Thinking about "recruiting to Wyoming"...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 pm
McPeachy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm Yeah, not buying it. Things have change a LOT since 1996, Laramie is not desirable to most recruits. I'd argue it's the hardest town to recruit to in FBS.
We could probably debate this for weeks...but I agree, a LOT has changed since 1996. And I will never buy the "laramie is not desirable" poop. You have to find the right recruit, in the right area, and you have to sell it. Here are a few of the things I agree with you that have changed a LOT:

1. Weather is considerably better / nicer now than 20+ years ago. CONSIDERABLY.
2. Facilities. No comparison. 2018's facilities are FAR superior. HAPC / IPF to name a few.
3. Player stipend - not sure the exact $$, but 1996 and before didn't get poop compared to the $4000 +/- added to each athlete's coffers annually these days.
4. Community changes are immense. To name a few - HGI, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, The University Plaza (new theater & restaurants), 13 or so added restaurants, easier access to outdoor recreation, etc., etc., etc.
5. Assistance with tutor & education. Heads & shoulders above anything 1996. Massive upgrade here...and the point of it all (a good education).
6. Budget. Athletics. Football. At least 4 times the budget in 2018 than 1996 and before.

Moving on...
Not too sure about #1. I can remember washing my car on a 60 degree Christmas Day in 1986. Human beings have a lousy memory for weather...
I call poop on 1986 Christmas Day being 60 degrees in Laramie...as you state - "human beings have a lousy memory for weather..."

The winter of 2016 was the mildest I can ever remember experiencing. Then came winter of 2017, and it was an even milder winter. No longer are there 20+ consecutive days of below zero like in the 80's and 90's. Thank you global warming?!

:popcorn:
According to Google, it was a high of 29 on Christmas 1986. Maybe it was a warm 29?
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=12

List of record temps for Laramie the majority of those record highs happened In the 70s and 80s.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Recruiting is a challenge because we haven't been relevant much less consistent in the BCS-era.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

cali2wyo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm Yeah, not buying it. Things have change a LOT since 1996, Laramie is not desirable to most recruits. I'd argue it's the hardest town to recruit to in FBS.
We could probably debate this for weeks...but I agree, a LOT has changed since 1996. And I will never buy the "laramie is not desirable" poop. You have to find the right recruit, in the right area, and you have to sell it. Here are a few of the things I agree with you that have changed a LOT:

2. Facilities. No comparison. 2018's facilities are FAR superior. HAPC / IPF to name a few.
3. Player stipend - not sure the exact $$, but 1996 and before didn't get poop compared to the $4000 +/- added to each athlete's coffers annually these days.
4. Community changes are immense. To name a few - HGI, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, The University Plaza (new theater & restaurants), 13 or so added restaurants, easier access to outdoor recreation, etc., etc., etc.
5. Assistance with tutor & education. Heads & shoulders above anything 1996. Massive upgrade here...and the point of it all (a good education).
6. Budget. Athletics. Football. At least 4 times the budget in 2018 than 1996 and before.

Moving on...
Not too sure about #1. I can remember washing my car on a 60 degree Christmas Day in 1986. Human beings have a lousy memory for weather...
I call poop on 1986 Christmas Day being 60 degrees in Laramie...as you state - "human beings have a lousy memory for weather..."

The winter of 2016 was the mildest I can ever remember experiencing. Then came winter of 2017, and it was an even milder winter. No longer are there 20+ consecutive days of below zero like in the 80's and 90's. Thank you global warming?!

According to Google, it was a high of 29 on Christmas 1986. Maybe it was a warm 29?
Oops, my bad. I had a human moment. It was Christmas Day of '85.
:oops:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Moving on...

I call horsesh-t on global warming because most humans have a lousy memory for weather. It's why global warming was such an easy sale...

I remember it because it was Christmas Day, I was washing my car, and it was almost 60 and sunny. We were lucky if we had 10+ sub zero days all winter long. I'm inhuman, ask anybody else who knows me...

:twisted:
Not to get too off topic, but global warming has nothing to do with human memory. It has to do with the centuries and centuries of analytical data that shows, pretty definitively, that global warming is happening.
Triple-WY
Buckaroo

We are in a sad state of affairs if we are pimping global warming as a primary component to recruiting improvement going forward. This is what we are hanging our hat on? Come to Wyoming because it might be a couple degrees warmer than it was a century or two ago? Watch out SDSU! But, at least it was good for a chuckle.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 am
Wyovanian wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Moving on...

I call horsesh-t on global warming because most humans have a lousy memory for weather. It's why global warming was such an easy sale...

