Pokes vs. Colorado Christian

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Vt poke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm Johnson Taylor and Naughton look like the only scoring threats out there. We are playing tough d but against a D2 team. Why isn’t Trace Young playing? It’s going to be a very long season if we don’t get our crap together and we have Ny chucking up 3’s
i wanted to see him and banks
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Vt poke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm Johnson Taylor and Naughton look like the only scoring threats out there. We are playing tough d but against a D2 team. Why isn’t Trace Young playing? It’s going to be a very long season if we don’t get our crap together and we have Ny chucking up 3’s
Thought I heard Young was sick or injured recently and not up to full speed yet. Hoping Hendricks can be a spark for us...
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 pm
i wanted to see him and banks
My guess is this is Banks' suspension for the DUI.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

These guys have a lonnnng way to go. This OOC portion could get ugly. Patience required, I guess. James and Hendricks needed badly.

Last edited by POKE FAN on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Makes me sick that we get killed on the boards every night no matter who we play
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Much better second half all around
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

At least we get JJ back for the regular season.

Very poor effort as a whole.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Thoughts:

We have the potential to be a good defensive team. We have a lot of potentially good defenders.

We have the potential to be a decent rebounding team, but we won't be because of coaching. How can Edwards not see that getting O rebounds is good. He'll never be a good coach in my eyes, and this is a main reason.

Hunter Thompson looks really good. He will be a good MWC player.

Porter looks good. Probably the most pleasant surprise of the night.

Mueller looks improved. Maldonado was dreadful in the 1st half, but better in 2nd half - looks better.

Naughton looked as good as ever.

Redding is OK, but I was hoping for an upgrade there. He just can't shoot at all. Was wanting to see Banks.

Taylor, Dung, Thompson look athletic, but look like freshmen. Hopefully they have more to contribute. We'll see.

We need more shooters. geez
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Didn't get to see the game.... but really really hope that Redding isn't our next play 40 minutes a game pg just because he "fits the mold" of a pg. So beyond sick of the pokes playing a small pg high minutes just because he's a point guard. Put the most athletic 5 on the floor.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

FarmerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:43 pm Didn't get to see the game.... but really really hope that Redding isn't our next play 40 minutes a game pg just because he "fits the mold" of a pg. So beyond sick of the pokes playing a small pg high minutes just because he's a point guard. Put the most athletic 5 on the floor.
This! We don’t need our PG to be six feet. Hoping Banks is the answer. Was impressed with the freshmen. Porter looked smooth, but defensively needs a lot of work. Tariq and TJ have great offensive games, but Taylor needs to work on his FT shooting. Mueller looked ok against these guys. Should see 3-4 mins a game at best. Maldonado looked awesome in the second half when he decided to turn it up. We have the start to a decent team with Both Hunters,JJ, and the new guys. Redding and Mueller should sit in my opinion. Dung looked athletic, but into the flow. This team could be a lot like SDSU teams of past. Long and athletic, but not good offensively
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Why would he sit JJ? What's the point of an exhibition game? Why not get him some live action and get him ready for the season?

Same with Banks. Sounds like he's planning to play him... why not get him some live action? Really, really weird decisions. :?
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Why would he sit JJ? What's the point of an exhibition game? Why not get him some live action and get him ready for the season?

Same with Banks. Sounds like he's planning to play him... why not get him some live action? Really, really weird decisions. :?
I think Banks was being punished for the DUI. Once we have him Hendricks and JJ back we should have more offensive fire power. Hunter T looks like an offensive threat if he can stay out of foul trouble. Jordan looked good too but hard to tell as he was way bigger than anybody on the court.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Edwards said that he would sit James because he already knows what JJ can do. Giving his minutes to the newer, more inexperienced guys is something that I think most can agree with. I did.

It was nice to see what the newer guys could do on the floor, but using Colorado Christian as a gauge is a little problematic. This group will see MUCH more talented offensive and defensive opponents in the weeks ahead. First half was really sloppy and disjointed at times. I'm hoping this doesn't revert back to past habits of taking way too many three-point shots from the arc during first halves (with little to moderate success), and waiting until halftime to make offensive adjustments (e.g. taking the ball to the glass more often with much more success, FG percentage-wise.)

I had the audio on mute so I didn't hear why Dung only got six minutes or why Young didn't play.