WYOMING @ New Mexico State - Guess the Score

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Pokes will eek out a TD and two field goals and win 13=10. I just hope we will be able to watch it somewhere!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Will it be on aggievision? Does JVK know?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Has anyone had the chance to see Tyler Vander Waal play? Spring game, maybe? High school stats and Hudl film only do so much. Expecting Josh Allen is unfair, but I'm not sure what to expect at all really. So much of the offense's hopeful progress rests with him.

I've seen enough of Smith, thank you very much.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

J-Rod wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:53 pm Has anyone had the chance to see Tyler Vander Waal play? Spring game, maybe? High school stats and Hudl film only do so much. Expecting Josh Allen is unfair, but I'm not sure what to expect at all really. So much of the offense's hopeful progress rests with him.

I've seen enough of Smith, thank you very much.
Watched him closely at the spring game. My thoughts then were that he has all of the physics tools necessary. Strong arm with good mobility for his size (obviously not josh Allen level physical skills but pretty damn good). Downside I saw was what you would expect out of a freshman...indecision with where to go with the ball, staring down his target and big troubles when the pocket broke down. Also, he was playing against mostly 3rd stringers on the defensive side of the ball, and, while he played decent, he didn’t light it up like you would hope against 3rd stringers. However, no comparison to Nick Smith and there is no way Smith will start over him.

I believe NMSU on the road will be a big challenge for him. Ball security will be the number one key for Vander Waal.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think he is the second coming of Brett Smith ( better college QB than Allen imo). Different offense but same type of player ( bigger than Smith also). I expect a fumbled snap his first play than he lights it up.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

TVW is big and pretty mobile. Not JA that’s for sure, but he could be a good one. All depends on his feel for the game. We shall see soon!
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Utah State fan here.

Pokes: 17
Wrong Aggies: zip

You guys have a legitimate top 10 defense. They lost most of their offensive production.

Your game with the Right Aggies should be good this year. Love you guys, but I hope we come out on top.

Go Pokes! Go (Right) AGGIES!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:52 pm Will it be on aggievision? Does JVK know?
I don't know. That's just a guess at this point. I would assume that it would be, at minimum, if another station doesn't pick the game up.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

One thing about TVW - he doesn't throw fastballs on screens and swing passes, so maybe we'll have more success in that part of the game, even though we don't have the long bombs anymore.

I'm hoping we'll see a strong and confident Overstreet knocking some blocks off. If that's the case, we win 24-10.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Give me Cowboys 7-3. I have zero preseason confidence in the offense.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 pm I think he is the second coming of Brett Smith ( better college QB than Allen imo). Different offense but same type of player ( bigger than Smith also). I expect a fumbled snap his first play than he lights it up.
If freshman TVW is freshman Brett Smith, this team wins a MW title
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Until I see any kind of competent offensive play calling/execution/everything I have a hard time confidently predicting the Pokes to beat anyone with a pulse. I can’t forget what this team has looked like under Bohl minus NFL caliber talent on offense.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:56 am Until I see any kind of competent offensive play calling/execution/everything I have a hard time confidently predicting the Pokes to beat anyone with a pulse. I can’t forget what this team has looked like under Bohl minus NFL caliber talent on offense.
:cry: I'm afraid you're right. :cry: The Fresno st and SJSU games are still burned in my memory - and they are painful. However, I don't think NMSU has too much of a pulse. slight, pulse, but not much. Our prodigious d can drag us to a W.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:49 am
marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 pm I think he is the second coming of Brett Smith ( better college QB than Allen imo). Different offense but same type of player ( bigger than Smith also). I expect a fumbled snap his first play than he lights it up.
If freshman TVW is freshman Brett Smith, this team wins a MW title
You mean, + any type of real running game
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Good win on the road, late, last few seconds FG POKES get er done 31-27
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 am Good win on the road, late, last few seconds FG POKES get er done 31-27
That is a really high predicted score for two teams known for their defenses and both starting brand new QBs. Not saying it won't happen but that prediction is going out on a limb.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm
stymeman wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 am Good win on the road, late, last few seconds FG POKES get er done 31-27
That is a really high predicted score for two teams known for their defenses and both starting brand new QBs. Not saying it won't happen but that prediction is going out on a limb.
48 of the 58 points predicted might be from defensive and special teams scores, lol.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

For those of you that predicted that NSMU would score more than 24, you must have forgotten that this defense only allowed more than 24 points in ONE game last year (and we faced some pretty solid teams). That’s consistentcy!!

Ain’t gonna happen this game either!

WYO - 24
NMSU - 17

Side note: FWIW here’s a list of common opponents and outcomes for the 2017 season.

WYO - 42 UNM - 3; NMSU - 30 UNM - 28
WYO - 46 TX ST. - 10; NMSU - 45 TX ST. - 35
WYO - 28 USU - 23; NMSU - 26 USU - 20 (OT)
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

I could see this game turning out a lot like the bowl against Central Michigan last year. A lot of talk about both defenses leading up to the game, then a complete blowout for one of the teams not named Wyoming.

Love this time of year!!! Go Pokes!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Wyoming 20
NMST 13
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...