Inexcusable.....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I agree that Vigen needs to go. I'm not a fan of pointing out that Bohl is 6-20 without Josh Allen. Bohl brought Allen to Wyoming so he gets no credit for that? Our program was in football Hell, Bohl has gotten that turned around and now we're acting like we are seriously considering a coaching change? I'm all for changing coordinators and such but to bring up FCS losses from 4 years ago and ignoring that we've gotten out of football Hell blows me away. We lost the last two games after losing our playmaker on offense. It's inexcusable to lose to SJSU but stupid injuries cost us this game and the last. Our program is better than three years ago and there's no way we thought we would be better on offense this year. We would be 9-3 with a healthy Allen and things are still going forward in my opinion even though we lost this game. We are the 2nd best team in the league pretty much if healthy.....we have to remember that.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

I would argue that play and personnel selection (running backs) had more to do with the last 2 losses than injuries.

Bohl kept talking about the "next man up" when it came to injuries. I feel like there was both a recruiting and player development failure at QB in that regard. The backup guy has to be at least serviceable.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

It's tough for a back up quarterback compared to other positions. Truly, Josh Allen playing wins both games.... easily..... our running backs did great today so I can't pin today on them. It appeared that several times today plays were there but Nick didn't make the throw, so I can't totally blame the play calls...... I think that it came down to QB play and we lost because of the inability to sustain drives with balance. Josh Allen is our difference maker.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:37 pm It's tough for a back up quarterback compared to other positions. Truly, Josh Allen playing wins both games.... easily..... our running backs did great today so I can't pin today on them. It appeared that several times today plays were there but Nick didn't make the throw, so I can't totally blame the play calls...... I think that it came down to QB play and we lost because of the inability to sustain drives with balance. Josh Allen is our difference maker.
I agree we would have won them - I just don't think it would have been easy. Our running game has been so damn inconsistent this year. Wish we still had Hill this year. I think we would be 2-3 more wins at this point.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

I guess when I say easily, I mean we lost to Fresno State by 6 points and San Jose State by 3..... can we assume on an average day that Josh Allen gets 2-3 drives for touchdowns? I mean.....we almost won both games without him.....and should have.....

I find it interesting that Josh suddenly wouldn't have been good enough to win these games. Fresno State pretty much scored 6 points without the fumbled punt and they got those points because we couldn't put drives together. I can easily assume that he'd tear San Jose State apart. Especially considering how well we ran the ball.

In my opinion, I think Allen could have beaten Fresno State something like 28-10 and San Jose State something like 35-7.... Josh would have kept drives alive and made some plays to get scores while keeping the defense off the field.

I have no clue why Smith is so bad. He's not played much for 2 years but he's so inconsistent. His interceptions were costly today and really ended up as a 14 point swing. I thought Vigen had enough plays set up for a win but Nick didn't execute. Vigen is not what we need at Wyoming and if we're going to get a new QB next year, we are better off with a new OC......
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 155 times

Somehow we managed to out due CSU. That being said, I’d rather have the last 2 years than what we’ve had before. Just hope we don’t waste another good D next year
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 132 times

Many of the games we were largely outplayed. Wins matter most, and it was fun watching this team find ways to win.
I am concerned at the apparent talent level in year 4. Didn't we suffer through the worst year in WYO history to have it pay dividends? The MWC is poop now. The hurdle isn't that high.
I'm 100% on board with Bohl and say his seat should be ice cold for 3 years minimum. However, I'm starting to believe we can't eat the elephant in the room one bite at a time. I think back to an interview with Glenn where he asked another coach why you can't win at WYO and the response was essentially "that's just the way it is". We've tried every angle on coaching. It's been more than 1 AD. Hell, even diluting the conference down closer to fcs than big-time college football still hasn't really worked out for us.
Stick with Bohl and give him 100% support no matter who he puts where. Trust him to do his job. If it doesn't work in a weak conference, then, well I don't know. Maybe I do, but just refuse to believe/say it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

We just got a good look at next year's team. Neat huh?
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 68 times

Look at what Tedford did at Fresno st. One win last year and now on the verge of winning the conference.

I'm so sick of hearing how it takes 7 years and the program was in such terrible shape. Always excuses why we can't win. 8-6 and 7-5. Maybe that's our ceiling. When we had Heath at the helm of the bb program, I divested myself emotionally or I would have gone crazy. I'm finally there with the football program. We lost to a team yesterday whose only other win was Cal poly. They were pretty much blown out of every game. What does say about the state of our program when we lose one player and we can't compete?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:12 am We just got a good look at next year's team. Neat huh?
No. Next years team will be worse because of seniors leaving and Vigen not.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think Vigen stays but maybe Bohl will send him somewhere to pick up some wrinkles on the play calling. Or maybe Bohl takes a look at recruiting strategies, I know he doesn't like the juco route but Hollister and Allen were excellent juco pick ups.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:22 am Look at what Tedford did at Fresno st. One win last year and now on the verge of winning the conference.

