People need to relax!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

By my own math power 5 programs went 17-2 against greater 5 programs

Arizona lost to (the team that shall not be named)

UCLA lost to Cincinnati

My point is it’s really hard to compete with the resources of the power 5 in today’s football games.

We had a chance and were winning the game in the 3rd quarter but just couldn’t make anything happen in the fourth
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

ZapPoke wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:28 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:04 am First, best coach since Tiller isn't saying much. Dimel had a better record. Washington st. is not a good pac 12 team and they won't be this year. We had 139 yards rushing - I'm not sure I consider that "good", especially when we had about 70 yards passing. Our Oline is slow and our Dline got pushed around yesterday. We are not a bad team - but I would say a mediocre team in a mediocre (at best) conference. The passing game didn't "come along" last year and I seriously doubt we have a decent passing game this year. Other than Josh Allen and Brett Smith, we've had unremarkable play at the qb position for the last 20 years. We have to hope TVW is the real deal because we have no other options, at least for this season.
I guess you forgot about Casey Bramlet. Three 3,000 yard passing seasons and bowl win over UCLA
Sorry. I did forget. I froze my butt off at that Las Vegas bowl. He was a very good player stuck on mostly bad teams.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm We had a chance and were winning the game in the 3rd quarter but just couldn’t make anything happen in the fourth
Because once again, we went ultra-conservative play calling on offense. It's funny how there were adjustments in the second quarter and we started moving the ball, and then as soon as we get the lead, we go back to what wasn't working and keep doing that for the remainder of the game despite lack of success.

There was so much hype about our TE group and their potential for production, and all they get to do is attempt to block on plays the defense knows are coming.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:43 pm We are staring a t a 2-5 opening 7 games and depending on how the team mentally responds to that or injuries could easily finish with something like 4 wins. I’m relaxed, this is what I expected this year. Contrary to most though I’m not a 100% believer in Bohl. I don’t think his system is fundamentally going to work at Wyoming. It only works with bigger, stronger, faster, which means you’re winning the recruiting wars basically and Wyoming is never going to have the biggest, strongest and fastest players. We had one good year with a once in a generation alignment of NFL talent on offense and one decent year on the back of a top 10 QB. Otherwise Bohls tenure has been beyond awful.
Offense/defense?

I think we’re seeing a pretty good defense. They are pretty big, strong and fast. I don’t know of too many defenses that are going to survive being in the field most of the game. These guys were gassed yesterday - rightfully so.

Offense - is conditioning not the same? I still attribute the offensive lack of performance to coaching versus lack of talent.

We’ll never recruit equal to bigger programs, no doubt, but we’ve got some pretty good athletes on both sides of the ball.

Pretty hard to be unpredictable on offense, when you are ALWAYS predictable.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It's okay for people to criticize. Nobody wants Bohl to go away. Long-time Wyoming fans know what the football gods did to the Pokes when *some* fans thought Wyoming had outgrown Tiller (the vaunted Koenning era was not far off). It's just frustrating to see the team fold like that. Geezus, I knew Wazzu had a chance to win, but to smoke Wyoming? Reality check loss.

Mizzou, Boise, Hawaii, Fresno, Utah State is a brutal stretch. There is some rebuilding season potential. Nico's injury will be a crucial factor, and TVW will need to grow up quickly to make something of this season.

All that said, it's a long season. Love you guys, but one of the funny facets of this message board is that when Wyoming does anything even remotely positive in a win, suddenly the Pokes are Rose Bowl bound. Then they inevitably lose somewhere, and then it's time to fold up tent. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. Let's see how Bohl and co. respond to getting hit in the face.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

I'll bet if you were close to Bohl and had his unfiltered response, he would be mad as hell at the offense.

There is no way to sugar coat it. 5 years in and there is no good reason to be this bad on offense, with no depth, and having to play a bunch of redshirt freshman.

