Off-season: collective bargaining

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

Any of you law gurus know what a collective bargaining/revenue sharing might look like in the mwc or pac14 or mwc - some + some or???

It probably is the only way to get framework to control nil/transfer. However, if the profits are very small like at our level, there wouldn't be much to share. If they calculate playoff and all other cfb revenue then divide among all athletes, the amount would be pretty small for the athletes. Will athletes agree to anything that isn't big money in their pocket?

For those that follow this stuff, have you seen anything proposed that seems logical? I've only seen the idea of collective bargaining/revenue sharing floated around but nothing proposing exactly how it might work.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:54 pm Any of you law gurus know what a collective bargaining/revenue sharing might look like in the mwc or pac14 or mwc - some + some or???

It probably is the only way to get framework to control nil/transfer. However, if the profits are very small like at our level, there wouldn't be much to share. If they calculate playoff and all other cfb revenue then divide among all athletes, the amount would be pretty small for the athletes. Will athletes agree to anything that isn't big money in their pocket?

For those that follow this stuff, have you seen anything proposed that seems logical? I've only seen the idea of collective bargaining/revenue sharing floated around but nothing proposing exactly how it might work.
If you’re referring to some structure to limit NIL - It would be a clear Sherman Antitrust Act violation to agree with another conference or amongst conference members themselves to agree to NIL caps or something to that effect outside of the players becoming an employees and forming some recognized union. That’s a collusive agreement to restrict the market.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:18 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:54 pm Any of you law gurus know what a collective bargaining/revenue sharing might look like in the mwc or pac14 or mwc - some + some or???

If you’re referring to some structure to limit NIL - It would be a clear Sherman Antitrust Act violation to agree with another conference or amongst conference members themselves to agree to NIL caps or something to that effect outside of the players becoming an employees and forming some recognized union. That’s a collusive agreement to restrict the market.
No. Collective bargaining and revenue sharing similar to pro leagues. If the players agree to nil limitations, there is no violation. There would undoubtedly be a players' union like the nfl.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:32 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:18 pm

No. Collective bargaining and revenue sharing similar to pro leagues. If the players agree to nil limitations, there is no violation. There would undoubtedly be a players' union like the nfl.
That’s the problem. They have to be considered ‘employees’ for union recognition and the labor law antitrust exemption. And with employee designation comes a whole host of additional issues including title ix obligations.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:04 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:32 pm

That’s the problem. They have to be considered ‘employees’ for union recognition and the labor law antitrust exemption. And with employee designation comes a whole host of additional issues including title ix obligations.
Or private contractors. The employee part also may exempt title ix. The job is football open to all genders. It's a job not an educational program or activity.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:16 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:04 pm

Or private contractors. The employee part also may exempt title ix. The job is football open to all genders. It's a job not an educational program or activity.
I’m not sure where your information comes from but every decision I’m aware of holds that title ix applies equally to students and ‘employees’ at universities which receive federal funding.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:16 pm

I’m not sure where your information comes from but every decision I’m aware of holds that title ix applies equally to students and ‘employees’ at universities which receive federal funding.
Are you suggesting that there is a university database tracking gender of hires and that there must be equal gender representation for all hires, student, faculty, or staff?

If so, you aren't even correct for students.

In this case, all genders are welcome to apply. If you're a female high school senior that's 6'7" 300 lbs and pushing around defensive tackles, then you'll get a job.

Revenue sharing extends to all sports. You share revenue in the sport you participate in. If your sport doesn't make revenue then there's nothing to share.

Besides, nil is less important if transfer and signings are regulated (draft?).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Weird, just heard a radio show discussing this. Prediction was revenue sharing will happen because pending lawsuits will ultimately force it. Assuming congress does nothing to title nine, then college athletics will likely shrink to 4-6 total sponsored sports. Men's bball + football then however many women's sports to offset that. Revenue shared among all sports.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 am Weird, just heard a radio show discussing this. Prediction was revenue sharing will happen because pending lawsuits will ultimately force it. Assuming congress does nothing to title nine, then college athletics will likely shrink to 4-6 total sponsored sports. Men's bball + football then however many women's sports to offset that. Revenue shared among all sports.
Not sure what radio show but this is basically my prediction as well absent congressional legislation. Football and basketball will basically become the only men’s college sports at many schools and players will become paid employees. Due to title ix, women’s sports such as volleyball, softball, soccer and basketball will thrive with players being paid quite a bit of money to avoid pay disparity.

I see collegiate Olympic sports such as swimming, track and field, etc. being virtually eliminated.

