Game thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

What!!!??? Fans complaining about refs!! I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Craig Bohl said it: if we played them 10 times, I'm not sure how many we'd win but we won that night (or something like that).

Honest assessment, imo. Kind of surprised he said it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:50 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:14 am I was active from the outset of that game thread, and there was only one TTU fan that was actually consistently whiny about the refs. And he actually got piled on by other TTU fans more often than not, and got called out in the postgame thread for it as well.

Not to mention that every time there's a major call, there a passionate outburst from fans of the affected team every single time, no matter the validity of the call. It's the nature of live sporting events and live game threads. Our fans do it too.

Every game thread and every fanbase has its morons, but don't paint a picture that's not actually accurate.

Keep in mind that that one dude was so bad that someone else actually took the time to go back and count...something like 36 of the TTU-flaired comments whining about refs actually came from that one user alone. So lets not be disingenuous.
Yes, one guy (Masked_RedRider) was extreme, but that thread is full of others as well. I decided to look again after I was wondering if I had just imagined everything:

That___One___Guy0: I thought it would take until conference play for the refs to starting f-word us over but of course we get a big 12 crew in non-conference play.
and: Wouldn't be surprised if these f-word refs just ended the game at this point.

ICheerForTexasTech: They are absolutely horrible. Can’t decide what is worse - announcing or refs.

BallsDropped: The refs, the annoucers, and tech are like nails on a chalkboard right now
and: I think these refs need to hang up their whistles. Soooooo bad. Just poor poor game management all around.

aMiracleAtJordanHare: Pro tip: Just hold. The refs won't call it.
and: Refs are really f-word up on this drive.

DanPlainviewIV: Refs have money on this
Texascr1755: I’m sorry, but the female ref is not good

hawkspur1: First f-word game and the refs are already trash.

l901: Big 12 Refs remain undefeated

codnavar: Big 12 refs = Tech gonna lose. Can’t even get the calls vs Wyoming. Cowboys been holding all night and not a single one called but they sure as poop can see the hands to the face but can’t see the clock should have been at 3 seconds and not 1 to end the half.
and: Holding… all Wyoming does is hold and the refs haven’t called a single one.

number1defense: Big 12 refs

ViperVenom1224: The refs literally stole three points from us.

responding to "this is my first experience with Tech fans in game threads, and damn do you guys complain about officiating a lot"
kayakyakr: Everyone in the big xii does this, thanks to our experience with UT. We're used to getting f-word by the refs
ICheerForTexasTech: Have you not been watching this game?!

responding to "It’s just the altitude making us look bad… right guys?"
codnavar: Plus refs, dumb mistakes and poop play calling

Alright... these 10 minutes was far more than I needed to spend. I can probably keep going. I'm mainly saying that while one guy complained a LOT, so did plenty of others. I'd agree somewhat that there were holds that the refs didn't call, but I'm not seeing more than maybe one TT fan in total calling out that Red Raiders got away with holding a crap ton too. It was consistently ignored for both sides.
The push off by the TT receiver to make the catch late in the game was obvious, and I would argue allowed TT to tie it up. It went both ways. And I’ve always felt MW officials may be the weakest in the nation. The not targeting call was BS as well. They kicked a kid out of the Duke Clemson game for the exact same hit.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Another aspect you have to consider is the ratio of TTU fans to Wyoming fans.

Of course it's going to seem like TTU fans in general are asshats about the refs. When there's 150 Tech fans and maybe 5 Wyoming fans in a thread, even if only 20% of TTU fans are whining about the refs, it's gonna seem like a worse representation than it really is.

This is something you consistently see in every game thread when a small school plays a large one. It's also reflected in the upvotes/downvotes as well. It's especially bad if/when the game turns sour. The first half of our game against BYU was terrible, for example....us Wyo fans got downvoted en masse for literally anything and everything, and it only calmed down once Utah fans showed up in the thread.

lastly, it's a bit disingenuous to count every single comment against them. Commenting on a couple calls doesn't necessarily constitute "whining about the refs" or blaming them for the loss. You'd have to dig into each individual's comment history to see if that's actually their stance. That's why the one dude started getting downvoted and piled on; he was excessive and apparently he's known for it in other subs (like the CBB sub).

Tl;dr: TTU fans weren't any worse about the refs than literally any other fanbase, including our own. And my overall experience with TTU fans has been extremely positive, especially in comparison to some other fanbases.

Side note: Tech fans are absolutely incredulous that they still got an AP vote, and I've seen more self-deprecation from Tech fans in various threads so far this week on Reddit than I've seen from any fanbase in a while. Lmao.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

I thought overall the refs were fairly evenhanded. The only call I really thought they blew was the targeting by 8. Watching the replay they also missed the guy who tried to step on Peasley while he was still down.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:40 pm The push off by the TT receiver to make the catch late in the game was obvious, and I would argue allowed TT to tie it up. It went both ways. And I’ve always felt MW officials may be the weakest in the nation. The not targeting call was BS as well. They kicked a kid out of the Duke Clemson game for the exact same hit.
They were Big12 Refs. Usual implementation is the away team's conference has the refereeing duties.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:57 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:40 pm The push off by the TT receiver to make the catch late in the game was obvious, and I would argue allowed TT to tie it up. It went both ways. And I’ve always felt MW officials may be the weakest in the nation. The not targeting call was BS as well. They kicked a kid out of the Duke Clemson game for the exact same hit.
They were Big12 Refs. Usual implementation is the away team's conference has the refereeing duties.
sandiegopoke wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:57 pm
If so my bad, but they still missed that call.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Some interesting stats from the game:

Time of possession- Wyo had about nine more minutes, but here’s the weird part, the majority of that was the first quarter. Are we better off not trying to have more TOP?

Discipline- Pokes only had three penalties for total of 15 yards. That’s amazing especially for the first game of the season. Plus the Cowboys got five first downs as a result of TTU penalties. That certainly helped.