The only thing vs. Texas that made me yell at the TV

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Tackling. Two touchdowns were scored because we tried to arm tackle or dive under the runner. There were lots of examples, though. Watching Texas hammer our boys with their tackles reminded me of the days when Trent Gamble used to "bring the wood" if you will on our opponents. What the heck?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Agree...our tackling has been an issue thus far in the season.

That being said, it is of my opinion that the switch to 4-3 has taken Knapton completely out of the game. He has feen a non-factor these first 2 games, and was a major contributor last season. I can't help but think 4 LB's on the field, playing as LB's (Oliver, Gabe, Brian, Ghali / Lewis / Whomever) wouldn't be a better option for UW.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Good point on Knapton. He made up a big percentage of our tackles last year.

I've been wondering about the move to 4-3. We took two great LB's, made them add 20 pounds and put them on the d-line, so we could "better fit our personnel." But if that was the case, why re-mold the players we have? What changed between head coaches that we can't recruit players for the 3-4 which worked so well for us? Or is it just that DC wants a 4-3 and will do whatever to get there?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I think we made the move to put our best players on the field and because it is what DC likes. We needed help on the Dline, so why not convert two linebackers. Two good linebackers, but with less speed than what we have now. But, they help the speed on our Dline. And will be great DEs with time.

I think the D looked better this week than in week #1. With increased improvement, this D could be rolling soon.

I like the move. We just need to tackle better.

Go Pokes!!!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

i would feel better about the move if they had more sacks. i thought they could maybe get there quicker than fletcher or unrein did last year.

hopefully it will come around soon. those UT olineman can just mangle folks. i hope we are better suited to combat that 2 yrs from now.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Tackling, and the pass rush, or lack thereof. I don't know if that was by design or not, but the Texas QB had all frigging day to find receivers.

Tackling is definitely the major concern though. Chris Pro needs to spend a day showing the rest of the team how to do it properly. Hitting is great, and I love to see a good pop, but we have to learn to wrap-up and quit arm tackling.

GO POKES!
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

wellpoke wrote:Tackling, and the pass rush, or lack thereof. I don't know if that was by design or not, but the Texas QB had all frigging day to find receivers.

Tackling is definitely the major concern though. Chris Pro needs to spend a day showing the rest of the team how to do it properly. Hitting is great, and I love to see a good pop, but we have to learn to wrap-up and quit arm tackling.

GO POKES!
To me it seemed like everytime they had a third down they would only rush two, both ends, and drop nine into coverage. Don't like the play call at all two ends vs 5 great lineman usually means QB sits back and picks us apart no matter whom it is. Hard to get turnovers when the QB has all day. Bring some pressure force their hands! :brick:
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I guess English felt our DBs couldn't stay with their receivers in man coverage and was afraid to blitz. I'm not sure if we could or not, but we need to send them at least some of the time to keep them guessing. I'm not sure what the answer is as far as the running game goes, but we at least need to give Alexander a chance by getting him past the line of scrimmage. When he gets past the line of scrimmage, he does ok. Tackling 101 is getting your head in front of the ball carrier and wrap up - not just hitting them and expecting them to go down or laying down in front of them. I think we are learning, but the hard way - especially against good teams. I have to agree with "theman" who said the key play of the game was when we blitzed Tashaun Gipson on 3rd down and he should have had the sack but instead ran right on past the QB which would have had them punting, but instead resulted in a TD for them. One other play that was key was when Herron missed catching the very catchable pass along the sideline.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.