Holmgren article about athletic spending vs K-12 cuts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

My point was more to there's a reason colleges have athletics or else hardly any college would be in the athletics business.. it drives revenue.. maybe not directly as most ADs are money losers, but it has far more economic impact than the athletic dept.. the university sees increases in donations, cities profit from game days, many reasons why athletics are schools are a big deal. A lot people are too short sighted or ignorant to realize this.
ImageImageImageImage
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times

I'm already seeing this article being shared all over Facebook with nasty comments. This is not going to go over well. The bottom line is the football team better start winning, and it better start winning next season, or all hell is going to break loose.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

MrTitleist wrote:My point was more to there's a reason colleges have athletics or else hardly any college would be in the athletics business.. it drives revenue.. maybe not directly as most ADs are money losers, but it has far more economic impact than the athletic dept.. the university sees increases in donations, cities profit from game days, many reasons why athletics are schools are a big deal. A lot people are too short sighted or ignorant to realize this.
Oh, I absolutely agree. What I'm getting at, though, is exactly your last line. Question is who is at fault, short sighted ignorant people or our AD for not sending a clear informed message with supporting data?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:My point was more to there's a reason colleges have athletics or else hardly any college would be in the athletics business.. it drives revenue.. maybe not directly as most ADs are money losers, but it has far more economic impact than the athletic dept.. the university sees increases in donations, cities profit from game days, many reasons why athletics are schools are a big deal. A lot people are too short sighted or ignorant to realize this.
Oh, I absolutely agree. What I'm getting at, though, is exactly your last line. Question is who is at fault, short sighted ignorant people or our AD for not sending a clear informed message with supporting data?
I will counter with.. even if the AD informed the ignorant masses.. would they listen or care, or would they continue to fight the "academics only" fight?
ImageImageImageImage
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
I will counter with.. even if the AD informed the ignorant masses.. would they listen or care, or would they continue to fight the "academics only" fight?
Tough to tell, but I think it would arm politicians with the information they need to continue to support athletics. I remember when the Sandusky thing came down, they broke out how much money it would cost school, town, county, and state if they got the "death penalty". Now more than ever, IMO, Burman needs to become a salesmen. Help the politicians help athletics.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:Can anyone name a college -without- an athletics program?
University of Minnesota-Rochester
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:Pretty disappointing article from our beat writer. The overall tone was ''how could we fund athletics at the expense of our poor children?". He didn't even try to put a positive spin on things or dig deeper with bits and pieces of info like Tracy provided.

The most disappointing part was he didn't lay out what excellence in athletics will do for an institution, not to mention what it does for the city of Laramie. Everyone wants a vibrant college town? Well UW athletics is the single biggest economic contribution to Laramie's retail and hospitality industry. Students living here are cheap, people that come for games are not and will leave their money.
https://twitter.com/ryanholmgren/status ... 2033101824
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Massachusetts Institute of Technology or MIT
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 46 times

The Virginian wrote:
University of Northeastern Illinois. They dropped their entire athletics department in the mid-90s.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 116 times

The Virginian wrote:
http://www.mitathletics.com/landing/index
jarhead
Ranch Hand

The sad part of the K-12 cuts are that athletics will bear the brunt in many places. I know here in Lander they are already looking at cutting programs with the lowest participation. In addition to the local cuts I know that there is talk of cutting transportation reimbursements which would mean that schools will not travel to the furthest contest sites. In a state like Wyoming that will greatly restrict the competition that our kids face.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

elfletcho wrote:Holmgren has been quite the disappointment. He snaps a long streak of great CST UW beat reporters.
Couldn't disagree more. I think Holmgren has been great. Way better than the 2 or 3 schmucks we had before Vorel. So even if Holmgren wasn't good he wouldn't be breaking any streaks other than the 1 great Vorel. But I have been pretty pleased with Holmgren overall.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

I like Holmgren. It appears he was forced to write this bullshyte so I give him a pass on this one.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

So...all the (programs / schools, etc.) that were forced to "spend it while you have it" the last 6 years, and wasted money on poop they didn't need but "had to spend it," are now going to cry about having cuts? Cry me a river.

To me, this is a perfect time to trim the fat. There are so many organizations / departments / groups that overspend and spend irresponsibly in Wyoming it makes me sick.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

I think it's dog poop that everyone cries when you cut "money for the children" even after years of living fat off the hog.

Our k-12 spending has been some of the highest in the country. Rock Springs has built 4 new schools over the past few years. The state had so much money they needed to funnel it somewhere and education is always something legislatures love. The counties should have cut the mill on out property tax during this period since the state was funneling so much money to them.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Our spending per student in K-12 ranks somewhere around 7th nationally. We spend almost $10K more per student than states like Utah and Idaho. We spend almost $5K more per student than Montana. We are somewhere around $3-4K/per student from the top spending state (New York). I'm no financial expert, but I would guess nearly $16K/student goes a little farther in WYO than $19K does in New York...strictly a guess.

Even with a few cuts, spending on K-12 will still be in the top 10 states in the nation on per student basis.

UW and athletics on the other hand...? Well, you know.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Our spending per student in K-12 ranks somewhere around 7th nationally. We spend almost $10K more per student than states like Utah and Idaho. We spend almost $5K more per student than Montana. We are somewhere around $3-4K/per student from the top spending state (New York). I'm no financial expert, but I would guess nearly $16K/student goes a little farther in WYO than $19K does in New York...strictly a guess.

Even with a few cuts, spending on K-12 will still be in the top 10 states in the nation on per student basis.

UW and athletics on the other hand...? Well, you know.
Those are good numbers. VERY high spending on students in Wyoming. Teaching salaries in Wyoming also rank very highly nationally as well.
ImageImageImageImage
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times

Wyoming schools don't know how good they have it. They should see how it is here in South Dakota. There are parking meters that make more in a day than a teacher in this state.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

SDPokeFan wrote:Wyoming schools don't know how good they have it. They should see how it is here in South Dakota. There are parking meters that make more in a day than a teacher in this state.
LOL Tru Dat! Our district is full of former SD educators!