Shyatt retirement rumors...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:Shyatt has earned the right to take whatever time he needs to make his decision (if there is one to make). Shyatt came in and resurrected the program. It is insane to believe that there would be better options for coaching Wyoming basketball at this point in time.
Resurrected? I am not sure I would call it that.... He is one miracle away from accomplishing nothing. I wouldn't call finishing between 4th and 8th every season "resurrected". I certainly do not want Papa Shy to leave but I wouldn't advocate anyone to beg him to stay either. There are plenty of coaches out there who could do as much in this situation as he has.
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

Consider stories like this: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ukes-coach

Not saying anything at all is taking place on that level within the AD. But...attendance is poor, accomplishments are similar and eventually the home crowd gets restless. Joe Glenn gone. Dave Christensen gone. Each had one or more successes. So Larry got a MWC Tourney? He also has marginal stats overall and a poor conference record as a head coach period. Sometimes the pride factor means you call the shot instead of someone else doing it for you. Perhaps Burman had the post season performance review with the man in the yellow sweater and said things cannot continue on the current path as the program is expected to demonstrate better achievements within the MWC. The man in the yellow sweater may have a perspective of "bite me". After all, it sounds like Shyatt has been like that on the radio post game interviews towards the fans that do not clamor after the program upon loss after loss. Sorry Larry, but going 5-10 in the last 15 games just does not leave fans enthusiastic about the direction of the program.

Might as well compare.

Matt Brady: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Brady

Larry Shyatt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Shyatt

I personally do not believe Larry Shyatt will ever lead UW to the MWC regular season title. Not that failing to win the MWC is a complete show stopper, but topping out in a tie for 4th the best in 11 years of being a head coach is not something that makes me or a lot of the fan base optimistic that anything other than somewhere between 8th and 4th is what can be expected. A coach who has had 2 winning conference seasons in 11 years and an overall conference coaching record of (.370) does not impress upon me as the coach to bring success.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:Shyatt has earned the right to take whatever time he needs to make his decision (if there is one to make). Shyatt came in and resurrected the program. It is insane to believe that there would be better options for coaching Wyoming basketball at this point in time.
Resurrected? I am not sure I would call it that.... He is one miracle away from accomplishing nothing. I wouldn't call finishing between 4th and 8th every season "resurrected". I certainly do not want Papa Shy to leave but I wouldn't advocate anyone to beg him to stay either. There are plenty of coaches out there who could do as much in this situation as he has.

I am pretty sure when he leaves one of the assistants has already been picked to take over. So should be business as usual with one new assistant added. Don't think there is going to be some big search for a coach. So if he does retire this week then they already have the coach ready to be named right away and there won't be much of an effect. You will still have all of the recruiting ties in place with all of the kids you have been recruiting as well.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I don't like the thought of Shyatt retiring now, especially because I was hopeful he could be our version of Steve Fisher. I hope he still can be, but I can't blame the guy if he believes it's time to ride off into the sunset. Personally I don't think he will, because he feels he still has something to prove here.

My question though is what happens if he does retire. Do the reins get handed immediately over to Jeremy Shyatt? He seems to be a decent coach, but I don't know that he's ready for the head slot. What about Duncan? Definitely ready, but does he want to stick around Laramie? I hope so if Shyatt does retire.

And what about the current roster? All of these guys were brought in by Shyatt. If he leaves and we don't keep one of the assistants as head coach, how many of them jump ship? I'd imagine we keep JMac and a few who saw playing time (Herndon, Gorski, Lieberman). But the younger guys may take off, especially the 5 involved in the suspension.

I don't know. I hope this is all rumor, but my fear is that Shyatt leaving now puts us right back where we were five years ago. I don't want to see this, and I hope the administration does whatever it takes to keep him around a few more years. Here's hoping.

GO POKES!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wellpoke wrote:I don't like the thought of Shyatt retiring now, especially because I was hopeful he could be our version of Steve Fisher. I hope he still can be, but I can't blame the guy if he believes it's time to ride off into the sunset. Personally I don't think he will, because he feels he still has something to prove here.

My question though is what happens if he does retire. Do the reins get handed immediately over to Jeremy Shyatt? He seems to be a decent coach, but I don't know that he's ready for the head slot. What about Duncan? Definitely ready, but does he want to stick around Laramie? I hope so if Shyatt does retire.

