The Journey Begins: Practice Starts Monday

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Let's try this again and keep things strictly football-related. As Cowboy Junky said, practice starts on Monday. Technically, the off-season is finally over.

Aside from obviously avoiding injuries, what are you guys looking for in fall camp?
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I'm hoping that we see some of our young wideouts step up and give me optimism about our passing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I think Josh Allen is goin to work with these new receivers until they have blisters or callouses on their hands (maybe he already has through the last month or so). Now it's up to the receivers to learn the routes.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think James price will surprise at WR. Him and Johnson will be better than solid, Conway will be a threat again in jet sweeps and when we use a slot receiver. John Okwoli and Parker Dumas will be last years CJ Johnson's ( should be more receiving opportunities than the younger guys for last year. Last year no reason for Gentry to come off the field).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

I am excited to see if there is anyone among the freshmen, true or redshirt, that is going to make an impact on defense. I bet there is going to be someone that blows us away.

I'm so excited to see a full season of Granderson. He's going to be a monster on the edge. Granderson, Prosser, Windsor, lolohea, Meader(if he can play anywhere close to what his physique says he can he'll contribute) and the numerous freshmen I;ll bet we lead the conference in sacks. Not to mention Ghiffan, Maluuluu and Cain getting better.

Of course it'll be interesting to see how RB, WR, TE, LB, and CB shake out.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:16 pm I think James price will surprise at WR. Him and Johnson will be better than solid, Conway will be a threat again in jet sweeps and when we use a slot receiver. John Okwoli and Parker Dumas will be last years CJ Johnson's ( should be more receiving opportunities than the younger guys for last year. Last year no reason for Gentry to come off the field).
Very curious as to what Okwoli will do. I believe he was a 3 star rating with ASU looking at him hard. It should be fun watching Overstreet with a full load with Evans at #2. Mike Green was a causality in the off season correct?
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

I know that when Cummings went down last year there was talk about him potentially missing games this season as well. Anyone know how he is doing? Is he good to go?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:57 pm I am excited to see if there is anyone among the freshmen, true or redshirt, that is going to make an impact on defense. I bet there is going to be someone that blows us away.

I'm so excited to see a full season of Granderson. He's going to be a monster on the edge. Granderson, Prosser, Windsor, lolohea, Meader(if he can play anywhere close to what his physique says he can he'll contribute) and the numerous freshmen I;ll bet we lead the conference in sacks. Not to mention Ghiffan, Maluuluu and Cain getting better.

Wouldn't that be something....after several years of not being able to get near the opposing quarterback. I hope you're right!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

wyoair wrote:
marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:16 pm I think James price will surprise at WR. Him and Johnson will be better than solid, Conway will be a threat again in jet sweeps and when we use a slot receiver. John Okwoli and Parker Dumas will be last years CJ Johnson's ( should be more receiving opportunities than the younger guys for last year. Last year no reason for Gentry to come off the field).
Very curious as to what Okwoli will do. I believe he was a 3 star rating with ASU looking at him hard. It should be fun watching Overstreet with a full load with Evans at #2. Mike Green was a causality in the off season correct?
Mike Green is still listed on the new 2017-2018 roster

W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:37 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:57 pm I am excited to see if there is anyone among the freshmen, true or redshirt, that is going to make an impact on defense. I bet there is going to be someone that blows us away.

Wouldn't that be something....after several years of not being able to get near the opposing quarterback. I hope you're right!
Yeah, I can't remember when we last had consistent QB pressure. We do have some talent, but it feels like we almost always had some talent - just not depth. I'm not entirely sure we have depth still...
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It wouldn't be that much of a surprise. Granderson averaged a sack a game before he got hurt last year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:54 pm

It wouldn't be that much of a surprise. Granderson averaged a sack a game before he got hurt last year.
We were pretty decent at getting pressure on the QB last year....even after losing sack master Granderson. Prosser was in the top 5 in the league. And the Pokes finished tied for 2nd (AFA) with 30 sacks each. SDSU lead the league.

Wyoming, with what we return, should be in the hunt for the MWC sack title this year.

Go Pokes!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:

Yeah, I can't remember when we last had consistent QB pressure. We do have some talent, but it feels like we almost always had some talent - just not depth. I'm not entirely sure we have depth still...
I think we're 5 deep at DE. Maybe 6 with the good things I've heard about Garrett Crall. My concern is and always is DT. Only 3 deep unless Brent Gilliland is legit. Or one of the frosh DTs is good to go. LB still worries me. DJ may and Wacha will be hard to replace

W-Y, Until I Die!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Bring it Pokes and come outta the gate from start to finish as a team I expected to see and actually lived up to the hype for a change, long time coming at good ole UW
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

This has been an extremely long offseason, and I feel like I'm completely out of the loop on many things. Trying to get back into a rhythm of checking this site daily for updates.

Personally, the best development of the offseason for me is I can now watch CBS Sports Network without having to go to those crappy websites. If you're a cord-cutter and Youtube TV is available in your area, I recommend trying it out solely for the sports availability. Unlimited DVR storage too!

Excited for the season to start!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:13 am This has been an extremely long offseason, and I feel like I'm completely out of the loop on many things. Trying to get back into a rhythm of checking this site daily for updates.

Personally, the best development of the offseason for me is I can now watch CBS Sports Network without having to go to those crappy websites. If you're a cord-cutter and Youtube TV is available in your area, I recommend trying it out solely for the sports availability. Unlimited DVR storage too!

Good to know. I've toyed around with the idea of YouTube TV. From what I've seen, it's next to perfect for sports fan.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:13 am This has been an extremely long offseason, and I feel like I'm completely out of the loop on many things. Trying to get back into a rhythm of checking this site daily for updates.

Has YouTube TV started? We recently moved pretty far out of town and this has been our plan due to the available channels and due to the cloud DVR option (which helps a lot when internet service is not all that fast).
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I'm going to look at Youtube TV a bit closer now. Do you guys think it will have all the games this year?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 pm I'm going to look at Youtube TV a bit closer now. Do you guys think it will have all the games this year?
Looks like it should have 8 of the games.

5 games on ESPN networks (Youtube TV gets ESPN2, ESPNU, and can link to ESPN3)
2 games on CBS Sports Network
1 game on BTN (I'm assuming the channel is available nationwide?)

Only games currently left out are Gardner Webb, Texas State, Utah State, Fresno State. I'm guessing all of these would either be on ROOT, the merged CampusInsiders website or available through the school/conference website or on Twitter.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo