Recruiting

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 am
NowherePoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:39 am
TSpoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 am Prep school kids are the same as HS kids but with one extra year of experience and maturing under their belt. Whats not to like? YOu still have to recruit the kid and have a fit with the individual kid. There is nothing that inherently makes Prep school kids worse than HS kids and to say we should only get HS kids and not go after Prep school kids is dumb.
Agreed. You can be successful with HS Kids, Prep Kids, JC Kids, D1 transfers, Grad Transfers, International players, etc. You can also fail with all of the above. There is no magic choice.

Many were critical of Shyatt's HS recruits and "development" program. Many were critical of McClain's JC's, and many were critical of Schroyer's...well, everything, but he deserved that.

UW has proven we can lose with any type of recruit, so I am fine with any general strategy. Talent, fit, and character. Need all 3, regardless of where they come from.
My general understanding of prep kids is that they are terrible academically. I question whether kids like that are going to be good for the institution, let alone the team. I have no problem with transfers. Too bad we couldn't get Prentiss Nixon from csewe. Kids transfer for lots of reasons. Sean Ogirii was a great get by Schroyer. I've spoken my piece. I don't like the direction were going.
Thank you for your invaluable insight into recruiting prep school kids. A little research certainly paints a contrasting view with which I am in agreement with. The prep school route can very fruitful and I would guess we see success with it. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 am Prep school kids are the same as HS kids but with one extra year of experience and maturing under their belt. Whats not to like? YOu still have to recruit the kid and have a fit with the individual kid. There is nothing that inherently makes Prep school kids worse than HS kids and to say we should only get HS kids and not go after Prep school kids is dumb.
Agreed. You can be successful with HS Kids, Prep Kids, JC Kids, D1 transfers, Grad Transfers, International players, etc. You can also fail with all of the above. There is no magic choice.

Many were critical of Shyatt's HS recruits and "development" program. Many were critical of McClain's JC's, and many were critical of Schroyer's...well, everything, but he deserved that.

UW has proven we can lose with any type of recruit, so I am fine with any general strategy. Talent, fit, and character. Need all 3, regardless of where they come from.
My general understanding of prep kids is that they are terrible academically. I question whether kids like that are going to be good for the institution, let alone the team. I have no problem with transfers. Too bad we couldn't get Prentiss Nixon from csewe. Kids transfer for lots of reasons. Sean Ogirii was a great get by Schroyer. I've spoken my piece. I don't like the direction were going.
Kind of an odd take. The vast majority of prep schools are much more academically stringent than your average high school. In fact, prep schools do a much better job at preparing athletes to handle the student-athlete balance at the college level than high schools do.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:40 am

Thank you for your invaluable insight into recruiting prep school kids. A little research certainly paints a contrasting view with which I am in agreement with. The prep school route can very fruitful and I would guess we see success with it. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:
Here's another take on just how great the academics are at some of these "institutions".

https://thehuskyhaul.com/2011/10/09/the ... factories/
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am

Here's another take on just how great the academics are at some of these "institutions".

An article from 6 years ago. Thanks.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't like the direction we are going either in the aggregate, but I am not comfortable painting prep-school kids with such a broad brush. I think there is plenty of evidence that there are quality players (and less than quality players) at Prep Schools and decent students as well as poor students from them.

Ogirri is an odd example to use. He exhibited very poor body language, played no defense, and left school without finishing his classes and graduating.
Big Wonderful
Buckaroo

Many of the basketball prep schools (including Mt Zion and Washington Academy) simply prepare kids for ACT/SAT tests and develop basketball skills through coaching and competition. They also provide exposure to college recruiters. If these kids meet the requirements to get into UW, follow the rules, contribute to the team, and leave w/ an education I'm OK w/ it. Both schools have websites and from what I see neither claim to be preparing kids for engineering or law school.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:28 am
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am

An article from 6 years ago. Thanks.
Is it not current enough for you? Or were you too lazy to read it? Should I find you something written in say, the last 30 days? Perhaps the academics of these schools is pumping out genius level students now.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Regardless of whether a certain prep school pumps out academic all-stars or not, I'm not really sure why that matters that much. Yes, it's ideal to get good athletes that also get good grade, but let's be honest, Wyoming is not exactly a top tier academic institution. I love the place and I have a degree from there, but by most measures it is not that rigorous of a school in general.

