Recruiting

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:42 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:36 pm For those of you getting excited about all these prep school players: please tell me about any of them in Wyoming history that have made any real impact? Don't include any of the 23-25 year olds that Schroyer brought in to burn the program to ashes.
How many prep school kids have we even had?
Schroyer went that route for a bunch of players. I'm thinking Thiam, Davis, M'baye, buedo, and Songondo

I could be wrong about some of them but I'm pretty sure they were all prep school players. Most of them were well into their early 20's by the time they got here. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Who goes to prep school? More pointedly, who goes to one of these basketball factory prep schools like Mt. Zion? Typically, they got no d1 scholarship offers or their grades were too poor to get into a jc. Going down this road is disaster. You don't see ANY successful programs go this route for players.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

marcuswyo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:07 pm
Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.
You just proved my point. Except Kelly was a walk on - no scholarship wasted
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 pm
Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.

Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Rajon Rando
Brandon Jennings
Ty Lawson
Josh Smith
Jerry Stackhouse

That’s just one....you’re right, they suck stay away (serious sarcasm)

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Baske ... HighSchool

Look at this list and you tell me.....
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm Who goes to prep school? More pointedly, who goes to one of these basketball factory prep schools like Mt. Zion? Typically, they got no d1 scholarship offers or their grades were too poor to get into a jc. Going down this road is disaster. You don't see ANY successful programs go this route for players.
There is a lot of players that go prep school, Deandre Ayton played at Hillcrest Prep, a school we signed one and two others are offered from there. He will probably be the number 1 pick in the draft.

Seven of the 24 players in the McDonalds all American game were Prep school players. Findlay Prep out in Vegas has sent a lot of players D1 and NBA. I don’t have a problem with Prep players at all, you take just as big of a chance on high school players imo.

Blair Academy that Anthony Mack played for sent 4 of their 5 starters D1.
Last edited by wyo 1 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

SLCPoke wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 pm
Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.

Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Rajon Rando
Brandon Jennings
Ty Lawson
Josh Smith
Jerry Stackhouse

Carmelo Anthony had such poor grades, he went to a prep school his senior year of high school so he could get into a major D! school. Durrant was a one and done at Texas. He went to Oak HIll- a very prestigious prep school- not a basketball factory.
I didn't research any of the others. Jerry Stackhouse played like 20 years ago. Is that all you can come up with - 6 guys?
You think were getting the cream of the prep school crop? We are getting players who couldn't get into school because they couldn't play or got terrible grades. Schroyer went this route and now you are excited we're going down that road again? Some posters get all excited like were getting some real talent in here. We will be near the bottom of the league recruiting garbage like this.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 pm
Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.

Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Rajon Rando
Brandon Jennings
Ty Lawson
Josh Smith
Jerry Stackhouse

Carmelo Anthony had such poor grades, he went to a prep school his senior year of high school so he could get into a major D! school. Durrant was a one and done at Texas. He went to Oak HIll- a very prestigious prep school- not a basketball factory.
I didn't research any of the others. Jerry Stackhouse played like 20 years ago. Is that all you can come up with - 6 guys?
You think were getting the cream of the prep school crop? We are getting players who couldn't get into school because they couldn't play or got terrible grades. Schroyer went this route and now you are excited we're going down that road again? Some posters get all excited like were getting some real talent in here. We will be near the bottom of the league recruiting garbage like this.
Lol, Melo went to Oak Hill also.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm Who goes to prep school? More pointedly, who goes to one of these basketball factory prep schools like Mt. Zion? Typically, they got no d1 scholarship offers or their grades were too poor to get into a jc. Going down this road is disaster. You don't see ANY successful programs go this route for players.
UNLV has gone the prep school route often, Rashad Vaughn and Anthony Bennett being just two examples.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

2018 Recruiting Prospects:

#1 R.J. Barrett - Prep school
#2 Cameron Reddish - Prep school
#3 Zion Williamson - Prep school
#4 Bol Bol - Prep school
#5 Nassir Little - Prep school
#6 Romeo Langford - Public high school
#7 Anfernee Simmons - Prep school
#8 E.J. Montgomery - Public high school
#9 Quentin Grimes - Public high school
#10 Simisola poop - Prep school

Obviously Wyoming isn't getting the cream of the crop, but it is safe to say that successful programs do in fact go this route for players.

