Opening Day: @ New Mexico State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It's mid-July. MWC Media Days are close and fall camp not too far behind them. About time we start talking game specifics.

Pokes open up on the road in Las Cruces in Week 0, one of a handful of games that August Saturday. Wyoming is currently a 6-point favorite.

NMSU went to a bowl game for the first time in a very, very long time in 2017. Almost beat Arizona State and a strong Troy team. Did beat New Mexico...closed the season beating Utah State in their bowl game. Preseason magazines say they'll lose basically everything meaningful on offense, but return a strong defense. Sound familiar?

Thoughts on the game? Do the Cowboys cover the spread?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Too many question marks on the offense right now to really tell.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I'm with fromolwyo, I have absolutely zero faith that our offense is going to be anything, but terrible. Any result would not surprise me, especially since NMSU seems to have things turned around.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:21 am I'm with fromolwyo, I have absolutely zero faith that our offense is going to be anything, but terrible. Any result would not surprise me, especially since NMSU seems to have things turned around.
The preseason magazines have been weird. I'm all for the offense turning things around, but I'd like to hear arguments more substantive than, "Well, things can't get any worse."
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:21 am I'm with fromolwyo, I have absolutely zero faith that our offense is going to be anything, but terrible. Any result would not surprise me, especially since NMSU seems to have things turned around.
The preseason magazines have been weird. I'm all for the offense turning things around, but I'd like to hear arguments more substantive than, "Well, things can't get any worse."
We saw them get worse when Josh sat out a couple of games. Vigen needs to seriously rethink his overall gameplan as his "just enough" wasn't "enough" when Josh was out of the game last year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Our defense is slightly better than theirs. Our offense is about the same honestly.

Whomever makes the fewest mistakes, and wins the turnover battle, will win the game.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:57 am Our defense is slightly better than theirs. Our offense is about the same honestly.

Whomever makes the fewest mistakes, and wins the turnover battle, will win the game.
Yeah, I've only watched them once (bits of their bowl game vs. USU), but their defense is supposedly pretty good. Has the makings of a 17-10 type game.

Buuuut a loss would suck the life out of anticipation for the Wazzu game, so any win will do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

J-Rod wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 pm
McPeachy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:57 am Our defense is slightly better than theirs. Our offense is about the same honestly.

Yeah, I've only watched them once (bits of their bowl game vs. USU), but their defense is supposedly pretty good. Has the makings of a 17-10 type game.

Buuuut a loss would suck the life out of anticipation for the Wazzu game, so any win will do.
No doubt about that. We need to win. 7-6 would be fine by me.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Can't wait to watch our D have a stellar year, for a change...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 am Can't wait to watch our D have a stellar year, for a change...
I mean, they were unreal last season. They held opponents to 17 PPG and led the nation in turnover margin (1st out of 130 schools) in 2017. I'm not sure if they can do much better than that. The turnover numbers especially are likely to come back to Earth.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:35 am
stymeman wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 am Can't wait to watch our D have a stellar year, for a change...
I mean, they were unreal last season. They held opponents to 17 PPG and led the nation in turnover margin (1st out of 130 schools) in 2017. I'm not sure if they can do much better than that. The turnover numbers especially are likely to come back to Earth.
We lost our two starting CBs, but return everyone else, as well as develop the depth behind the starters. I don't know about turnover margin, but I think the defense will be down right scary this year.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Feeling pretty good about our Special Teams as well. Definitely will make the difference in the close games.
I'm good for 3!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:05 pm
J-Rod wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:35 am
We lost our two starting CBs, but return everyone else, as well as develop the depth behind the starters. I don't know about turnover margin, but I think the defense will be down right scary this year.
Agree, and I personally hope that means no blowout losses this year. Even with how good the d was last year we still got blown out by Oregon and seems we have at least one game like that every year. I would like to have a year where we are in every game and no blowout losses
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It's really difficult to project with what we don't know. For example if we have key defensive players out due to rule violation or injury etc. But I will say I will be disappointed if we lose to New Mexico State with the defense that we have coming back. I think as good as they were last year, that they could be even better this year. That's pretty amazing when you consider our defense gave up an average of less then 20 points per game and led the nation in turnovers. Our defense should keep us in EVERY single game
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I’m going to guess we win 21-10. I think KO and Nico step up and move the ball.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

I'm glad that NMSU is our opener this year. Will give us a better gage on the season than opening at Iowa. If the offense isn't substantially better than the two games that Allen sat last year, we will lose. The defense was not able to overcome San Jose St by itself last year. If the offense is able to avoid 8 straight 3 and outs and the defense is as mean as last year, we win.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'll probably look dumb for saying this, but I think the Pokes beat Wazzu even if they were to shockingly lose to NMSU. Everything I've read about the Cougs...Bohl and co. couldn't have possibly gotten them in a more vulnerable position. @Wyoming is not what the doctor ordered for that Cougar offense on opening day.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 pm I'll probably look dumb for saying this, but I think the Pokes beat Wazzu even if they were to shockingly lose to NMSU. Everything I've read about the Cougs...Bohl and co. couldn't have possibly gotten them in a more vulnerable position. @Wyoming is not what the doctor ordered for that Cougar offense on opening day.
Defense wise, I'm not worried.

But the offense has a lot to prove going forward. They still need to be able to move the ball and score at least a couple of times.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I think the offensive players are capable of winning 8 games this year. But I don't think Vigen is up to making it happen.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Las Cruces is a fun place to visit, would be fun but I'm going to Columbia, MO instead this year. Would be good for all the good green chile etc....