That blocked punt was criminal

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

f-word COUNT. THREE BLOCKERS IN THE GAP, FOUR RUSHERS TO BLOCK.

Jesus H f-word Christ. This isn't f-word rocket science. Atrocious.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Hill going down with an injury is really bad news
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

What is even worse is the ridiculous play calling they had right before the punt trying to run it every play . It is like they are playing to not get blown out instead of to win. These coordinators aren't the best at their jobs.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
wwcc22
Buckaroo

Hill looks Ok, just a cramp
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

I have always hated these offset punt formations! If teams were more aggressive on special teams that nonsense would stop in a hurry.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote:What is even worse is the ridiculous play calling they had right before the punt trying to run it every play . It is like they are playing to not get blown out instead of to win. These coordinators aren't the best at their jobs.
I don't think trying to kill off the last 1:45 of the half down 10 and getting the ball back to start second half was the worst choice when you have a QB who is in no way equipped to run a 2 minute offense. But for f-word's sake, HOW do you let that blocked punt happen??? Someone has to be accountable for counting. Those four dudes in the middle had to be looking at each other going "is this for real, are they really going to block four of us with three dudes?"
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CB brought a poop staff with him to Wyo. Offense looks alright at times, defense and special teams has horrible fundamentals.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote:CB brought a poop staff with him to Wyo. Offense looks alright at times, defense and special teams has horrible fundamentals.
Can't even make a extra point.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

https://twitter.com/ryanholmgren/status ... 39104?s=01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Just got home. Wow. What can I say. Glimmers of hope and in same sense, no explanation.

-Smith wasn't terrible, which is good. I get the "pro style qb" thing, but mobility adds another dimension.
-Hill is a beast.
-Matt Wells and Josh Heupel can eat crap. So disappointed in their sportsmanship.
-USU punter... never punted
-The blocked punt was a travesty. I have no idea who called that design, but long before the snap, I told my dad "this is going to get blocked" and it did. And changed the course of the game. 24-14 at half was ok. That extra 6 broke our back.
-USU TE could've scored every play with a seam route. Zero adjustments
Last edited by djm19 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

I was not able to stay up the whole time to watch the game so you'll have to explain to me what Wells and Heupel did that was unsportsmanlike. In my opinion if a team is just running their offense (and with the backup QB) and just keeps kicking our teeth in that's our bad, not theirs. The only true time that I remember feeling that we were disrespected on the field was eight years ago by Utah and their schmuck of a coach Kyle Whittingham. When you are up 30 plus points and running onside kicks and fake punts you deserve the bird from coach Glenn!
djm19
WyoNation Addict

I felt they kept piling on. Get your qb experience, fine, but not longballs and such. Six mins left, up thirty, hey let's run a double reverse. Four seconds left, instead of kneeling on it (which everyone expected), let's run a misdirection counter for (what looked like for a bit), a possible score. I understand it is SOLELY on us to stop them, I GET THAT, but at a certain point you take into account the situation. Just disappointed in Wells. I would be interested to know how the exchange was between Wells and Bohl postgame. It didn't look exactly cordial. (And Bohl isn't the kind of guy who gets too worked up over things like this).

Overall, that final few mins was a little much in my opinion. Just my opinion. I'm sure many from both fanbases would disagree. Our d should've toughened up, usu didn't need to be airing it out deep (more than once).
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Furthermore, this isn't new to wells. I've seen him get a turn over with less than a mins left, up by several scores, deep in opponent territory, and punch it in...multiple times. I just don't agree with that. Maybe I'm just jaded because I can't ever see us running up a score on someone. :)
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

I agree djm. There was no need to keep airing it out to score up that much. And USU wasn't getting an Access Bowl invite, so no reason for style points. Just seemed like an asshole-ish thing to do.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

I heard from several usu fans that the backup needed "practice throwing." Newsflash: you get practice by doing hooks and outs and making reads. Not dropping back and throwing up a one on one long bomb.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

seattlecowboy wrote:What is even worse is the ridiculous play calling they had right before the punt trying to run it every play . It is like they are playing to not get blown out instead of to win. These coordinators aren't the best at their jobs.
I'm with you. Playcalling in some sequences was very questionable. For instance, throw on 1st down... incomplete. Run on second and gain 1 yard. Now it's 3rd down and 9... what do you think USU will do? Blitz! :thumbdown:
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

In my opinion (obviously most here disagree with me, I understand), Utah State did the right thing by sticking to their gameplan, as that was a great learning experience for backups. Same thing with bench warmers playing the end of a basketball game when their team is up big. If you make a mistake, the coach should 100% get on you and point it out, regardless of the score, because for that inexperienced player those minutes are super valuable in terms of development and becoming game ready.

I think Utah State is a great program partly because their backups receive valuable game reps following the same game plan the starters used to begin the game with. For this reason, they can develop more depth than backups whose only game experience is simple run plays or taking a knee.

Wyoming could have learned a lot by trying to make adjustments at the end of the game and try new things to stop them. That mindset would do a lot more towards the development of our young team than simply hoping the other team would stop playing and hope for better next week.

I am much more a fan of how Wells managed this game than Bohl. This thread was started by a horrible punt play. Wells was aggressive with his timeouts to force that punt. Wyoming was content with just getting to halftime. Brian Hill was taking numerous carries near the end of each half that should have never happened, protect your assets. Not only did we get outplayed, we got out coached. I think Bohl recognizes that too, which is why his demeanor is increasingly negative.
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Utah State fan here.

First, I'm sorry that was a tough loss. I genuinely like Wyoming, and renewing the series was one of the best things for me about joining the Mountain West.

Having said that, I think it's a stretch to call what Wells did "running up the score". If he'd kept Myers and Mays in, and hung 70 on you, then even I would have been upset. Wells put in his second, and even third string guys. There were players on the field whose names even I didn't recognize. You can't put a kid, especially a back-up, on the field, and not ask him to play his hardest. It isn't fair to the kid. And in fact, asking kids to hold back is how you get them hurt.

As for the Hobbs pass, my understanding is that it was a run-pass option, and Hobbs spotted a wide open receiver. It wasn't a called long pass. Kind of like the "fake punt" we had against New Mexico two years ago. New Mexico screwed up, and our punter optioned for a run that went 78 yards for a TD. Wells actually felt bad about that, and apologized, but he didn't actually make the call.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 132 times

To me, it was a bigger concern that usu's 3rd string could run the score up on us.

We are a low level FCS team right now.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WasatchAggie
Buckaroo

USU fan here too. As mentioned by a prior fan, one of the best things about being in the MWC is being able to play Wyoming every year!. As for the running up the score issue, in the section I sit (all reserved seats for years), we all talked about it. Our feelings were that unlike KW and the onside kick etc., which was running up the score, you do need to let your younger players learn how the playbook really works in real life. More importantly, we have let off the gas in years past and lost to teams who came storming back. A few years ago we were up by about 35 on BYU at half and lost as the coach played not to loose. With all that in mind, your QB and Hill -- WOW!!!!!! We were all joking about whether or not we could "recruit" Hill to come play at USU. He was simply a man among boys.