I visited the CSU board earlier today

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:02 am
Cornpoke wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05 pm
I'd much rather our fans be just that arrogant rather than listening to the whining about how we can never recruit to Laramie
I don't know if it's whining so much as it is recognizing a challenge.
Yes, it is a struggle recruiting to Laramie. Does that mean we quit trying? Hell no.
Why is it a challenge to recruit to Laramie? Have any of you ever been to Clemson, SC? Laramie would make Clemson look like NYC. Same thing about Starkville, MS, there should be no reason for not wanting to play football in Laramie.
There might be one or two things Clemson has to offer where UW doesn't quite match up.
Bull-Hurley
Buckaroo

I'd much rather our fans be just that arrogant rather than listening to the whining about how we can never recruit to Laramie
Yes, it is a struggle recruiting to Laramie. Does that mean we quit trying? Hell no.
Why is it a challenge to recruit to Laramie? Have any of you ever been to Clemson, SC? Laramie would make Clemson look like NYC. Same thing about Starkville, MS, there should be no reason for not wanting to play football in Laramie.
Wyoming has 9 players in the NFL. Clemson has 33. Clemson is a threat to win a national title almost every year. Wyoming can barely get to a conference title game. Clemson plays in a major conference and Wyoming plays in a middle tier conference at best. Clemson is surrounded by talented players and Laramie is surrounded by wild life. That's why it's hard to recruit to Laramie.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Bull-Hurley wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:52 am
Wyoming has 9 players in the NFL. Clemson has 33. Clemson is a threat to win a national title almost every year. Wyoming can barely get to a conference title game. Clemson plays in a major conference and Wyoming plays in a middle tier conference at best. Clemson is surrounded by talented players and Laramie is surrounded by wild life. That's why it's hard to recruit to Laramie.
This right here is the answer. This is the ONLY consistent thing that affects recruiting. The economic opportunity at places like Clemson, Georgia, Missouri, Washington State, Boise State, etc. are far greater than Wyoming right now. These schools offer the change to play for a National Title (Boise HAS a way outside chance every year), they have sponsors and attention, they place tons of players into the NFL. Once Wyoming starts offering a better opportunity for players to enhance their national presence, or their "brand", they will start landing better players. The impact of Josh Allen (and Wentz to some extent, especially to potential QB recruits) cannot be understated. That is going to allow this coaching staff into homes they never would have had a chance with. But it takes time.

If recruiting was based on locale, amenities, events, market etc. UNLV would be a perennial National Title contender instead of very likely looking at not having a football team in the next decade. You want the best recruits, you have to win games that matter.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Bull-Hurley wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:52 am
I call poop. "Hard to recruit to Laramie" is an excuse for coaches that fail. As I have mentioned many times, Wyoming needs to recruit players from cold-weather areas, and the coaches need to sell what Wyoming has to offer. Plain and simple.

Basically, what you are saying and referring to, is that Clemson has a football budget 10 times Wyoming, right? All the rest of that is just internet diatribe.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

"Hard to recruit to Laramie" isn't an excuse, it's a fact. Plain and simple. However, as many have stated, there are ways around that: great facilities, appeal to our strengths (outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc.), put players in the league, and of course, winning.

The simple fact is that if the only intangible factor was the town (meaning all other factors were the same across all schools), UW would have a VERY hard time landing recruits over any other FBS school.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other factors in play.

Hard to recruit to Laramie...totally true.

Hard to recruit to UW...not as much.
Last edited by WestWYOPoke on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

At least they got legalized pot and all other things that makes them legit in society, give me a break, their stadium is a joke, although i heard its nice, they lie about their attendance, CSU isn't going anywhere the next few years and isn't that music to all of our ears, just hope we break out and attempt to win the MWC sometime these next 3-5 years....i still wish the power 5 would break off in their own pod and then let us lesser haves something more to play for, as National Championship appearances will never happen here at good ol UW
Last edited by stymeman on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Hard to recruit to Laramie is wayyyyyyy overblown. By far the #1 factor is coaching staff. #2 is recent success. #3 is facilities.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Bigger city kids having hard times adjusting to small town Laramie and Wyoming in general, but if they hit the books, study and go to class and practice they can truly make it for themselves. Just stay away from Colorado and the temptations that are there and get your degree, all will be fine for your life and future.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am "Hard to recruit to Laramie" isn't an excuse, it's a fact. Plain and simple. However, as many have stated, there are ways around that: great facilities, appeal to our strengths (outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc.), put players in the league, and of course, winning.