And what about the current roster? All of these guys were brought in by Shyatt. If he leaves and we don't keep one of the assistants as head coach, how many of them jump ship? I'd imagine we keep JMac and a few who saw playing time (Herndon, Gorski, Lieberman). But the younger guys may take off, especially the 5 involved in the suspension.

I don't know. I hope this is all rumor, but my fear is that Shyatt leaving now puts us right back where we were five years ago. I don't want to see this, and I hope the administration does whatever it takes to keep him around a few more years. Here's hoping.

GO POKES!
All the more reason this needs to play out soon. If he wants to leave, no hard feelings, but lets get moving. Let us find someone who wants the opportunity. I am afraid this is going to stretch out well into the offseason and we will be screwed when it comes time to look for a new coach. And I do believe we will look elsewhere. Why would we immediately turn the reigns over to Younger Shy? What has he done to prove he deserves the key to the castle? And If Shyatt leaves, who's to say we wouldnt benefit from a complete change of philosophy? Its not like we have been dominating under Shy's slow it down, grind it out style.... If were going make a change, lets make a change
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

In 2 years as a head coach at Montana, Wyoming did not go wrong getting Jim Brandenburg.

So here is this coach who has been at Montana for 2 years:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_DeCuire

And then there is this success story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Rahe

Just saying - there are way better options than Jeremy Shyatt. Jeremy would definitely be a "suck"cessor.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

DeCuire is going to be a very hot commodity when/if he hits the market. He's young, recruits very good talent, and relates to the players well. Montana has been very fortunate with him so far. He won't be here long.
ImageImageImageImage
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

PorkerPoke, what do you have against Larry Shyatt? You talk about him like he is on a Schroyer level. "man in the yellow sweater" hahaha why are you so down on the Shyatt's?

I will say this about him "resurrecting the program". We should have been better this year given we had Josh but the talent level of our post players is pretty bad right now. On the other hand the final results in the previous 4 seasons don't reveal how close we were to going to multiple NCAA's. Major bad breaks in those years prevented us from being really successful in those years.
I would definately say he has resurected the program from where we were with schroyer
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

rich22 wrote:PorkerPoke, what do you have against Larry Shyatt? You talk about him like he is on a Schroyer level. "man in the yellow sweater" hahaha why are you so down on the Shyatt's?

I will say this about him "resurrecting the program". We should have been better this year given we had Josh but the talent level of our post players is pretty bad right now. On the other hand the final results in the previous 4 seasons don't reveal how close we were to going to multiple NCAA's. Major bad breaks in those years prevented us from being really successful in those years.
I would definately say he has resurected the program from where we were with schroyer
I wouldnt call "being really close" to the NCAA as resurrected. I would call what Shaka Smart did at VCU as resurrecting a program. He took them from obscurity to a power with sustained success. I would call the job being done at Wichita State a resurrection. We have been irrelevant nationally and we still are. And we are not getting steadily better. I wouldn't say we have been resurrected
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Who do you guys want to hire then? Go look back at Wyoming basketball and see what anyone has done here. No one has done much since Brandenburg except for Shyatt. McClain won because of Shyatt's recruits and after those players were gone he sucked.

I'm not saying Shyatt is the end all be all but not seeing who Wyoming could get that would be better quite frankly.

Brandenburg did it in the 80's also , times are a lot different now.

If Wyoming got someone worth a crap they would be gone in 2 years anyways so it really doesn't matter. Unless Wyoming starts paying the basketball coaches a couple million a year we won't ever be that relevant for a sustained period of time. Wyoming won't be paying the basketball coach 2 million a year anytime soon either so think this whole discussion is pretty much pointless.

Porperpoke wants to diss on Shyatt every chance he gets but he must be bad at history because if he looks back he won't see anyone doing much at Wyoming ever except for a couple of coaches.

So as much as people want to push Shyatt and his staff out they have the 2nd best winning percentage at Wyoming since the 1950's. Shyatt and staff have won 60% of their games between the first and second times he was here. I guess we should be careful what we wish for because we could go back to Schroyer type ball if we aren't careful.

I say if Shyatt retires let Allen Edwards take over.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

denverpoke
Buckaroo

It took Fisher 7 years to win consistently. Prior to that, his records at SDSU are worse than Shyatt's. We need to have continuity to build a winner. I have no problem of having any of Shyatt's assistants to take over..AMHO
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote:Who do you guys want to hire then? Go look back at Wyoming basketball and see what anyone has done here. No one has done much since Brandenburg except for Shyatt. McClain won because of Shyatt's recruits and after those players were gone he sucked.