I'm 100% certain Bohl will address this, and I'm damn thankful we have him. However, it is what it is on offense.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Like many here, last year's offensive play calling was ONLY saved due to an outstanding QB....the OL stunk, the play calling stunk, the running game was non-existent and the passing game was on life support. Only because the defense handed the ball to the offense so many times in great situations did our offense score so much, pure and simple. I am 110% behind Bohl, but Vigen can not have two years of offenses ranked in the 120th group...there is just no excuse for that. 20 pass attempts is pathetic, and the only time we passed is when we were dire straits!

I hate to say this but going into Missouri scares me right now....this team has lost its confidence and going into an SEC teams stadium is a tough way to try and get it back. Sorry but I do not see good things coming out of this game, I just hope that we don't have any injuries! I have been following the Pokes for 40+ years and I will love the Pokes until they pour the dirt over my head....but I am not going to sugarcoat when there are issues this obvious.

Vigen HAS TO, and I do mean HAS TO change up his play calling, he has to get much more creative...or he needs to go after this season...two years in the 120th range of offenses is unacceptable!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:05 am Bohl is great. He’s got my support, I think he’s got everyone’s support. He’s a great leader and I’m proud he’s our coach.
I believe you, though doubt about does creep in when we also read stuff like this from you:

"If this is Bohl Ball, count me out"
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

This game was pretty reminiscent of the game at Nebraska in 2016. Competitive game early, but the depth of the Autonomous 5 program wins out in the end.

I think that perspective is also important when looking forward to the rest of this season. All is not lost. We can still have a good season.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I honestly thought they had a chance to win this game, and it looked for a while like they did. I cannot figure out for the life of me in this era where quarterbacks are throwing for 450 yards regularly our offense cannot get out of its own way year after year. Missouri is going to destroy us.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

I'm as pissed as anyone concerning that collapse on Saturday, but Bohl has set a foundation to be competitive for years to come. The HAPC should enhance recruiting and player development, but to what extent we don't/won't know for a few years, as Bohl mentioned recently. Hazelton's impact has already been seen -- as long as the defense isn't spending an inordinate amount of time on the field because the offense is ineffective.

After watching a replay of the game (up until the collapse), even the color announcer stated at times that the offensive play calling was "too predictable". Not to be a Vigen defender, because the play-calling can frustrate you and/or put you to sleep, but my question is this: This is Bohl's fifth year. This is a developmental program. How can there be so many freshmen playing on the offensive side of the ball at this point in Bohl's tenure? Two RBs, THREE O-linemen, one TE (with a big dropped pass deep in WSU territory) and Vander Waal, so far. The O-line is the big concern. TWO true freshman started last year for a good part of the season and the offense couldn't run the ball. Three R-Frosh starting this year (until Velasquez recovers). How long before we see experienced, quality seniors and juniors manning most of the O-line?
Last edited by POKE FAN on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:07 pm This game was pretty reminiscent of the game at Nebraska in 2016. Competitive game early, but the depth of the Autonomous 5 program wins out in the end.

I think that perspective is also important when looking forward to the rest of this season. All is not lost. We can still have a good season.
I mostly agree, but we need to pump the brakes on expectations for TVW. He's clearly not RS Sophomore year Josh Allen early on, and expecting drastic improvement might be unfair.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:42 pmNot to be a Vigen defender, because the play-calling can frustrate you and/or put you to sleep, but my question is this: This is Bohl's fifth year. This is a developmental program. How can there be so many freshman playing on the offensive side of the ball at this point in Bohl's tenure? Two RBs, THREE O-linemen, one TE (with a big dropped pass deep in WSU territory) and Vander Waal, so far. The O-line is the big concern. TWO true freshman started last year for a good part of the season and the offense couldn't run the ball. Three R-Frosh starting this year (until Velasquez recovers). How long before we see experienced, quality seniors and juniors manning most of the O-line?
It seems to be where most of the defections have taken place. I'm not going to place blame on one side or another, it's just the reality of the situation.

