A question about visiting Wyoming in October.

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I have been planning on vacationing Wyoming again this Summer but due to my wife's knee surgery those plans have been placed on temporary hold. I still hope to visit sometime no later than mid August and spend two weeks just like I did last year.

But, this is my problem, the month of September does not look good for me at this time. Below is the tour someone suggested from the football board and sounds like the tour I would love. I want to go through Big Horn Sheep country, etc and see things I didn't get to see last year.

But, if I took the trip below during the first two weeks of October would I avoid snow?

I would do the loop. North from Denver to Guernsey.. definitely get on the water. Then after that north to Sheridan and Buffalo. U could go to the devil's tower from there. After that I would drive across the big horns from Buffalo to ten sleep, driving through Thermopolis and seeing the canyon. Continue to Jackson hole through lander. From Jackson head south to flaming gorge. From flaming gorge head east to baggs then across to Saratoga on the scenic highway. That would be the boss trip.

I want to see as much as I can. I want to do some canoeing with a group, horseback riding, see the mountain goats, etc. and all the things in the "That's Wyo" advertisement. See link below.

http://www.travelwyoming.com/national-p ... =2017+July

I would hope I could do those things in October without snow.

Any information relative to the weather I might experience would be greatly appreciated.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Don't everyone speak at once. LOL~
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

You truly have planned it out very well and should be able to as for the 1st 2 weeks of Oct, it's always iffy and unsure. historically it's usually 60s to 80s that time but if a front passes thru there is always the possibility of snow, but lots of it? highly doubtful unless near Yellowstone/Jackson. I really think you are fine if you can do The Yellowstone/Jackson/Cody stuff 1st in the 1st week I think you'll be better off and then the rest of the state 2nd week. Have a wonderful stay, as we know you will. GO POKES. Get a weekly fishing license as fall fishing for Browns will be WONDERFUL
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

You want to go horseback riding for mountain goats in October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:55 pm You want to go horseback riding for mountain goats in October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I could see how that statement could be very ambiguous. I want to do some horseback riding in general not to necessarily see goats. I would love to see the scenery that is in the link I posted above which shows mountain goats or mountain sheep whichever they are. LOL!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Riding horses to see Goats or Sheep usually entails a hunting trip and from what I've heard it's beautiful BUT lots of hard work, and once the trigger is pulled the real "work" begins..lol
hope ya have fun regardless what you do Wyoming (like no other place on Earth!!!!)
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

stymeman wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:39 am Riding horses to see Goats or Sheep usually entails a hunting trip and from what I've heard it's beautiful BUT lots of hard work, and once the trigger is pulled the real "work" begins..lol
hope ya have fun regardless what you do Wyoming (like no other place on Earth!!!!)
Wyoming IS LIKE NO OTHER PLACE ON EARTH. My wife and I visited Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons in September, 2013. I fell in love with Wyoming then but last year I covered a bigger part of the state. And the more I see of Wyoming the more I want to see. I didn't get to see the Big Horn area or whatever it's called last year. But, I want to see the things mentioned above and the things in the link for the video. Man, can't wait to do it again. I LOVE WYOMING!
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

Gunslinger, I'm curious to know where you are from and what brought you to visit Wyoming?
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

I've done Yellowstone twice around the beginning of October. While some stuff is closed, 90% is still open. All the kids are in school and you pretty much have the park to yourself and old foreign people in buses. It is a blast. Roads are clear and you can get around real easy.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:06 pm
stymeman wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:39 am Riding horses to see Goats or Sheep usually entails a hunting trip and from what I've heard it's beautiful BUT lots of hard work, and once the trigger is pulled the real "work" begins..lol
Wyoming IS LIKE NO OTHER PLACE ON EARTH. My wife and I visited Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons in September, 2013. I fell in love with Wyoming then but last year I covered a bigger part of the state. And the more I see of Wyoming the more I want to see. I didn't get to see the Big Horn area or whatever it's called last year. But, I want to see the things mentioned above and the things in the link for the video. Man, can't wait to do it again. I LOVE WYOMING!
Im totally with ya, been here about 40 of my 47 years and when I did leave I couldn't wait to come back and it's still one the reasons I don't want to leave for work ever again, it's like I say to others, the gate to Wyoming is always open and I hope I dont' have to shut it permanently.
I fish lots and the past 2 falls I have started my own fall fishing tour and this has truly opened my eyes to my beloved State even more so. I can't get enough either. So glad I bleed Brown and Gold, Love W.Y.O and GO POKES
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

pokecountant wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 am Gunslinger, I'm curious to know where you are from and what brought you to visit Wyoming?
I live in North Carolina and as I said in a post above, my wife and I visited Yellowstone and Jackson Hole in September of 2013. That is all I got to see of Wyoming at that time but I fell in love with the state. But, last year I took a road trip, flew into Denver and rented a car and headed to Cheyenne. I covered a large portion of the state. I spend several days in Cheyenne and several days in Laramie. I loved both cites. Then I drove the Snowy Mountain Range, the Wind River Scenic Drive, the St. Joseph (I think that was the name of the drive) and then went to Cody. I didn't stay long enough to do Cody justice, in fact all I did was walk up and down the street. This time I want to spend a couple of days in Cody.

So, that is what brought me to Wyoming! Plus, a little more history behind my interest in Wyoming. I had a friend that lived for a while in Cheyenne, many years ago and he would tell me all about Wyoming and the West in general.

BTW, I am going to get to vacation in Wyoming from Aug. 23rd- Sept. 6th. I thought I might get to see a Cowboy football game but the way the Cowboy Football schedule is, no such luck.