(Also, Mt. Zion has produced 8 NBA players and a Hall of Famer)
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

wyo 1 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 pm
Lol, Melo went to Oak Hill also.
Hahahahahahah
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.

Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Rajon Rando
Brandon Jennings
Ty Lawson
Josh Smith
Jerry Stackhouse

This is a list from literally one prep school (all of those players went to the same prep). 5 of the top 10 recruits on that link are from Prep schools going to Duke, UNC and Oregon. Do a little research on kids coming out of prep school, if you still think they are “trash players” then you can’t be helped. Schroyers players were incredibly talented, he couldn’t coach them to play well together. He also has a terrible judge of character which was part of the issue in his recruiting (in fact I’d say he didn’t really care about a kids character which was a large part of his undoing).

I will turn it back on you. So you know of one coach in the history of Wyoming that failed going the prep school route and now it’s absolutley the wrong route? Let me ask you this, was it the recruitment of prep players or was it the coach himself?
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

SLCPoke wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm
Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.

Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Rajon Rando
Brandon Jennings
Ty Lawson
Josh Smith
Jerry Stackhouse

This is a list from literally one prep school (all of those players went to the same prep). 5 of the top 10 recruits on that link are from Prep schools going to Duke, UNC and Oregon. Do a little research on kids coming out of prep school, if you still think they are “trash players” then you can’t be helped. Schroyers players were incredibly talented, he couldn’t coach them to play well together. He also has a terrible judge of character which was part of the issue in his recruiting (in fact I’d say he didn’t really care about a kids character which was a large part of his undoing).

I will turn it back on you. So you know of one coach in the history of Wyoming that failed going the prep school route and now it’s absolutley the wrong route? Let me ask you this, was it the recruitment of prep players or was it the coach himself?
First point - We know what kind of player UNC recruited-the players never went to school. Duke is under investigation right now and Oregon seems to like taking in players who drug and rape women. There are two kinds of prep schools - the prestigious ones and the basketball factories. I'm aware prep schools are somewhat prevalent back east.
I don't agree the players Schroyer brought in were "incredibly talented". They were good athletes who had poor skills. They were without exception bad shooters, poor passers, and inconsistent in every phase of the game. Of course, a better coach could have got more out of them. I'll take Shyatt's approach any day. Take a high school kid and develop him. I really don't want a bunch of piss poor students at UW. And I doubt they will take us to the top of the MWC either.
Big Wonderful
Buckaroo

The competition for talented high school players with good grades is tough. Recruitment for these kids often starts when they are freshman & sophomores and continues until graduation. Dalton, Herndon, McManamen (hopefully Thompson, Mueller & Maldonado) are all good examples, but high school kids don't always work out - Moemeka, Mack, Kelly. Between graduation and transfers we have 7 or more vacancies to fill. To think that we could come in at the last minute and snipe that many good high school kids away from other universities is unrealistic. Undoubtedly not all the prep school kids will pan out but we need players and hopefully the staff has picked those with the best chance to succeed.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

The bolded portion is incorrect. Generally, if it is an academic issue, it is due to either missing a core credit or a test score which is too low for D1, not JC. The reason they don't go JC right away in many cases is that if you are not an academic qualifier out of HS you have to complete your AA degree at a JC prior to enrolling at a D1 institution. This means most likely utilizing two years of eligibility.

By contrast, attending Prep School for a year to make up that missing core credit or retake the SAT means they can sign D1 and have 4 years of eligibility.
Last edited by NowherePoke on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:25 pm
SLCPoke wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm
Who goes to prep school?
Cody Kelley.

Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Rajon Rando
Brandon Jennings
Ty Lawson
Josh Smith
Jerry Stackhouse

First point - We know what kind of player UNC recruited-the players never went to school. Duke is under investigation right now and Oregon seems to like taking in players who drug and rape women. There are two kinds of prep schools - the prestigious ones and the basketball factories. I'm aware prep schools are somewhat prevalent back east.
I don't agree the players Schroyer brought in were "incredibly talented". They were good athletes who had poor skills. They were without exception bad shooters, poor passers, and inconsistent in every phase of the game. Of course, a better coach could have got more out of them. I'll take Shyatt's approach any day. Take a high school kid and develop him. I really don't want a bunch of piss poor students at UW. And I doubt they will take us to the top of the MWC either.
Nobody is going to defend Schroyer, least of all me, but I would say his high school (Hudson, Dietz, etc.) and foreign (Linskens, Matalon, etc.) recruits were a bigger problem than his Prep School kids. Some of his recruits that I like best (Cruz, Martinez) were JC's who were non-qualifiers out of HS.

There were a ton of problems in Schroyer's era, but recruiting Prep School players wasn't really at the top of the list.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:21 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:42 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:36 pm For those of you getting excited about all these prep school players: please tell me about any of them in Wyoming history that have made any real impact? Don't include any of the 23-25 year olds that Schroyer brought in to burn the program to ashes.
How many prep school kids have we even had?
Schroyer went that route for a bunch of players. I'm thinking Thiam, Davis, M'baye, buedo, and Songondo

I could be wrong about some of them but I'm pretty sure they were all prep school players. Most of them were well into their early 20's by the time they got here. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thiam was a D1 transfer from Baylor (although he had played Prep) and Songondo was a McClain recruit.

M'baye and Bouedo were prep kids, but in their cases it has more to do with being international students who didn't match the NCAA core credit requirements. That's a pretty common setup with alot of these basketball factory prep schools. Many cater to international players because they have some academic work to do.

FWIW, Mbaye and Bouedo attended the same Prep School as James Spencer, a McClain recruit out of JC (he went Prep and still didn't get academically eligible, barely got out of JC and then flunked out after one year here).
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Prep school kids are the same as HS kids but with one extra year of experience and maturing under their belt. Whats not to like? YOu still have to recruit the kid and have a fit with the individual kid. There is nothing that inherently makes Prep school kids worse than HS kids and to say we should only get HS kids and not go after Prep school kids is dumb.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 am Prep school kids are the same as HS kids but with one extra year of experience and maturing under their belt. Whats not to like? YOu still have to recruit the kid and have a fit with the individual kid. There is nothing that inherently makes Prep school kids worse than HS kids and to say we should only get HS kids and not go after Prep school kids is dumb.
Agreed. You can be successful with HS Kids, Prep Kids, JC Kids, D1 transfers, Grad Transfers, International players, etc. You can also fail with all of the above. There is no magic choice.

Many were critical of Shyatt's HS recruits and "development" program. Many were critical of McClain's JC's, and many were critical of Schroyer's...well, everything, but he deserved that.

UW has proven we can lose with any type of recruit, so I am fine with any general strategy. Talent, fit, and character. Need all 3, regardless of where they come from.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:39 am
TSpoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 am Prep school kids are the same as HS kids but with one extra year of experience and maturing under their belt. Whats not to like? YOu still have to recruit the kid and have a fit with the individual kid. There is nothing that inherently makes Prep school kids worse than HS kids and to say we should only get HS kids and not go after Prep school kids is dumb.
Agreed. You can be successful with HS Kids, Prep Kids, JC Kids, D1 transfers, Grad Transfers, International players, etc. You can also fail with all of the above. There is no magic choice.

Many were critical of Shyatt's HS recruits and "development" program. Many were critical of McClain's JC's, and many were critical of Schroyer's...well, everything, but he deserved that.

UW has proven we can lose with any type of recruit, so I am fine with any general strategy. Talent, fit, and character. Need all 3, regardless of where they come from.
My general understanding of prep kids is that they are terrible academically. I question whether kids like that are going to be good for the institution, let alone the team. I have no problem with transfers. Too bad we couldn't get Prentiss Nixon from csewe. Kids transfer for lots of reasons. Sean Ogirii was a great get by Schroyer. I've spoken my piece. I don't like the direction were going.