Are some Wyoming fans really this stupid?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TD-ACS
Buckaroo

I have been following the Cowboys for the past three seasons and have become a fan. I have no historical ties to the school. A friend of mine had a son who was recruited to play there but was later medically DQed. I have enjoyed the passion showed by many on this board and reading some of the comments posted on the other board. Tonight I almost fell out of chair reading some of the stupidity that was flowing on the other board on whether or not Wyoming should turn down whatever bowl bid they get because they might lose money on the deal. The biggest problem with this type of decision would be its effects on recruiting. Most players want to go to a team that is successful. Most schools classify success as bowl bids. The better the program the better the bowl bids but a team has to start somewhere.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Oh jeez..
ImageImageImageImage
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I recommend not even reading that board. You have a bunch of bitter old men that love being negative and bitter. Most of them aren't even Wyoming fans, they're BYU and CSU fans trying to make our school look bad.

Just ignore it. They definitely aren't the voice of the Wyoming fan. They're just a bunch of negative old douche bags that would rather argue and cause division amongst our fan base then get on board and enjoy the success. They're happier when we lose. In fact, most of them would rather see us lose and be right about it then have us win and be wrong.

Just ignore them. They're a bunch of horses arses.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Sadly, yes, some fans are stupid. However, looking over at the MWC board, we are not the only ones to have undesirables in the fanbase (look at some of the BYU fans).
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Turning down our bowl bid us the dumbest thing I have ever heard absolutely ridiculous
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

TD-ACS wrote:I have been following the Cowboys for the past three seasons and have become a fan. I have no historical ties to the school.
end thread.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
TD-ACS
Buckaroo

Subcanis wrote:
TD-ACS wrote:I have been following the Cowboys for the past three seasons and have become a fan. I have no historical ties to the school.
end thread.
So because I am new to following Wyoming football my question and opinion is worthless?

Good to know you can set the rules of when a thread should be ended.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Don't take it personal TD-ACS. Always glad to have another Wyoming fan on board and feel free to post your opinions.
I'm good for 3!
TD-ACS
Buckaroo

I was just shocked that there would be some that would even consider such a drastic step. I knew that it had been a while since the Cowboys had gone to a bowl and figured that everyone would be jumping at the chance to play in the post season. Whether that post season is in NM or God forbid Boise.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I saw that too. Biggest joke ever. If we start turning down bowl games, we might as well book our ticket to the FCS playoffs right now.

Talk about a bunch of old idiot whiners with nothing better to do. The college football world has changed since 1970, but they don't really get it yet.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

calpoke25 wrote:I saw that too. Biggest joke ever. If we start turning down bowl games, we might as well book our ticket to the FCS playoffs right now.

Talk about a bunch of old idiot whiners with nothing better to do. The college football world has changed since 1970, but they don't really get it yet.
And Wyoming hasn't been a National Powerhouse in quite some time.

Damn.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:I saw that too. Biggest joke ever. If we start turning down bowl games, we might as well book our ticket to the FCS playoffs right now.

Damn.
What are you trying to say?
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

Understand there is one guy over there who is an alum and has worked in politics and always seems to look for ways to stir things up, like he is still the sports editor of the student paper. I think if you read the rest of the posts you will see there is limited, and that's real limited, support for his suggestion.
There are idiots on all boards.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

You just have to understand TheCup. I actually really like that he asked the question. It and the following discussion make an important point: We're going to pay good money to go to whatever bowl we get, at a time when budgets are being slashed and people are losing their jobs across the state, and the only benefits are intangible and can't be measured (extra practice, advertising, recruiting).

For the record, I think we definitely accept any invitation, but am realistic about what it really means.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Subcanis wrote:
end thread.
What's the purpose of this post? Does putting down other people make you feel good? Even when they are fellow fans? Why is a relatively new fan worth less than a life-time one?

As for spending money on the bowl - we're already getting enough money to cover the expenses from TCU's BCS bowl if I'm not completely in the wrong here. If we have a football program that is supposed to compete, we better play the games available, or we might as well just shut the athletic department down. Sure it's a bad economy, but part of the solution for getting out of a bad economy is to spend money. The faster money moves through the system and through as many people as possible, the better the economical climate. When money is frozen it does nobody any good.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

calpoke25 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Damn.
I meant that it seems to me that those old whiners still think Wyoming is a consistently nationally ranked team in the top 25, but that hasn't happened in years.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

fromolwyoming wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Damn.
I meant that it seems to me that those old whiners still think Wyoming is a consistently nationally ranked team in the top 25, but that hasn't happened in years.
What he means is we should all bow down and be thankful that someone of his intellect is here to keep us straight, and heaven forbid if there is a discussion that culd involve more than rah-rah sis-boom-bah.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Poke Around wrote:
What he means is we should all bow down and be thankful that someone of his intellect is here to keep us straight, and heaven forbid if there is a discussion that culd involve more than rah-rah sis-boom-bah.
Now I don't get what your trying to say, lol I'm lost.
Last edited by calpoke25 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

TD-ACS wrote:I have been following the Cowboys for the past three seasons and have become a fan. I have no historical ties to the school. A friend of mine had a son who was recruited to play there but was later medically DQed. I have enjoyed the passion showed by many on this board and reading some of the comments posted on the other board. Tonight I almost fell out of chair reading some of the stupidity that was flowing on the other board on whether or not Wyoming should turn down whatever bowl bid they get because they might lose money on the deal. The biggest problem with this type of decision would be its effects on recruiting. Most players want to go to a team that is successful. Most schools classify success as bowl bids. The better the program the better the bowl bids but a team has to start somewhere.
That is the beauty of a sports (and otherwise) message board. Opinions galore. Personally, I don't agree with any thought of turning down a bowl bid. Period.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

The post even asking the question on the other board is one of the most ridiculous, indiotic, moronic posts I've seen in quite some time. Especially if you are aware of the history of the poster. Afterall, he has a history of criticizing any cowboy team that doesn't excell and complains about the "product on the field/court," on a pretty consistent basis. I even agree with some of those posts. However, when a team improves the product on the field and takes a step forward in improving the program, he criticizes the wisdom of accepting a bowl bid? Wow!
I honestly think this guy posts not for the sake of discussion but rather a pathetic cry for attention. I guess like every parent who has a 6,7,8,9, 10-year-old kid that consistently acts the fool, we can all hope this he eventually grows up.
Enough of my name-calling, here are several reasons why the post and his ascertion that "a trainer or tudor," will lose their job if UW goes to a bowl game, is so ridiculous.
1. As discussed on this site, Wyoming receives somewhere between $260K to $1 million as part of the TCU BCS bowl participation, plus a much smaller chunk of change from our own bowl participation (I'm not completely sure how this all works, but I think ticket revenue is involved on our end.)
2. Each state agency, UW included can present a supplemental budget request to the Governor. If approved by the Governor the budget goes on to the legislature for final approval. Granted the economy is not the best right now, however, it is my understanding that similar requests (Sullivan, I believe) have been granted. 3. Last year we were able to find $600K to buy out Joe Glenn and $60 for the CBI game. Did that money come from the Utah BCS game, Cowboy Joe Club or where? Is there money still available?