I remember it because it was Christmas Day, I was washing my car, and it was almost 60 and sunny. We were lucky if we had 10+ sub zero days all winter long. I'm inhuman, ask anybody else who knows me...

:twisted:
Not to get too off topic, but global warming has nothing to do with human memory. It has to do with the centuries and centuries of analytical data that shows, pretty definitively, that global warming is happening.
No, it shows the climate is always changing. Now, there is evidence that human activity is now affecting that change, however there is a lot of disagreement about both the consequences of that human-affected change vs. the economic and life-changing consequences of trying to mitigate that change as well as the overall efficacy of such efforts.

Interesting, though, that the records seem to indicate Laramie was warmer 30 years ago ..
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 am No, it shows the climate is always changing. Now, there is evidence that human activity is now affecting that change, however there is a lot of disagreement about both the consequences of that human-affected change vs. the economic and life-changing consequences of trying to mitigate that change as well as the overall efficacy of such efforts.

Interesting, though, that the records seem to indicate Laramie was warmer 30 years ago ..
We could probably discuss this in the off topic forum instead, but there's a reason it's called "global" warming. There'll always be local maxes and minimums - and even if the average temperature of the planet goes up 1 degree over the next 30 years or whatever, there ARE places which are probably getting slightly colder on average.

Hell, a significant temperature change could re-route the Gulf Stream and make Scandinavia REALLY cold.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 am
Wyovanian wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 am No, it shows the climate is always changing. Now, there is evidence that human activity is now affecting that change, however there is a lot of disagreement about both the consequences of that human-affected change vs. the economic and life-changing consequences of trying to mitigate that change as well as the overall efficacy of such efforts.

We could probably discuss this in the off topic forum instead, but there's a reason it's called "global" warming. There'll always be local maxes and minimums - and even if the average temperature of the planet goes up 1 degree over the next 30 years or whatever, there ARE places which are probably getting slightly colder on average.

Hell, a significant temperature change could re-route the Gulf Stream and make Scandinavia REALLY cold.
Key words there. It'll weed out the riff-raff...
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Still believe it's good recruiting but poor coaching. The more I think about it I can't count it as good overall recruiting when the defense is as talented as they've been but the offense isn't just poorly coached. Is the offense lacking talent?

Where do the first few offensive player rank in the "best player on the team list"

Wilson and wingard
Granderson ghaifan
Cooper rothe
Epps
----the no brainers---------
Sydney, hull, Tyler hall, prosser
Crall, Cain, pownell, Halliburton
----I think those guys and maybe more would all be ahead of who? Nico? Fort? Can you pick a lineman that looks good right now?

Wyoming doesn't have an offensive player among its best 10-15+ players. Of course they can't win.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 pm Still believe it's good recruiting but poor coaching. The more I think about it I can't count it as good overall recruiting when the defense is as talented as they've been but the offense isn't just poorly coached. Is the offense lacking talent?

Where do the first few offensive player rank in the "best player on the team list"

Wilson and wingard
Granderson ghaifan
Cooper rothe
Epps
----the no brainers---------
Sydney, hull, Tyler hall, prosser
Crall, Cain, pownell, Halliburton
----I think those guys and maybe more would all be ahead of who? Nico? Fort? Can you pick a lineman that looks good right now?

Wyoming doesn't have an offensive player among its best 10-15+ players. Of course they can't win.
I think you vastly underestimate how good Evans has been. EVERYBODY and their grandma knows when he's coming, and he still gets yards. He's averaged SEVEN yards per carry going into this game. That's rather unbelievable considering we always run on first down and he runs straight into a stacked box.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I know one of our problems is its tough to bring in JC guys to UW because their credits don't transfer over easily.

Another issue we have is we have a fairly high standard set for student athletes. Not many underwater basket-weaving courses.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I have a hard time believing that all these championship level head coaches at the fcs level (Glenn and Bohl) and the top assistant coach in the nation (Christiansen when hired) forgot how to coach and had more bad years then good.

Wyoming is a tough place to recruit top level talent. We get excited in here if we see a three star recruit sign with the pokes because most of the recruits we get are a two star or we are their only offer.

I know they are offering the big guys so why aren’t we landing any of them? The answer is simple despite you guys seeming to think it’s not. If you grew up in a big city, and I mean any big city, Laramie is a shock to the system. Small town with (in their mind) meager amenities, a brutal winter, etc. in our conference we compete with Hawaii, San Diego, San Jose, Fort Collins, Albuquerque, Fresno, Las Vegas, Logan Utah, Colorado Springs, Boise.

