Offensive play calling is "Tecmo"!!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

The unimaginative offensive play calling seems to be a real problem. The Cowboys do not adjust well when the 4 or 5 plays they continually run don't get the job done. This is surprising since Christensen was such a hot commodity as an OC at Missouri. But, when you consider the credentials of Marcus Arroyo our OC, there is not much experience. He has only been a full time assistant at a FBS school since 2006 and just graduated from college in 2003. I think he is damn green and it is showing.

I hope I am proven wrong on Saturday.

mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

Our two best offensive plays are called "oh poop right" and "oh poop left" when they are stopped the offense stalls, and when those two plays work the offense doesn't. Doesn't make the other team's D coord job very hard.
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Right before the season I posted that I wasn't so sure about Marcus Arroyo. His teams just don't seem to score a whole lot or get a lot of yards. However, I'm holding off judgment until we get further into the season. I wasn't expecting to win these past two games, and I wasn't surprised at the play calling. I'm hoping that we were holding back. If it's more of the same, even if it yields better results against more even opponents, then that's probably where we'll be as long as he's here. No chance against "big" teams or the top of our conference and a good chance against the middle of our conference and below.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

cowboyz wrote:Right before the season I posted that I wasn't so sure about Marcus Arroyo. His teams just don't seem to score a whole lot or get a lot of yards. However, I'm holding off judgment until we get further into the season. I wasn't expecting to win these past two games, and I wasn't surprised at the play calling. I'm hoping that we were holding back. If it's more of the same, even if it yields better results against more even opponents, then that's probably where we'll be as long as he's here. No chance against "big" teams or the top of our conference and a good chance against the middle of our conference and below.
From what the players say (that I have spoken with briefly) they love Marcus...and feel fortunate to have him as OC. Say he has a great mind for the game, and is great to play for.

That being said...the read option that he repeatedly calls...blows ass bigtime. This is groundhog day...exactly like how we started out last year, very vanilla and unimaginative most of the time. Then we woke up, and things started happening (for instance against FAU in Boca, and Utah in SLC).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

After re-watching both the Boise and Texas games, I'm semi-convinced that we were holding back a bit. I just can't imagine why the same play was called over and over - it was very reminiscent of the Glenn years. I guess I understand why that was the decision. I mean, coaches don't want to get anybody hurt, and they knew both of those games would be tough to win. It's a bit frustrating to me because it means the coaches may have ceded the game before it even started, which may be why we rolled over and died against Boise. Still, that's in the past, and I can ony hope we open it up against AF.

I'm looking forward to the game this weekend (my first in person!). I think we match up fairly well with AF, and as long as we can have a few sustained drives and keep the defense off the field for a bit, it should be fun.

GO POKES!
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

You ought to play to win every game. There should be no holding back. For me.... Arroyo is a huge question mark until I see something that looks decent on offense. So far there has been nothing.

wellpoke
Ranch Hand

WYOBISONMAN wrote:You ought to play to win every game. There should be no holding back.
I agree. I guess for our sake I'm just hopeful that they were holding back a bit. I could be very wrong, but I'd like to see the playbook opened up against AF.

GO POKES!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

wellpoke wrote:
WYOBISONMAN wrote:You ought to play to win every game. There should be no holding back.
I agree. I guess for our sake I'm just hopeful that they were holding back a bit. I could be very wrong, but I'd like to see the playbook opened up against AF.

GO POKES!
I'd like to see execution improved. No more missed tackles, a few broken blocks per game, and our defense will be stellar. A couple of correct decisions more by ACS whether to hand off or throw, better blocking, a few less dropped passes, and better lanes picked by Alexander, and our offense will be powerful.

Sounds pretty simple, no? :P
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYOBISONMAN wrote:You ought to play to win every game. There should be no holding back. For me.... Arroyo is a huge question mark until I see something that looks decent on offense. So far there has been nothing.
As Herman Edwards once screamed during a post-game press conference.....

I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!