None of this will be ‘good’ for the overall college athlete IMO as countless athletic opportunities will simply go away. For the few elite football and basketball players, yes they will make their money at the expense of the countless other athletes losing opportunities.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:13 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 am Weird, just heard a radio show discussing this. Prediction was revenue sharing will happen because pending lawsuits will ultimately force it. Assuming congress does nothing to title nine, then college athletics will likely shrink to 4-6 total sponsored sports. Men's bball + football then however many women's sports to offset that. Revenue shared among all sports.
Not sure what radio show but this is basically my prediction as well absent congressional legislation. Football and basketball will basically become the only men’s college sports at many schools and players will become paid employees. Due to title ix, women’s sports such as volleyball, softball, soccer and basketball will thrive with players being paid quite a bit of money to avoid pay disparity.

I see collegiate Olympic sports such as swimming, track and field, etc. being virtually eliminated.

None of this will be ‘good’ for the overall college athlete IMO as countless athletic opportunities will simply go away. For the few elite football and basketball players, yes they will make their money at the expense of the countless other athletes losing opportunities.
Which is most appropriate based on university administrator's actions to chase money and alumni/booster interest. Monet talks, I suppose.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... athletics/

I'm sure everyone saw this but if not, revenue sharing is happening.

My guess is p4 split and g5 shares go to players. They'll have to come up with more but I'll bet that's where they start.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 am https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... athletics/

My guess is p4 split and g5 shares go to players. They'll have to come up with more but I'll bet that's where they start.
Schools paying athletes is preferable to NIL imo.

Interesting question that just popped in my head. What’s preventing nfl teams circumventing salary cap via some kind of NIL poop? I know players can sign endorsements but what’s preventing companies aligned with certain franchises/cities from rolling in and saying to a player, who doesn’t have many endorsements or any, “if you sign for $3.5 million instead of $7million, we’ll give you $4million guaranteed? Just a thought.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:13 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 am https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... athletics/

Interesting question that just popped in my head. What’s preventing nfl teams circumventing salary cap via some kind of NIL poop? I know players can sign endorsements but what’s preventing companies aligned with certain franchises/cities from rolling in and saying to a player, who doesn’t have many endorsements or any, “if you sign for $3.5 million instead of $7million, we’ll give you $4million guaranteed? Just a thought.
I've wondered the same damn thing?? Id be curious if anyone has a good answer
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 87 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:52 pm

I've wondered the same damn thing?? Id be curious if anyone has a good answer
The only way to know would be to talk to the agents for players who sign with teams whose owners also own some other entities who could pay for endorsements. It may already be happening.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 54 times

It all depends on if the NFL catches wind of these deals or not. If the NFL investigates and determines these kind of deals were made to circumvent the salary cap, the team would face disciplinary actions. The NFL explicitly forbids alternate pay arrangements aimed at skirting the salary cap.

But like most things, there is a major gray area with these sorts of rules. I don't know if anyone remembers when the NFL investigated Tom Brady and his TB12 brand's relationship with the Patriots. Brady had a TB12 physical therapy office right next to Gillette Stadium and all of the Patriot's players were sent there for any PT needs they had. TB12 billed the Patriots for these services at a rate of $200/hr for each player spending time at the TB12 facilities. The NFL investigated that relationship and found "no wrong doing".

So...these things already do happen.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

TheRealUW wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:01 pm

It all depends on if the NFL catches wind of these deals or not. If the NFL investigates and determines these kind of deals were made to circumvent the salary cap, the team would face disciplinary actions. The NFL explicitly forbids alternate pay arrangements aimed at skirting the salary cap.

But like most things, there is a major gray area with these sorts of rules. I don't know if anyone remembers when the NFL investigated Tom Brady and his TB12 brand's relationship with the Patriots. Brady had a TB12 physical therapy office right next to Gillette Stadium and all of the Patriot's players were sent there for any PT needs they had. TB12 billed the Patriots for these services at a rate of $200/hr for each player spending time at the TB12 facilities. The NFL investigated that relationship and found "no wrong doing".

So...these things already do happen.
To me it’d be akin to enforcing tampering rules. Yes, I know, falcons and some other team are getting hit with investigation but you know it happens a ton.

I just don’t see how you can enforce an owner of a company sitting down at dinner with a player and negotiating some kind of deal. I’m sure the big boys have their fingers in it as well. Have to imagine they want their players on relevant teams that compete. Mike trout comes to mind. Imagine that dudes branding if he played on a good team
W-Y, Until I Die!