you think he was not altogether trustworthy or, how can I phrase this, let's put it this way, you would not want him around your teenage daughters.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

bladerunnr wrote:Dimel had a "Ron Jeremy" look that made you think he was not altogether trustworthy or, how can I phrase this, let's put it this way, you would not want him around your teenage daughters.
Good point.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

bladerunnr wrote:Dimel had a "Ron Jeremy" look that made you think he was not altogether trustworthy or, how can I phrase this, let's put it this way, you would not want him around your teenage daughters.
Isn't there a rumor about him cheating on his wife behind the Alibi?
I'm good for 3!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Cornpoke wrote:
Isn't there a rumor about him cheating on his wife behind the Alibi?
THAT's what we're talking about!!!

He got caught by the police after hours at a bar (coulda been the Alibi) doing the barmaid on one of the pooltables. I think he later married her but I'm not positive.

Sidenote...his wife, who was in Manhatten, KS at the time was trying to sell their house there so they could move to Laramie, divorced him. A friend of mine told me right after the incident happened that a friend of her's who worked at UW toold her that the UW was considering firing him before he even coached his first game at UW (a road loss to Ohio State in 1997).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I heard it was a pool table too.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hear ya go...hmmm.

Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

That is creepy... What is Dimel doing these days? Now we have to put him back on the coaching staff just to serve as CDC's body double.
I'm good for 3!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Apparently he's back at Kansas State for his 3rd stint...this time as the running game coordinator and running back's coach.