And before someone points out that the Engineering school is really highly ranked, it's not...#138 in the most recent US News ranking. That puts them at an equal ranking with UNLV, Nevada and Boise State; and behind Utah State (110), SDSU (99), New Mexico (82), and CSU (70).

*I know these rankings are subjective, but they certainly have some basis in reality.*
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm Regardless of whether a certain prep school pumps out academic all-stars or not, I'm not really sure why that matters that much. Yes, it's ideal to get good athletes that also get good grade, but let's be honest, Wyoming is not exactly a top tier academic institution. I love the place and I have a degree from there, but by most measures it is not that rigorous of a school in general.

And before someone points out that the Engineering school is really highly ranked, it's not...#138 in the most recent US News ranking. That puts them at an equal ranking with UNLV, Nevada and Boise State; and behind Utah State (110), SDSU (99), New Mexico (82), and CSU (70).

*I know these rankings are subjective, but they certainly have some basis in reality.*
I basically agree with you. For whatever reason, it bothers me that these "prep" schools even exist. I'm not talking about the prep school where Andrew McCarthy bangs his room mate's mom, but these basketball camps masquerading as schools. No, it probably doesn't matter. But let's see if this short cut works this time.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

This is a pretty good read on the subject: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/e ... story.html
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I don't see how this could be considered a "short cut". The kids come in with 4 years to develop and play. Its really no different than red shirting a year except they get to play a lot of games in that year instead of just practice(of course it is not with the college they end up with). They get 4 eyars here to work and and develop as players and are required to do all the accidemic work required of them like all other students regardless of where they were the year before(but I haven't seen anything that claims the schools we got these kids from are shady). There are plenty of HS that are shady and don't require much work from their athletes and the same with JUCOs. So I don't see how on approach in general is any more of a short cut than another.

But that's just my :twocents: and to each their own.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Prep school players get 4 years to play 4? or 5 to play 4 ?
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 am Prep school players get 4 years to play 4? or 5 to play 4 ?
5 to play 4
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 am Prep school players get 4 years to play 4? or 5 to play 4 ?
5 to play 4
Yeah. Cody Kelly went to a prep school then redshirted his first year. Which is a reason I am sad to see him go. As a senior he would have been an asset as a very mature senior who had seen it all. LIke those returned missionaries from BYU/Utah.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:25 pm
5 to play 4
Yeah. Cody Kelly went to a prep school then redshirted his first year. Which is a reason I am sad to see him go. As a senior he would have been an asset as a very mature senior who had seen it all. LIke those returned missionaries from BYU/Utah.
I thinks we're going to regret not having Kelly
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 pm
5 to play 4
If we're regretting not having Cody Kelley on the floor, that's going to mean a pretty brutal season. Respect the kid as an in-stater and walk-on, but other teams didn't ever barely bother guarding him last season. I'll roll with Maldonado every day of the week or maybe even one of the prep school kids.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:28 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 pm
5 to play 4
If we're regretting not having Cody Kelley on the floor, that's going to mean a pretty brutal season. Respect the kid as an in-stater and walk-on, but other teams didn't ever barely bother guarding him last season. I'll roll with Maldonado every day of the week or maybe even one of the prep school kids.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Absolutely nothing but love for Cody Kelley but if we miss his performance on the floor, we missed on our recruiting class. Thats not a knock on anyone, its just the truth. CK was overmatched against most MWC PGs
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

We will miss Cody's maturity and leadership. He may not have been the most gifted player, but he's been in the system for a while and would have been a leader off the court, if not on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Big Wonderful
Buckaroo

Now that Jack Williams committed to Montana is anyone aware of other transfers or juco bigs we are looking at? Any official visits planned? Just thirsty for fresh recruiting news or rumors.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Big Wonderful wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:02 am Now that Jack Williams committed to Montana is anyone aware of other transfers or juco bigs we are looking at? Any official visits planned? Just thirsty for fresh recruiting news or rumors.
Not sure on bigs but they are targetting pg AJ Banks from Pratt Community College in Kansas. A large chunk of grad transfers can't sign until they graduate in May, so hopefully they got some big guys targeted from that group.
Last edited by Pokes fan 24-7 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.