If this is Bohl Ball, count me out

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

How terrible was that 2nd half? wow. Penalties, yeesh.

Is Bohl really going to go down this way? I'm beginning to think he can't see we suck on offense. There is no other explanation. There are literally 25 HS coaches in the state that could design a more complex, more efficient, high-scoring offense. It's insanity that he hasn't made wholesale changes in personnel. Mind blowing. You can't win consistently when you pathetically go 3 and out MOST of the possessions. That's a recipe for disaster.

I mean how predictable is our offense? seriously? I bet opposing D coordinators love playing Wyoming. It would be so easy. pathetic :rofl: . change is needed

We have the talent on O! we really do. it's not the kids' fault. it's the coaching
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

For the first time in decades. I’m on board just wish we could put together a great offensive year like two years ago and a great defensive games
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:52 pm
We have the talent on O! we really do. it's not the kids' fault. it's the coaching
What metric are you basing this on? recruiting rankings? eye test? I love the armchair types claiming that Wyoming has such great talent and if we only had some innovative head coach it would solve all of our woes. It feels like the conceit here is that Wyoming is a sleeping giant of football excellence and that, as fans, we should accept nothing less than strings of conference titles interspersed with the occasional reloading year. ... News flash: Wyoming has sniffed a conference championship exactly ONE TIME in the current century and it was with Craig Bohl. Geez...take a step back from the ledge. The boys came out and laid a complete egg today...Coach's fault? Probably. Players fault? Probably. Wyoming is never going to be talented enough to play the mistake prone football that was on display today and beat good teams.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:57 pm For the first time in decades. I’m on board just wish we could put together a great offensive year like two years ago and a great defensive year
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Such a depressing performance today. Our D couldn't get any consistent pressure, and our offense is just blah to watch. We aren't going to ever be a P5 type program. (Kills me byu is spanking Arizona)
Some say Bohl finds diamonds in the rough and develops them. Well, that can only go so far. We need more 3 star guys. We will lose next Saturday, but we will compete in conference play, and probably have a 7 win season. We just can't play with the big boys.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

phxpoke wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:44 pm Such a depressing performance today. Our D couldn't get any consistent pressure, and our offense is just blah to watch. We aren't going to ever be a P5 type program. (Kills me byu is spanking Arizona)
Some say Bohl finds diamonds in the rough and develops them. Well, that can only go so far. We need more 3 star guys. We will lose next Saturday, but we will compete in conference play, and probably have a 7 win season. We just can't play with the big boys.
Hopefully the hapc gets us better recruits but it’s a shame what money has done to widen the gap in college football. Wyoming can’t be in the conversation with the big boys of college football because the money gap is so huge.

I think we see a lot of overreaction on losses soon after they happen. I was disappointed that our defense didn’t do more in this game as I thought we had the defense to hang with just about anybody but we were leading this game in the 3rd quarter. There were positives and overall we can build on those.

The difference between power 5 and non power 5 is growing which is why you see a rarity when a non power 5 beats a power 5. I’m sure power 5 records against non power 5 teams have at least an 85% win percentage.

This is why I am in favor of having a g5 playoff with the remaining teams not in a ny6 bowl and fight it out for the best among your peers.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:06 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:52 pm
What metric are you basing this on? recruiting rankings? eye test? I love the armchair types claiming that Wyoming has such great talent and if we only had some innovative head coach it would solve all of our woes. It feels like the conceit here is that Wyoming is a sleeping giant of football excellence and that, as fans, we should accept nothing less than strings of conference titles interspersed with the occasional reloading year. ... News flash: Wyoming has sniffed a conference championship exactly ONE TIME in the current century and it was with Craig Bohl. Geez...take a step back from the ledge. The boys came out and laid a complete egg today...Coach's fault? Probably. Players fault? Probably. Wyoming is never going to be talented enough to play the mistake prone football that was on display today and beat good teams.
eye test. I believe Bohl actually does have a special eye for talent. Everyone including me thought the d was beyond repair and all it took was one personnel change to unlock the potential. Why can’t it be that way with the offense? The players look fast enough, big enough and strong enough. Bohl passes off on every recruit, somehow we managed to put every single one on d?

Does a team like Hawai’i have way better talent than us? No. Usu? Heck no. If we had either of these teams’ offenses we’d be a top 25 team. You’re saying that’s not possible?
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

phxpoke wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:44 pm Such a depressing performance today. Our D couldn't get any consistent pressure, and our offense is just blah to watch. We aren't going to ever be a P5 type program. (Kills me byu is spanking Arizona)
Defense was mostly fine. You just can't give a quick strike offense 14 possessions or they're going to start racking up points. Half their points even came late, and part of that was probably Prosser being hurt.

I thought the idea with our team was to try to run clock to keep scores low and then efficiently use our own possessions so our D would get plenty of rest in between being on the field.

Sure, we did use up clock every time our offense was on the field. Like 2 minutes each time. Problem was that we got 3 yards in those 2 minutes, while Wazzu used theirs to get 80.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:50 am
Defense was mostly fine. You just can't give a quick strike offense 14 possessions or they're going to start racking up points. Half their points even came late, and part of that was probably Prosser being hurt.

I thought the idea with our team was to try to run clock to keep scores low and then efficiently use our own possessions so our D would get plenty of rest in between being on the field.

Sure, we did use up clock every time our offense was on the field. Like 2 minutes each time. Problem was that we got 3 yards in those 2 minutes, while Wazzu used theirs to get 80.
Agree, the problem with Vigen's approach of running the ball up the middle every first and second down is all the 3 and outs aren't actually a ball control offense. Mixing it up some with some sweeps, screens, short passes, etc., even at the expense of a few dropped balls/miss-throws that stop the clock would be a better ball control offense because we would get more first downs overall. More first downs means more bleeding of the clock overall.

Look no further then the first quarter and beginning of second quarter vs. the later parts of the second quarter. I believe it was our first 6 or 7 first down calls (including the penalty that was then redone) were runs up the middle and most were stuffed for 3 or less yards. Then in later parts of the second quarter we had a drive where we did a WR sweep on first down for 10 yards, a playaction pass on the next first down for a nice gain, and then another WR sweep on first down for a TD. 3 first down calls that mixed it up and we immediately drove 40 or so yards for a TD.

Then inexplicably in the 3rd and 4th quarter and go back to run up the middle every first down and score only the fg on the first drive and then score no more.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WyomingAg wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 am Look no further then the first quarter and beginning of second quarter vs. the later parts of the second quarter. I believe it was our first 6 or 7 first down calls (including the penalty that was then redone) were runs up the middle and most were stuffed for 3 or less yards. Then in later parts of the second quarter we had a drive where we did a WR sweep on first down for 10 yards, a playaction pass on the next first down for a nice gain, and then another WR sweep on first down for a TD. 3 first down calls that mixed it up and we immediately drove 40 or so yards for a TD.

Then inexplicably in the 3rd and 4th quarter and go back to run up the middle every first down and score only the fg on the first drive and then score no more.
I think this is pretty much a perfect summary of all our losses where we had the lead somewhere around mid-game. Same thing seems to happen every time.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

After that first drive in the second half- nothing. No wonder the defense gave up 28. The Boise-@Hawaii-@Fresno stretch just got bigger with Hawaii playing well again this week. We most likely will go into that stretch 2-2. Going 1-2 in the first 3 games of conference play ends any chance at winning the division. Utah St looked pretty stout too.