Edwards Q&A

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 4a4ed.html

Q: Do you still believe your up-tempo style of play will consistently work at Wyoming, or do things need to be tweaked?

AE: I’m a firm believer in what we’re doing. Everything needs to be tweaked, especially when you have a bunch of new guys coming in. But I don’t know if you just completely change. What we do have is an exciting brand of basketball. Maybe it is different from when I was here as an assistant. I don’t know if our fan base has gotten used to that style of play.

I am not one to toot my own horn, but we’re having success. To have 43 wins after two seasons for a guy taking over a program here at the University of Wyoming – nobody has done better. To win 10 games in conference has only been done twice in 16 years. Our strength of schedule was there.

On the offensive side, we’re setting records in scoring and shooting the ball. It is not like I am sitting with a 7-25 record and saying I believe in this. One would ask what about in the conference? In 2016-17 we finished seventh, but we were a win or two away from finishing fourth or fifth. It was no different this year where we finished sixth. This league is tough and more balanced than it has ever been.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

"the Cowboys ranked near the bottom of all 351 Division I teams in scoring defense and rebounding margin."

The scoring defense would be acceptable if he had a team (Like Loyola Chicago) that could shoot. He doesn't, so he better tighten up the defense. And the obvious lack of even making a weak attempt at offensive rebounding (of which there is a lot) is totally unexplainable.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Sounds like he will be going after transfers pretty hard this off season.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

The only thing that really bothered me was trying to overrate how good the MWC is. This is by far not the best/deepest it has ever been.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

His players are constantly injured all year. That's the excuse that he's coming out with now. Fire Watsabaugh. The guy is a terrible S&C coach. This years injuries and the future injuries his up-tempo teams deal with will be due to poor conditioning.

Blaming turnovers and bad shot selection for the poor defense and saying "as we continue to grow and develop as a program" is a load of poop. This was a veteran team that underachieved due to terrible coaching. He's going to have a bunch freshmen next year. It will only get worse.

Edwards talking about overachieving and tooting his own horn makes me want to vomit. This was a veteran team with three of the better players in the conference. The conference has never been as down as it is now and he just couldn't be happier with a 6th place finish.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

We finished 6th and 7th. Things need to be tweaked.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 pm His players are constantly injured all year. Fire Watsabaugh. The guy is a terrible S&C coach. This years injuries and the future injuries his up-tempo teams deal with will be due to poor conditioning.
I was just about to say a similar thing. Injuries relate to poor conditioning. And watch the NCAA's. Do you see the players in the tournament sucking air? Now look at last year's Poke games - who's sucking air? How did they get Watsabaugh? He was a third rate bench player for the Pokes. Is he helping out Ewards with his wife or something?
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 pm His players are constantly injured all year. That's the excuse that he's coming out with now. Fire Watsabaugh. The guy is a terrible S&C coach. This years injuries and the future injuries his up-tempo teams deal with will be due to poor conditioning.

Blaming turnovers and bad shot selection for the poor defense and saying "as we continue to grow and develop as a program" is a load of poop. This was a veteran team that underachieved due to terrible coaching. He's going to have a bunch freshmen next year. It will only get worse.

Edwards talking about overachieving and tooting his own horn makes me want to vomit. This was a veteran team with three of the better players in the conference. The conference has never been as down as it is now and he just couldn't be happier with a 6th place finish.
I won't argue the conditioning part. I don't agree we had 3 of the better players in the conference. Dalton and Herndon were very inconsistent shooters. Dalton was flat out horrible in several road games and he would shoot and shoot. In our tournament game vs. New Mexico, Dalton and James combined for 8-28 from the field with 8 turnovers. If you're one of the better players in the conference, you show up for big games.
If you saw the Duke-Kansas game yesterday, Grayson Allen cost Duke that game. He shot 2-13 from the field and was 3-14 the game before that. Does that make Coach K a bad coach? Maybe he could have benched him but then, who do you play? Hard to believe, but sometimes it's the players fault.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I find his tone and general demeanor to be rather grating. JJ was one of 2 bright spots this season and he acts like he's some POS scrub selfish player. Next year he is going to be the ONLY legit scorer on this current roster and he's telling him to cool it on the scoring? I don't think he knows basketball... Can you imagine if Shyatt had told Adams to cool it on the scoring and work more on facilitating for the scrubs he was playing with his senior season? Gimme a break.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:33 am
DVDA wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 pm His players are constantly injured all year. That's the excuse that he's coming out with now. Fire Watsabaugh. The guy is a terrible S&C coach. This years injuries and the future injuries his up-tempo teams deal with will be due to poor conditioning.