Not that it's a ton better, but Chandler Garrett would've been a redshirt sophomore with three seasons in the system. Or, if you will, Josh Allen would've been a senior. Overstreet would've been an upperclassman had he stayed healthy. Fort went out with injury, forcing youth in there.

Like you said, this is a developmental program. Probably moreso than the likes of a Boise State. Which may mean that instead of prolonged streak of sustained success, you'll see one or two high-water years every four to five years before the program has to reload. When there are defections, it can hurt the upside of the program in those stronger years because it throws the timeline off.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

None of the defections have forced Vigen to run the ball up the middle on first and second time after time, even when it has nothing but poor results. Allen wouldn't have more success with those third and long completions a vast majority of the time if he was still here - it would be just like last year. He might be able to scramble for first down every once in a while, but he'd be at 3rd and 7 to 3rd and 12 just like TVW.

I REALLY liked what I saw from Overstreet at the end of last season, but this year's Evans is even better. Still... a runningback can only do so much on their own when the defense knows exactly what play is coming.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:14 pm None of the defections have forced Vigen to run the ball up the middle on first and second time after time, even when it has nothing but poor results. Allen wouldn't have more success with those third and long completions a vast majority of the time if he was still here - it would be just like last year. He might be able to scramble for first down every once in a while, but he'd be at 3rd and 7 to 3rd and 12 just like TVW.

I REALLY liked what I saw from Overstreet at the end of last season, but this year's Evans is even better. Still... a runningback can only do so much on their own when the defense knows exactly what play is coming.
Evans is running like Brian Hill did; with power and plowing through defenders. But yeah, we need to mix things up more so that he isn't gang tackled in the backfield so much.
svpoke
Buckaroo

Am I really the only one who thought UW would be a 6 or 7 win team this year? My assumption was that the D would keep them in a lot of games and hopefully the offense would do just enough to win. My expectations haven’t changed and I am completely relaxed. I like where the program is going because it is actually becoming a program. I don’t get all of the pitchforks and torches.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

You don't have to have a great offense but you certainly need to have a consistent one. Our defense has the talent to keep the game close but if our offense doesn't take advantage of turnovers consistently and put some nice drives together, its going to be tough. Vigen is just not the guy. Our offensive scheme is not going to work if we are predictable and run first most of the time. Missouri is going to hammer us because they have some talent on offense and our offense will be lucky to get past the 50 on their own. I will be shocked if we score.....seriously.....
gpsit
Buckaroo

I have been following the Cowboys since Bohl and his coaching staff left NDSU. Your message board reads much like ours has in the past by various members. The season is not won or lost on one game and your not going to win every game. It sucks to lose, but you learn more from losing than winning. We had many jumping all over Vigen in Fargo as well after a loss. I don't know how young your starters are on this years team, but the playbook is very, very complicated. It takes time for the players to learn the playbook, thus Coach V. doesn't likely have the full playbook available until the players learn it thoroughly. That was what happened at NDSU. Once the players learned the playbook, he could call a far better game. These same coaches are recruiting well and will give you a winning season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

gpsit wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:52 am I have been following the Cowboys since Bohl and his coaching staff left NDSU. Your message board reads much like ours has in the past by various members. The season is not won or lost on one game and your not going to win every game. It sucks to lose, but you learn more from losing than winning. We had many jumping all over Vigen in Fargo as well after a loss. I don't know how young your starters are on this years team, but the playbook is very, very complicated. It takes time for the players to learn the playbook, thus Coach V. doesn't likely have the full playbook available until the players learn it thoroughly. That was what happened at NDSU. Once the players learned the playbook, he could call a far better game. These same coaches are recruiting well and will give you a winning season.
Vigen sucks
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Wait, so our younger players got to have more of the playbook available for the second quarter, were successful with it, and then the playbook got closed again because it's too complicated?