The simple fact is that if the only intangible factor was the town (meaning all other factors were the same across all schools), UW would have a VERY hard time landing recruits over any other FBS school.

Sorry - still don't agree about the excuse of it being "hard to recruit to Laramie". Erickson did it, Roach did it, Tiller did it. Tiller fed Dimel's winning teams...had Tiller stayed, who knows...

WWP - you are a product of hearing the excuse so much, you are believing it yourself. Big city poop isn't for everyone...and again, the coaches need to find the right kids, sell Laramie, and make it happen.

Your personal opinion that Clemson (or whomever) are better than Wyoming - that is what you believe. I have lived in the south - not my cup of tea, it's what I believe. I will take arid Wyoming and cold winters over sweating my nuts off 5 months of the year at 100% humidity and 100 degrees. And certainly there are football players that want the same.
Dear Karma,

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:06 pm I will take arid Wyoming and cold winters over sweating my nuts off 5 months of the year at 100% humidity and 100 degrees. And certainly there are football players that want the same.
Yep - it's pretty easy to get warm when it's cold. It's hell of a lot harder to cool down when it's both hot and humid.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:06 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am "Hard to recruit to Laramie" isn't an excuse, it's a fact. Plain and simple. However, as many have stated, there are ways around that: great facilities, appeal to our strengths (outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc.), put players in the league, and of course, winning.

Sorry - still don't agree about the excuse of it being "hard to recruit to Laramie". Erickson did it, Roach did it, Tiller did it. Tiller fed Dimel's winning teams...had Tiller stayed, who knows...

WWP - you are a product of hearing the excuse so much, you are believing it yourself. Big city poop isn't for everyone...and again, the coaches need to find the right kids, sell Laramie, and make it happen.

Your personal opinion that Clemson (or whomever) are better than Wyoming - that is what you believe. I have lived in the south - not my cup of tea, it's what I believe. I will take arid Wyoming and cold winters over sweating my nuts off 5 months of the year at 100% humidity and 100 degrees. And certainly there are football players that want the same.
I don't think Clemson is any better, I'm just saying to the average recruit, that's the perception. Also, you simply can't say that Laramie is hard to recruit to and then say that 3 guys that did it over 20+ years ago could do it. That's apples to oranges, the college game has changed too much since then.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:44 pm

I don't think Clemson is any better, I'm just saying to the average recruit, that's the perception. Also, you simply can't say that Laramie is hard to recruit to and then say that 3 guys that did it over 20+ years ago could do it. That's apples to oranges, the college game has changed too much since then.
I do agree that a lot has changed, but a lot has changed at UW as well - not like UW has been stagnant for the last 30 years. I swear we went through this before - so it doesn't need to be rehashed. I mean, f-word A - there are a ton of athletes in the northern mid-west, that UW never makes contact on that fit our program like a round peg in a round hole.

The successors of Erickson, Roach, Tiller clearly didn't make it happen, and it put UW in a rut. Dimel, Koenning, and Glenn, put UW in a funk on recruiting. Dickface almost made it out (at least offensively) and now we have Bohl and the cloud of dust knock-the-poop-out-of-you mentality - that the jury is still out on.

My point continues, it is only more challenging to recruit to Laramie, if you cannot sell Laramie, and if you are looking in the wrong gawd damned areas of the country.

Either way, great discussion, and GO POKES!
Dear Karma,

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:07 pm
I do agree that a lot has changed, but a lot has changed at UW as well - not like UW has been stagnant for the last 30 years. I swear we went through this before - so it doesn't need to be rehashed. I mean, f-word A - there are a ton of athletes in the northern mid-west, that UW never makes contact on that fit our program like a round peg in a round hole.

The successors of Erickson, Roach, Tiller clearly didn't make it happen, and it put UW in a rut. Dimel, Koenning, and Glenn, put UW in a funk on recruiting. Dickface almost made it out (at least offensively) and now we have Bohl and the cloud of dust knock-the-poop-out-of-you mentality - that the jury is still out on.

