Chances of Pokes winning in Provo?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Obviously, BYU is struggling, quite a bit actually, but is there an actual chance for the Pokes to send the Yners off with a loss in LES? Defense did better (end of the game, they were just worn out and Calhoun decided to take a knee rather than FG or TD), and Pokes finally found a run game. So, add that all in, and I think there is a chance.

And according to the announcers today during BYU's game, DeLuigi is BYU's only real weapon as he leads in rushing and recieving. And from what I saw of the game, their WRs still suck, and their TEs aren't much better and their QB can't throw the long ball well at all.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

I like our chances this year better than in the previous years (based on common opponent performance).

BYU's O is definitely one dimensional (meaning it is all about DeLuigi). However, we have our own issues.

It will probably boil down to which team makes the fewest mistakes. I would dearly love to send BYU to Independent Land with a loss and then never schedule them again.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

But BYU still owns us and its hard for me to see WYO winning in Provo, especially with how poorly we are playing right now. We haven't won in Provo for 22 years, its going to take a special effort to change that, I don't know if we are capable of that right now.

It doesn't matter how bad BYU is if we are playing just as bad.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I think are chances are better because BYU definitely isn't the same team not because Wyoming has gotten so much better. I think Wyoming is a better team this year, but it might not add up in the W column.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote:I think are chances are better because BYU definitely isn't the same team not because Wyoming has gotten so much better. I think Wyoming is a better team this year, but it might not add up in the W column.
Just curious. Why do you think we are a better team than the one that got waxed 56-0 last year? Is it our offense? In our first 4 games, has any one of our receivers shown himself to be a game breaker or even a consistent go to guy? Is our defense capable of stopping the run? Even Southern Utah ran the ball on us effectively. After 4 games, I see a team that is worse on defense and marginally better on offense. Looking objectively, we will not have any easy wins this year. Every team we line up against will have equal or greater talent than us. I include New Mexico, UNLV, and CSU in this statement.

The most discouraging thing I saw yesterday was how our receivers rarely get any separation. They get jammed at the line of scrimmage or they are simply too slow to outrun any body. Any opposing linebacker can easily defend our glacier like tight ends. McNeil and Leonard have shown me next to nothing in their ability to outrun any corners defending them.

Even though byu is down this year, how many of our players would be starting on their team? Other than qb and some secondary players, probably no one.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote:I think are chances are better because BYU definitely isn't the same team not because Wyoming has gotten so much better. I think Wyoming is a better team this year, but it might not add up in the W column.
Don't want to pile on but through 4 games UW is ranked 119th in total offense and 111th in total defense - out of 120 D1A teams! Felt like I got kicked in the stomach when I saw it. I know 3 of the opponents are pretty good to great but this trend coupled with the stated fact that UW hasn't won in provo in 22 years has me questioning why this thread was ever started.

For the love of God, beat Toledo PLEASE!