24-25 Roster

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:02 am Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. When the AD gets serious about rebuilding the program, call me.

1. Fire Linder
2. Hire a coach from outside a 100-mile radius of campus and that the current AD is not buddies with
a. Hire a coach that isn't a jackass
b. Hire a coach that players want to play for (other than Maldanado, he doesn't have any eligibility anyway)
c. Hire a coach that can woo donors to the collective
3. Fire Welniak and the other old, tarnished brass at CJC (including the Board) and find folks that are creative and innovative
4. Sell the naming rights, branding, etc. to anything on the athletic (and Main) campus that has value down to jock straps and sports bras - and invest any funds raised in player and coach comforts that can be sold to recruits
I am not on the fire Linder train yet. I think we will always suffer from transfer portal losses going forward. I do agree he needs to do a much better job of engaging the fans and the community (everyone that encounters him in person says he is an asshole). When he was first hired on in 2020
I thought he was much better about doing allot of interviews, engaging on social media (outside of the dip poop yellow stone gifs) and engaging the fans. Overall he is a good coach, his teams are prepared and he makes in game adjustments well. He also recruits well but the problem is retaining talent. I am not sure him being a dick is the biggest problem. I think lack of Nil, poop game day atmosphere, and the fact that Laramie is somewhat isolated and has bad weather play bigger impacts.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 137 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 am Hopefully Linder isn’t done adding through the portal…
About the only option I see.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 239 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 am Hopefully Linder isn’t done adding through the portal…
We will add 2 more players. There are still a few Big West backup players looking for a new home.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 126 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:21 am
We will add 2 more players. There are still a few Big West backup players looking for a new home.
What makes you think he will get that high of quality player? I am thinking he should stick with the NAIA or D3. Bottom line, Wyoming basketball is no longer entertainment, it is depressing and lacks any excitement. Even worse that the Rockies. UW will be lucky to finish in 10th next year...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:24 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:21 am

What makes you think he will get that high of quality player? I am thinking he should stick with the NAIA or D3. Bottom line, Wyoming basketball is no longer entertainment, it is depressing and lacks any excitement. Even worse that the Rockies. UW will be lucky to finish in 10th next year...
I agree on where we stand on paper. Other than SJSU, we look to have the worst MWC roster. Maybe even worse than SJSU. With a roster like that, you need a lot of buy-in and time together to hope to have success…I’m close to 100% doubtful Linder can achieve that given his attitude and demeanor and his unwillingness to adapt his behavior for the good of the team.

But we did land Tainamo so there is a glimmer of hope we can land at least Big West level back up talent. You’re right though, our expectations ought to be very low.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 126 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:26 am

I agree on where we stand on paper. Other than SJSU, we look to have the worst MWC roster. Maybe even worse than SJSU. With a roster like that, you need a lot of buy-in and time together to hope to have success…I’m close to 100% doubtful Linder can achieve that given his attitude and demeanor and his unwillingness to adapt his behavior for the good of the team.

But we did land Tainamo so there is a glimmer of hope we can land at least Big West level back up talent. You’re right though, our expectations ought to be very low.
The further this mess is allowed to continue (as it has been trending), the lower the attendance, and then the REAL apathy sets in...you lose the "super fan." Maybe that is Burman's goal, start hosting basketball games in the Uniwyo Sports Complex, to cut some costs. yeah.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

The incoming freshman class looks good and Ihenacho and Tainamo look like solid adds. I am sure Obi will be decent, almost all of the D2 guys brought in under Linder have had allot of success. If they scrape out another almost 500 season then Linder is gonna get another year beyond next ( especially with that buyout). Considering most cowboys fans have already given up on the team it doesn’t really matter, even if they started winning nobody is gonna show up to the games except the usual die hards.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:49 am

The further this mess is allowed to continue (as it has been trending), the lower the attendance, and then the REAL apathy sets in...you lose the "super fan." Maybe that is Burman's goal, start hosting basketball games in the Uniwyo Sports Complex, to cut some costs. yeah.
Burman has no choice at this point. He already gave Linder an extension and buyout which is cost prohibitive until after next season at the earliest.