I'm not saying Shyatt is the end all be all but not seeing who Wyoming could get that would be better quite frankly.

If Wyoming got someone worth a crap they would be gone in 2 years anyways so it really doesn't matter. Unless Wyoming starts paying the basketball coaches a couple million a year we won't ever be that relevant for a sustained period of time. Wyoming won't be paying the basketball coach 2 million a year anytime soon either so think this whole discussion is pretty much pointless.

Porperpoke wants to diss on Shyatt every chance he gets but he must be bad at history because if he looks back he won't see anyone doing much at Wyoming ever except for a couple of coaches.

So as much as people want to push Shyatt and his staff out they have the 2nd best winning percentage at Wyoming since the 1950's. Shyatt and staff have won 60% of their games between the first and second times he was here. I guess we should be careful what we wish for because we could go back to Schroyer type ball if we aren't careful.

Read my posts, I DONT want Shyatt to leave. I would prefer he stay. But if he's going to leave, I would prefer he do it in a timely manner.

And 2nd best winning percentage? What has that gotten us? We ran off a coach with more post season accolades so why does Shyatt get a pass? Because he's beaten a ton of non-conference patsies and then stumbled come conference? Gimme a break. The MWC lately has been as soft as ever and we have struggled. McClain would have won a lot of games in this MWC
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote:Who do you guys want to hire then? Go look back at Wyoming basketball and see what anyone has done here. No one has done much since Brandenburg except for Shyatt. McClain won because of Shyatt's recruits and after those players were gone he sucked.

Read my posts, I DONT want Shyatt to leave. I would prefer he stay. But if he's going to leave, I would prefer he do it in a timely manner.

And 2nd best winning percentage? What has that gotten us? We ran off a coach with more post season accolades so why does Shyatt get a pass? Because he's beaten a ton of non-conference patsies and then stumbled come conference? Gimme a break. The MWC lately has been as soft as ever and we have struggled. McClain would have won a lot of games in this MWC
A lot more if it weren't for some bar incidences and injuries. Just reached the top 25 before Martinez got booted. Top 3 before Larry went down for the year. Swept last years conference champ (reg season) when he had Larry.....lost a couple when he and Herndon went down with mono.

So, in reality, the record and post season appearances could've/should've been better.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 242 times

seattlecowboy wrote: So as much as people want to push Shyatt and his staff out they have the 2nd best winning percentage at Wyoming since the 1950's. Shyatt and staff have won 60% of their games between the first and second times he was here. I guess we should be careful what we wish for because we could go back to Schroyer type ball if we aren't careful.
My thoughts exactly. Few good coaches are jumping at the opportunity to come to Laramie. Shyatt has provided a blueprint for putting out a competitive team at Wyoming (this blueprint involves a lot of player development as we simply aren't going to recruit with the likes of UNLV and SDSU).
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote: So as much as people want to push Shyatt and his staff out they have the 2nd best winning percentage at Wyoming since the 1950's. Shyatt and staff have won 60% of their games between the first and second times he was here. I guess we should be careful what we wish for because we could go back to Schroyer type ball if we aren't careful.
My thoughts exactly. Few good coaches are jumping at the opportunity to come to Laramie. Shyatt has provided a blueprint for putting out a competitive team at Wyoming (this blueprint involves a lot of player development as we simply aren't going to recruit with the likes of UNLV and SDSU).
So since nobody want to come to Laramie and winning 60-% of games is god like. Shouldn't they just let his kid be the head coach?
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote:

A lot more if it weren't for some bar incidences and injuries. Just reached the top 25 before Martinez got booted. Top 3 before Larry went down for the year. Swept last years conference champ (reg season) when he had Larry.....lost a couple when he and Herndon went down with mono.

So, in reality, the record and post season appearances could've/should've been better.
Why do the "What ifs" only apply to Shyatt?

How would McClain's tenure have looked if Ugo hadn't wrecked his knee and then Bailey wrecked his? Both of those teams went 8-6 in MWC play (better than any Shyatt team except 14-15) after losing their best player to a knee injury early in the season. In between those two injury plagued seasons were back to back regular season conference titles, a NCAA appearance and a NCAA win. If those two injuries don't occur, we could be talking about a program that won 4 consecutive MWC titles with multiple NCAA berths (02-03 certainly would have been a NCAA team if Bailey stayed healthy) and possibly multiple NCAA wins. McClain likely would have landed a Power Conference job after that and we would remember McClain the way we do Brandenburg.