I'm so sick of hearing how it takes 7 years and the program was in such terrible shape. Always excuses why we can't win. 8-6 and 7-5. Maybe that's our ceiling. When we had Heath at the helm of the bb program, I divested myself emotionally or I would have gone crazy. I'm finally there with the football program. We lost to a team yesterday whose only other win was Cal poly. They were pretty much blown out of every game. What does say about the state of our program when we lose one player and we can't compete?
Agree. Sjsu is so bad that other teams down a player still beat them by 40. Our program has some bad underlying problems when we lose a single player and suddenly cant compete.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 68 times

I was so mad this morning that I was thinking we should can Bohl and bring in Kevin Sumlin. He coached under Tiller and he understands offense. At least he did when turned Houston around and then A & M. It will never happen, of course. But it will take that kind of hire for us to compete.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:49 am I think Vigen stays but maybe Bohl will send him somewhere to pick up some wrinkles on the play calling. Or maybe Bohl takes a look at recruiting strategies, I know he doesn't like the juco route but Hollister and Allen were excellent juco pick ups.
A wrinkle like, its possible to run something besides a dive on first down?
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't get why we can't have a coach that puts a more equal approach to offense and defense.

Maybe Tom Burman is a genius, fire a defensive coach and replace him with someone who can fix the offense. Makes fans happy. That coach ruins a competent defense and makes the offense respectable. Fire that coach and hire a defense minded coach. Defense becomes more than good (fans are happy) until the offense development is ignored and becomes horrible. Burman can probably sneak in another coaching hire to fix this offense and give that coach an extension. He has figured out how to maintain longevity in the AD world. Kudos!

All kidding aside, I think Bohl is smart enough to see that something needs fixed. He will likely go the route of bringing in an offensive consultant and hopefully that works.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 am I was so mad this morning that I was thinking we should can Bohl and bring in Kevin Sumlin. He coached under Tiller and he understands offense. At least he did when turned Houston around and then A & M. It will never happen, of course. But it will take that kind of hire for us to compete.
Personally I don't think Sumlin would do any better than anyone else has. I think it is harder to compete at football at Wyoming in today's landscape because of how things are. Sumlin would be like another Dave Christiansen, an offense that can score points against bad teams but wouldn't do a whole lot OOC and the defense would be horrible. I think Nick Saban would have problems winning consistently in Laramie to be honest because of how things are. I don't think it matters who the coach is. Sure coaching can help and make some teams not as bad as others but I think the way college football is now winning consistently year in and year out in Laramie probably isn't going to happen. You might win some now because Wyoming plays in a conference with other bad teams.

How good is our defense really? Sure it was good in the MWC which is the only thing that matters I guess but against other FBS teams in P5 conferences our defense was torched for 42 first half points against Oregon. So we think our defense is good because we play in a poop conference against other poop teams. When we actually face P5 schools we get lit up.

I have said this before and lots of people may not like it but Wyoming should put a lot more money towards basketball where they can actually compete with teams across the country and not worry as much about football. I would rather be a Wichita St. or Gonzaga type basketball program and compete year in and year out with teams across the country more so than watching this mediocre to bad football every year.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 155 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:03 am
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 am I was so mad this morning that I was thinking we should can Bohl and bring in Kevin Sumlin. He coached under Tiller and he understands offense. At least he did when turned Houston around and then A & M. It will never happen, of course. But it will take that kind of hire for us to compete.
Personally I don't think Sumlin would do any better than anyone else has. I think it is harder to compete at football at Wyoming in today's landscape because of how things are. Sumlin would be like another Dave Christiansen, an offense that can score points against bad teams but wouldn't do a whole lot OOC and the defense would be horrible. I think Nick Saban would have problems winning consistently in Laramie to be honest because of how things are. I don't think it matters who the coach is. Sure coaching can help and make some teams not as bad as others but I think the way college football is now winning consistently year in and year out in Laramie probably isn't going to happen. You might win some now because Wyoming plays in a conference with other bad teams.

How good is our defense really? Sure it was good in the MWC which is the only thing that matters I guess but against other FBS teams in P5 conferences our defense was torched for 42 first half points against Oregon. So we think our defense is good because we play in a poop conference against other poop teams. When we actually face P5 schools we get lit up.

I have said this before and lots of people may not like it but Wyoming should put a lot more money towards basketball where they can actually compete with teams across the country and not worry as much about football. I would rather be a Wichita St. or Gonzaga type basketball program and compete year in and year out with teams across the country more so than watching this mediocre to bad football every year.
Didn’t we just get torched by Cinci?
W-Y, Until I Die!
cfootball16
Buckaroo

There is no doubt yesterday's game was a hard one to swallow for everyone and I'm absolutely sure that includes every player and coach on the team. That being said, I have no doubt this team will use it as motivation to make every effort to not have it happen again. From what I have seen, this team is made up of a bunch of fighters and I expect the next time they step on the field things will look much different. I am very proud of this team and although disappointed about yesterday, I am still excited about being 7-5, another bowl appearance and the prospects of many great games to come. I think some tend to forget how young this team is and with that, some growing pains occur. Especially on offense. Take a look at the 2 deep depth chart: DEFENSE: Freshman- 4, Sophomore- 7, Junior- 7, Senior-4 OFFENSE: Freshman- 5, Sophomore- 6, Junior- 9, Senior- 2. (half of the two deep are freshman and sophomores) With the playing experience the youth of this team is getting along with some strong recruiting classes, the table is set for many great games to come.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah we did but they are probably a top 5 or 6 team. No different than Alabama beating us 60-0 in football and you can compete a lot more easily in basketball than you can football. There is no debate about it. All you have to do is look at how many small schools compete in basketball. In football different story.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:29 am

Also you put more money in football at Wyoming it won't do much of anything. You put more money into basketball it can go a lot further.