But you are right on apathy. We aren’t renewing our very good season seats. Can’t stomach another season sitting behind Linder. I imagine that there are others in the same boat and there will probably be plenty of available season tickets for those who were not happy with the seats they got all those years ago in the re-seating.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:08 pm

The incoming freshman class looks good and Ihenacho and Tainamo look like solid adds. I am sure Obi will be decent, almost all of the D2 guys brought in under Linder have had allot of success. If they scrape out another almost 500 season then Linder is gonna get another year beyond next ( especially with that buyout). Considering most cowboys fans have already given up on the team it doesn’t really matter, even if they started winning nobody is gonna show up to the games except the usual die hards.
Agree with most of this. Very doubtful for a .500 season even with an awful non-con.

To me - Iheancho does not appear to be a MWC level player on paper. His history also gives rise to skepticism. He had some success at North Dakota as a freshman, transferred to James Madison for 2 years where he was a non-factor and largely relegated to the bench. North Dakota invites him back to the team for his 4th year and he starts most games putting up decent point and rebound numbers (14 and 5) for a guard but shooting 28% from 3 in the Summit League. So how does he repay North Dakota for welcoming him back? He enters the portal again to come to Wyoming. Is this really the type of player/teammate we should be excited about?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:01 pm
Played at Lamar as a freshman. Transferred to Portland where he played in 12 games last year averaging 20 minutes a game and 8 point. Has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Unclear, but he was either benched or injured late last season as he did not appear in the WCC tournament for the 12-21 Pilots.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:11 pm
Played at Lamar as a freshman. Transferred to Portland where he played in 12 games last year averaging 20 minutes a game and 8 point. Has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Unclear, but he was either benched or injured late last season as he did not appear in the WCC tournament for the 12-21 Pilots.
Found an article. Portland initially intended to redshirt him and pulled the redshirt. He then injured his hip late in the season and missed the final 5 games.

He appears to be the Caden Powell replacement. They both have similar size. Williams averaged 3 more points a game than Powell but shot only 43% from the field compared to Powell’s 48%.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:11 pm

Looks like a hip injury ended his season early last year
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 137 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:08 pm

It’s pretty difficult to justify driving down to a weeknight basketball game, just to watch them lose, getting home at 1:00am or maybe not at all. I made that trek many times when there was a chance they would beat SDSU, or Boise St or the goats from Ft Colon. I’m not going to apologize or feel like I’m any less of a fan to not do it when there’s a high likelihood they lose. Linder can call me whatever he wants as a fan. I don’t really care. The ewe win in overtime when Roddy was there was one of the best games I’ve been to at the AA. The place was electric! It was incredible. The tournament that same year was fun, when UW made a bit of a run.

When Linder can produce a product worth the trip I’ll risk the drive through Shirley Basin, snow, ice and wind to do it again. Until then - nope. He needs to win me back and prove he can produce a product that can win.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I believe everyone on the team now has 30 days to transfer if they choose. But really just starting fresh might be the best even if next season turns into single digit wins.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:25 pm I believe everyone on the team now has 30 days to transfer if they choose. But really just starting fresh might be the best even if next season turns into single digit wins.
You are correct on the 30 day window. I doubt we'll see much player movement, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was. Kobe Newton has already said that he's staying.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 616 times
Been liked: 249 times

The above statement from Newton says a lot. I'm guessing Linder felt the situation here was hopeless. No $$$ and he didn't have the ability to raise any... so Linder said adios.

This needs to be a wakeup call.

Good for Newton, too. I like the kid.

Man, what could have been if not for NIL and Portal. I think in a different age Linder could have built something really good here. F word
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 80 times

I continue to believe that regardless of most situations there are guys like Newton and then there are guys who are always looking for greener grass. I think its a personality trait.

How do you find and recruit the Newton's of the world is the million dollar question.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:11 am The above statement from Newton says a lot. I'm guessing Linder felt the situation here was hopeless. No $$$ and he didn't have the ability to raise any... so Linder said adios.

This needs to be a wakeup call.

Good for Newton, too. I like the kid.

Man, what could have been if not for NIL and Portal. I think in a different age Linder could have built something really good here. F word
You can feel like the situation is hopeless, but when you're the head coach you have to work to fix it instead of whining about it. I still contend that Linder is a hell of a coach, but he's a poop head coach. Calling out the fans and students for lack of support is not how you endear them to the program.