My point continues, it is only more challenging to recruit to Laramie, if you cannot sell Laramie, and if you are looking in the wrong gawd damned areas of the country.

Either way, great discussion, and GO POKES!
I definitely agree that there are areas of the country and types of athletes that UW has not done a great job of recruiting over the last 10+ years. The Northwest and, as you mentioned, the Midwest come to mind.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Most... not all but most of your top tier talent in college football is concentrated in urban areas. It’s a simple matter of math really let’s say one in 10,000 high school students has a chance at being division one talent in college football. That means there’s 2-3 kids a year at Wyoming who have the talent and skill to be d1.

In Houston Texas there would be hundreds. Those kids from Houston Texas come to Laramie and it’s completely different then they are used to, the terrain is different, the environment is different, the size of the town is drastically different. There is nothing driving that kid to pick Laramie except the football program but what makes Wyoming stand out enough to overlook the rest of the issues.

It’s fact and you have to be blind to believe otherwise. Wyoming isn’t a desirable place to live for most folks not from the mountain west region.

You can substitute any urban center for Houston and it still rings true. Laramie is a hard place to recruit and retain top level college football players.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Without going back to verify this on paper, Roach and Tiller recruited California and Texas heavily. I don't think they were bringing in a huge number of upper midwesterners. So, I'm not really worried about that now, either.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:43 pm Most... not all but most of your top tier talent in college football is concentrated in urban areas. It’s a simple matter of math really let’s say one in 10,000 high school students has a chance at being division one talent in college football. That means there’s 2-3 kids a year at Wyoming who have the talent and skill to be d1.

In Houston Texas there would be hundreds. Those kids from Houston Texas come to Laramie and it’s completely different then they are used to, the terrain is different, the environment is different, the size of the town is drastically different. There is nothing driving that kid to pick Laramie except the football program but what makes Wyoming stand out enough to overlook the rest of the issues.

It’s fact and you have to be blind to believe otherwise. Wyoming isn’t a desirable place to live for most folks not from the mountain west region.

You can substitute any urban center for Houston and it still rings true. Laramie is a hard place to recruit and retain top level college football players.
f-word me.

Washington, Idaho, Montana, ND, SD, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, etc., etc., etc. Those kids freeze their asses off in the winter, don't give me the BS that they are (ALWAYS GOING TO BE) more desirable places to live than the mountain west region (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming). Maybe it is just me defending the pride of Wyoming, but give me a break. Coldest November I can remember was in Chicago.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm Without going back to verify this on paper, Roach and Tiller recruited California and Texas heavily. I don't think they were bringing in a huge number of upper midwesterners. So, I'm not really worried about that now, either.
Skill players yes, for the most part. Trenches, no - to name just 2 off the top of my head, Dave Edeen and Mitch Donahue.

And they also recruited the JC ranks much heavier. So there is that.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:43 pm Most... not all but most of your top tier talent in college football is concentrated in urban areas. It’s a simple matter of math really let’s say one in 10,000 high school students has a chance at being division one talent in college football. That means there’s 2-3 kids a year at Wyoming who have the talent and skill to be d1.

location is actually very far down on the list of reason a recruit chooses a specific college. And maybe we do need to recruit a certain type of kid to here, which, we've been doing. And imo, it's been working out fine. I really do think we presently have the players to contend for a conference championship year in and year out, we just lack the offensive coaching. My subjective eye test tells me we are every bit as big and fast as any other team I've seen. Including Missouri.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:47 pm

f-word me.

Washington, Idaho, Montana, ND, SD, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, etc., etc., etc. Those kids freeze their asses off in the winter, don't give me the BS that they are (ALWAYS GOING TO BE) more desirable places to live than the mountain west region (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming). Maybe it is just me defending the pride of Wyoming, but give me a break. Coldest November I can remember was in Chicago.
+1. The cold in Laramie is marginally worse than other places in the west and midwest. Millions and millions of people live where it's cold. give me a break
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Tiller did it? Tiller had ONE year where he accomplished anything that Bohl or Christensen didn't. The other years are on par with all of our other coaches.

Erickson? 1 year is too small of a sample size.

I'll give you Roach.

We have NEVER had a run of success necessary to truly be able to use it for recruiting. Since I was born in 1984, we have finished a season ranked TWO times. (20th and 22nd, 8 years apart)