Laramie is certainly in the ballpark as many of those schools but not most of them. Wyoming is a hard place to recruit and hopefully with newer facilities we see an uptick but Laramie is a tough sell in terms of the intangibles for a lot of recruits.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Not a lot has ever changed in some aspects of recruiting to Wyo.

Wyoming will rarely get any Colorado kid that has an offer from csu or CU. used to be almost never so if there's any change on that it's progress.

The home state will not provide quantity of D1 players. Why is it that such a crazy high percentage of signed wyo kids have great results at WYO? The bar is too high for wyo kids compared some locations. The results prove it. Yeah you can't base your team around in state kids but they might take more

Yeah all those many other locations might be "better" than Laramie but in NCAA sports the "program" is even more important to many. Wyoming, like always, just needs the right kids in recruiting. They'll never attract high profile talent. They have to find and develop.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 am I have a hard time believing that all these championship level head coaches at the fcs level (Glenn and Bohl) and the top assistant coach in the nation (Christiansen when hired) forgot how to coach and had more bad years then good.

Wyoming is a tough place to recruit top level talent. We get excited in here if we see a three star recruit sign with the pokes because most of the recruits we get are a two star or we are their only offer.

I know they are offering the big guys so why aren’t we landing any of them? The answer is simple despite you guys seeming to think it’s not. If you grew up in a big city, and I mean any big city, Laramie is a shock to the system. Small town with (in their mind) meager amenities, a brutal winter, etc. in our conference we compete with Hawaii, San Diego, San Jose, Fort Collins, Albuquerque, Fresno, Las Vegas, Logan Utah, Colorado Springs, Boise.

Laramie is certainly in the ballpark as many of those schools but not most of them. Wyoming is a hard place to recruit and hopefully with newer facilities we see an uptick but Laramie is a tough sell in terms of the intangibles for a lot of recruits.
Totally agree...I tried making this point in another thread. It's not an excuse, it's reality. I think the new facilities will play a huge role in helping to attract some of those recruits that would otherwise rule us out. Basically, if we can make UW (the University) more attractive than csu, New Mexico, Utah State, etc. then it might counteract the fact that recruits don't like Laramie (the city) as much as Fort Collins, Albuquerque, Logan, etc.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 am
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 am I have a hard time believing that all these championship level head coaches at the fcs level (Glenn and Bohl) and the top assistant coach in the nation (Christiansen when hired) forgot how to coach and had more bad years then good.

Totally agree...I tried making this point in another thread. It's not an excuse, it's reality. I think the new facilities will play a huge role in helping to attract some of those recruits that would otherwise rule us out. Basically, if we can make UW (the University) more attractive than csu, New Mexico, Utah State, etc. then it might counteract the fact that recruits don't like Laramie (the city) as much as Fort Collins, Albuquerque, Logan, etc.
Since when did Logan, UT become a glamour location lol
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 am Since when did Logan, UT become a glamour location lol
Compared to Las Vegas and San Diego, I completely agree. But compared to Laramie, it is almost 5 times bigger with more options for shopping, food, entertainment, etc. Where UW beats them out is outdoor activities and facilities.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 am Since when did Logan, UT become a glamour location lol
Compared to Las Vegas and San Diego, I completely agree. But compared to Laramie, it is almost 5 times bigger with more options for shopping, food, entertainment, etc. Where UW beats them out is outdoor activities and facilities.
I thought Logan was smaller than Cheyenne?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am
I thought Logan was smaller than Cheyenne?
Logan itself is about 50,000, but the Logan metro area is 125,000.
Cheyenne has 60,000, but the Cheyenne Metro area has only 92,000.
Laramie ~ 32,000, Laramie Metro (is there such a thing??) 38,000.

When we are talking about a location in terms of amenities, food, shopping, entertainment, etc. I think using the metro area size gives a more reliable figure of how big an area truly is. For example, population of Denver is only 700,000, but we all know Denver Metro is a lot bigger than that (almost 3 million).
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

This is such a gross misrepresentation and oversimplification of a HUGE issue. Yes, there may be some of these players who flat out refuse to play for Wyoming because Laramie is isolated. But what is far more likely is that Wyoming is getting to point where they can get into the homes of higher rated recruits who have offers from other big schools. Why would anyone pick Wyoming over lets say Nebraska or Boise State or CU or Minnesota or Wisconsin (the schools I notice a lot of recent recruits also have offers from) with their histories and current opportunities? String together a few more winning seasons with guys getting drafted and more and more of these kids will start signing here.

Don't kid yourself, players dont sign on the line to play for Alabama because of Tuscaloosa.