Is CSU's new ball park actually a disadvantage for CSU?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 am Big Cable is scared. They were able to kill off the dial-up and DSL providers pretty quickly at the turn of the century and build some big regional monopolies. Then the streaming services came along, and your seeing people drop traditional tv packages at a faster growing rate. This is why ESPN has been firing so many people - they are over priced - and losing revenue. It won't be long until they can't afford to prop up the P5 with over inflated TV money.

One of the biggest hurdles could be Net Neutrality. I encourage everyone who enjoys being able to access whatever content they want on the Internet to support Net Neutrality. While this has been a long debate since the mid 90's, its a growing priority for the cable companies to get Net Neutrality rules removed so they can control 3rd party streaming content and force Revenue Generating Units (customers) back into their own traditional models - so they don't have to risk innovation.

I truly think a lack of competition in Internet Service Providers has brought this debate back again. It is a brave new world, but I think the best thing is giving the consumers what they want, not what the cable co wants.
Thank you for this post. The Internet as we know it is under serious attack, and unfortunately the stooge put in charge of FCC (Ajit Pai) wants nothing more than to be able to give the Comcasts and the CenturyLinks everything they want.

I'm sure you've all seen variations of this picture:

The only thing unrealistic about this specific one is that there's no way ESPN and CBS Sports would be in the cheap package.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Disadvantage #3 doesn't have anything to do with an on-campus stadium. On-campus is a pro in almost every way except the initial building costs.

I have mixed feelings about ditching ESPN. On one hand, ESPN sucks, on the other, I'd rather not return to the days of a fixed mount camera at the 50-yard line zoomed out for the entire field.
52-56
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:18 am
WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 am Big Cable is scared. They were able to kill off the dial-up and DSL providers pretty quickly at the turn of the century and build some big regional monopolies. Then the streaming services came along, and your seeing people drop traditional tv packages at a faster growing rate. This is why ESPN has been firing so many people - they are over priced - and losing revenue. It won't be long until they can't afford to prop up the P5 with over inflated TV money.

One of the biggest hurdles could be Net Neutrality. I encourage everyone who enjoys being able to access whatever content they want on the Internet to support Net Neutrality. While this has been a long debate since the mid 90's, its a growing priority for the cable companies to get Net Neutrality rules removed so they can control 3rd party streaming content and force Revenue Generating Units (customers) back into their own traditional models - so they don't have to risk innovation.

I truly think a lack of competition in Internet Service Providers has brought this debate back again. It is a brave new world, but I think the best thing is giving the consumers what they want, not what the cable co wants.
Thank you for this post. The Internet as we know it is under serious attack, and unfortunately the stooge put in charge of FCC (Ajit Pai) wants nothing more than to be able to give the Comcasts and the CenturyLinks everything they want.

I'm sure you've all seen variations of this picture:

The only thing unrealistic about this specific one is that there's no way ESPN and CBS Sports would be in the cheap package.
Yep - I've seen it. Scary stuff. I'd post more, but I've really derailed this thread.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I buy media for a living and am doing some of the things mentioned for our clients already. ConnectedTV has me more excited than any other ad medium (streams, set top box based content, social based video). The value to me is like someone mentioned before, data. As an advertiser, data is powerful. It allows us to reach exactly who we want with very targeted creative. Knowing exactly who is watching a football game would be so valuable. If I was any of the social media platforms, I would be making a play at this from the platform side. With ESPN canning every talent they have, it would be fairly easy to find some anchors. They would drive platform signups and be able to sell ads at a premium due to increased targeting capabilities. Plus, advertisers would be able to pull real time data on viewership and ad interaction. It could also make for some really cool reactionary creative in the ads. The next few years will be interesting. As an above poster mentioned, we have only scratched the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by wyocowboy2014 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Privacy is dead. :(