Pacific

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

With the success of the FB team, it seems like the basketball OOC is passing quickly and it is already time for the Pokes to hit the road and take on Pacific and Cal for a West Coast swing.

Looking at Pacific and I think that game will be much harder than I thought prior to the season. They were not great a year ago (8-20), but they made a coaching change in the offseason and it seems to be working.

Damon Stoudamire is the head coach now and while they are 1-2, a deeper look reveals a very competive team. They lost at UCLA, not a big deal. They lost on the road at UC-Irvine who is pretty good (UCI took Cal to OT) in a very close game and they beat a good Green Bay program by 18 in Stockton.

The coaching staff for Pacific is of some interest to Wyoming fans. Other than having a well known ex-player as a Head Coach, their coaching staff includes Leonard Perry (recently departed from Eustachy's staff at CSU), Jaydee Luster (former Poke) and Luke Wicks (Wyoming native).

I think this will be the Pokes biggest challenge to date. A split on this road trip would be very good IMO.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:Other than having a well known ex-player as a Head Coach, their coaching staff includes Leonard Perry (recently departed from Eustachy's staff at CSU), Jaydee Luster (former Poke) and Luke Wicks (Wyoming native).
Played college ball over here in my neck of the woods. Actually, he played for arguably my alma mater's biggest rival...and my brother laced up against him in a couple of Wicks' four years. Heck of a player!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Direct link for tomorrow's stream (GoWyo.com will also have it via the GameCenter): https://livestream.com/accounts/11394379/events/6580872
jbeiermann
Ranch Hand

^Thanks for posting stream!
GO POKES!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

I liked Jaydee Luster
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Find what's wrong with this preview:

The Wyoming Cowboys are not highly touted but here they are at 3-0 which might be a sign of things to come or just a good start. The Cowboys come off a 77-67 victory against visiting South Dakota State on Saturday where a 41-32 second half run broke open a close game. The Cowboys won the battle of marksmanship 44%-34.5% with a few more baskets and free throws winning it. The Cowboys received a game high 24 points and eight rebounds from Mike Daum on 7-10 from the floor with Chris Howell and Reed Tellinghuisen adding 12 and eleven points respectively with the latter hauling in eight rebounds.

http://sportschatplace.com/college-bask ... FMODPbu.99
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 155 times

LanderPoke wrote:I liked Jaydee Luster
For your taste in PGs, this surprises me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote:

Jaydee could defend like a mutherfocker. He was lightning quick, super athletic, could drive the lane at will and dish to teammates. All things Lieberman can't do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote:
laxwyo wrote:

Jaydee could defend like a mutherfocker. He was lightning quick, super athletic, could drive the lane at will and dish to teammates. All things Lieberman can't do.
Jaydee could defend. No doubt about that. He made himself a pain the ass for opposing ball handlers. As far as the rest of it though I think time has distorted your view of Luster. He was not that proficient at getting in the lane and even less proficient at generating offense from it because he wasn't a threat to finish and didn't suck in the defense to a great degree. He did create some offense, but not much. His presence also limited the offense since he didn't need to be guarded beyond the 3-point line.

I don't mean to criticize Luster, I enjoyed his effort, but his game had some serious limitations.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I still haven't seen a reason why Lieberman and Kelley won't play big minutes this year.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 155 times

What nowhere said. I remember great D. Not much else. Drive into the lane and have to shoot the ball straight up or it'd get rejected. He has good ball handling skills but I'd be curious to see his assist to TO ratio. That being said, I really liked him and he was scrappy as hell

W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cowboy Junky wrote:I still haven't seen a reason why Lieberman and Kelley won't play big minutes this year.
They'll play big minutes because we don't have anyone better.....yet! Next year we're going to be loaded
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Find what's wrong with this preview:

The Wyoming Cowboys are not highly touted but here they are at 3-0 which might be a sign of things to come or just a good start. The Cowboys come off a 77-67 victory against visiting South Dakota State on Saturday where a 41-32 second half run broke open a close game. The Cowboys won the battle of marksmanship 44%-34.5% with a few more baskets and free throws winning it. The Cowboys received a game high 24 points and eight rebounds from Mike Daum on 7-10 from the floor with Chris Howell and Reed Tellinghuisen adding 12 and eleven points respectively with the latter hauling in eight rebounds.

http://sportschatplace.com/college-bask ... FMODPbu.99
It would seem they have placed Daum, Howell, and Tellinghuisen on Wyoming's team....welcome kids :rofl:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:I still haven't seen a reason why Lieberman and Kelley won't play big minutes this year.
They'll play big minutes because we don't have anyone better.....yet! Next year we're going to be loaded
I think Kelley's minutes are a product of the early schedule, the injury to Adams, and the injury to Marshall.

He'll still get minutes this year, if our ball handlers are injured or in foul trouble, but I'm guessing our rotation for the season will be nine guys. I think Kelley will play when we need a ball handler and none are available due to injuries/fouls. Marshall will play when none of our athletic smalls are available due to injuries/fouls. Barnes will play when we play teams with big physical posts.

Lieberman, Gorski, McManimal, Herndon, Naughton, James, Adams, Dalton, and Moemeka.

I think that's our rotation by conference season.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Honestly, all I remember about Luster was pulling my hair out because our offense was beyond inefficient when he was on the floor. Opposing teams packed the paint against us because he was treated like a center on the perimeter. I literally remember games where the guy who was guarding JayDee would be in the paint when Luster was top of the key. Teams would often leave him completely unguarded on the arc, and thus would have 5 on 4 advantage on everyone else, particularly Adam Waddell and Leonard Washington down low.

Wasn't much of a surprise when the team after JayDee left, was a light-years better offensive team with Gilmore running the point. That was the team that was undefeated and ranked 25th before the infamous bar fight debacle and subsequent derailment.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
I think Kelley's minutes are a product of the early schedule, the injury to Adams, and the injury to Marshall.

He'll still get minutes this year, if our ball handlers are injured or in foul trouble, but I'm guessing our rotation for the season will be nine guys. I think Kelley will play when we need a ball handler and none are available due to injuries/fouls. Marshall will play when none of our athletic smalls are available due to injuries/fouls. Barnes will play when we play teams with big physical posts.

Lieberman, Gorski, McManimal, Herndon, Naughton, James, Adams, Dalton, and Moemeka.

Anyone know anything yet on Adams status? Also what's the Marshall injury you mention?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

FarmerPoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:

Anyone know anything yet on Adams status? Also what's the Marshall injury you mention?
Marshall had some kind of shin splints or ankle tweek, something like that has been keeping him out: a nagging injury.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Pokes are a two point dog tonight which I don't necessarily disagree with. Pacific has not been scintillating on the offensive end so far (FG% or FT%-wise), though, so if the Pokes play solid team defense and hit the boards, they have a good shot to grab a road W. The Tigers have allowed two of their three opponents to shoot over 50% from the field, also.

Another good test to grow as a team tonight. Grab a dub, Pokes.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:Direct link for tomorrow's stream (GoWyo.com will also have it via the GameCenter): https://livestream.com/accounts/11394379/events/6580872
18 minutes from tip.....the video link is live