Not saying McClain is better than Shyatt, but every coach has to deal with injuries and attrition. It's part of the game. What Quinn Higgins? Maybe Schroyer could have had at least a respectable showing if Afam had stayed healthy (ok, probably not but you get the idea). Injuries occur at every school. I don't see anybody on here giving Eustachy a pass after losing Clavell or Rice/Simon for all the injuries/issues UNLV faced this year (both UNLV and CSU finished ahead of our healthy team for the record).

In terms of the topic at hand, lets hope Shyatt stays. We are better off with him at the helm than if Burman is tasked with finding his successor. Ideal situation is Shyatt sticks around for 3 more years and builds a decent program again before handing over the reins to Edwards (assuming Duncan would retire as well considering his age by that point). We have some talent gaps but in basketball that can be fixed and there is enough young talent here to at least get started.

It is frustrating that we are kind of back to square one in terms of roster development, but I would rather have Larry Shyatt coaching that roster than just about anyone else.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

Why do the "What ifs" only apply to Shyatt?

How would McClain's tenure have looked if Ugo hadn't wrecked his knee and then Bailey wrecked his? Both of those teams went 8-6 in MWC play (better than any Shyatt team except 14-15) after losing their best player to a knee injury early in the season. In between those two injury plagued seasons were back to back regular season conference titles, a NCAA appearance and a NCAA win. If those two injuries don't occur, we could be talking about a program that won 4 consecutive MWC titles with multiple NCAA berths (02-03 certainly would have been a NCAA team if Bailey stayed healthy) and possibly multiple NCAA wins. McClain likely would have landed a Power Conference job after that and we would remember McClain the way we do Brandenburg.

Not saying McClain is better than Shyatt, but every coach has to deal with injuries and attrition. It's part of the game. What Quinn Higgins? Maybe Schroyer could have had at least a respectable showing if Afam had stayed healthy (ok, probably not but you get the idea). Injuries occur at every school. I don't see anybody on here giving Eustachy a pass after losing Clavell or Rice/Simon for all the injuries/issues UNLV faced this year (both UNLV and CSU finished ahead of our healthy team for the record).

In terms of the topic at hand, lets hope Shyatt stays. We are better off with him at the helm than if Burman is tasked with finding his successor. Ideal situation is Shyatt sticks around for 3 more years and builds a decent program again before handing over the reins to Edwards (assuming Duncan would retire as well considering his age by that point). We have some talent gaps but in basketball that can be fixed and there is enough young talent here to at least get started.

It is frustrating that we are kind of back to square one in terms of roster development, but I would rather have Larry Shyatt coaching that roster than just about anyone else.
Exactly. People around here act like were the only team in College Basketball who have had bad things happen over the last 5 years. Good lord. Every team loses players and has injuries. SHYATT just hasn't built the depth to absorb the injuries.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Shyatt is a quality coach and I would say the chances are that his successor will be a downgrade compared to Shyatt. Having said that, I think you overrate his accomplishments a little bit. While his overall record of .600 is better than that of Dees (.575) or McClain (.577), his conference record is much more in-line with those guys (and Wright) than with Brandenburg. Here are the conference records going back to Brandenburg:

Brandenburg: 87-51

Dees: 47-51

Wright: 32-38

Shyatt: 46-52 (includes 9-5 in first go around)

McClain: 67-63

Schroyer: 18-46

Brandendburg and Schroyer are the clear outliers here on both sides. The others are all pretty close. Shyatt gets some extra credit for following Schroyer, but loses points as he has had the luxury (or curse in some ways) of playing in a weakened MWC compared to what the other coaches (and Shyatt himself at first) had to deal with.

Long story short, the chances that our next coach is the next coming of Jim Brandenburg is pretty slim. Shyatt is likely better positioned to help us succeed than a new hire would be. That doesn't mean that Shyatt's accomplishments are unimpeachable.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

I wasn't speaking to you specifically just a few who seem to think Shyatt sucks. I'm not saying SHyatt should get a pass but not sure who else Wyoming coul actually attract that is worth a crap honestly.

As far as McClain winning a lot of games I disagree. McClain wasn't that good of a coach. He would have won less games in my opinion. He just got lucky getting hired at the right time the right recruits had been brought in before him.