I won't argue the conditioning part. I don't agree we had 3 of the better players in the conference. Dalton and Herndon were very inconsistent shooters. Dalton was flat out horrible in several road games and he would shoot and shoot. In our tournament game vs. New Mexico, Dalton and James combined for 8-28 from the field with 8 turnovers. If you're one of the better players in the conference, you show up for big games.
If you saw the Duke-Kansas game yesterday, Grayson Allen cost Duke that game. He shot 2-13 from the field and was 3-14 the game before that. Does that make Coach K a bad coach? Maybe he could have benched him but then, who do you play? Hard to believe, but sometimes it's the players fault.
Bad games happen. Underachieving happens. Coach K had another great season in a career full of fantastic seasons. Edwards can toot his horn all he wants about he's doing things never accomplished at UW before but make no mistake about it, he is not even in the same universe as Coach K. Will he at some point? Maybe. But right now he is not a good coach and is not instilling very much confidence. Win total doesnt always tell the whole story. This years team could have won atleast 3 or 4 more games had there been any semblance of coaching player up instead of just screaming and cussing at them. He isnt a coach. He's a figurehead.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

This article made it sound like Jordan Naughton would be coming back next year. Has anybody heard anything on this? Jordan and Hunter Thompson might be a solid starting big combo.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I actually liked the interview. Thought he said the right things. He knows he has some growing as a coach to do but still believes in his progress. I like that he is hard on JJ. He knows JJ is one of the best players in the coference and knws JJ knows it too and he is getting on him to try to improve his all around game. And turnovers and shot selection were our biggest issues IMO. NExt year comes down to who we recruit. They seem to have confidence about who they are going after so I like that.

Parker Stewart would be an amazing get if we can fight off the big boys(I know he wouldn't be able to play next year but still)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am I find his tone and general demeanor to be rather grating. JJ was one of 2 bright spots this season and he acts like he's some POS scrub selfish player. Next year he is going to be the ONLY legit scorer on this current roster and he's telling him to cool it on the scoring? I don't think he knows basketball... Can you imagine if Shyatt had told Adams to cool it on the scoring and work more on facilitating for the scrubs he was playing with his senior season? Gimme a break.
+1. AE is just aggravating.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am

Bad games happen. Underachieving happens. Coach K had another great season in a career full of fantastic seasons. Edwards can toot his horn all he wants about he's doing things never accomplished at UW before but make no mistake about it, he is not even in the same universe as Coach K. Will he at some point? Maybe. But right now he is not a good coach and is not instilling very much confidence. Win total doesnt always tell the whole story. This years team could have won atleast 3 or 4 more games had there been any semblance of coaching player up instead of just screaming and cussing at them. He isnt a coach. He's a figurehead.
Maybe if Shyatt told Josh that we would have won more than 14 games that year. Why the hell are you bringing up coach K? Compare one of the greatest coaches of all time to a second year head coach? If we really want to go there Edwards already has more wins then coach Ks first 3 seasons at Duke. Coach k was 38-47 in his first 3 years at Duke. Took him 5 seasons to have winning conference record. I think you can look at any season and find 3 or 4 more wins we should have had honestly. It's d1 basketball coaches are going to yell get over it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:56 am

Maybe if Shyatt told Josh that we would have won more than 14 games that year. Why the hell are you bringing up coach K? Compare one of the greatest coaches of all time to a second year head coach? If we really want to go there Edwards already has more wins then coach Ks first 3 seasons at Duke. Coach k was 38-47 in his first 3 years at Duke. Took him 5 seasons to have winning conference record. I think you can look at any season and find 3 or 4 more wins we should have had honestly. It's d1 basketball coaches are going to yell get over it.
Can you read? My comment was in response to Bladerunner's comment about Coach K.....

And I have no problems with yelling. Yell until your hearts content. Coach K yells. But you know what else Coach K does? He coaches. Edwards doesnt. He yells and screams and cusses and gives his players the stink eye
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

I'm not saying Allen Edwards is a great coach. I really don't know how good he is. We lost some games this year we shouldn't have. I think that happens to pretty much everybody. But in terms of talent, we didn't have a true low post player and our point guard play was suspect, at best.

I think we finished about as high as our talent level. Let's see what kind of talent he brings in. I was a bit surprised in his q and a that he mentioned bringing in transfers and prep school kids. What about JC guys? I remember schroyer going the prep school route and everyone remembers those results.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:13 pm I think we finished about as high as our talent level. Let's see what kind of talent he brings in. I was a bit surprised in his q and a that he mentioned bringing in transfers and prep school kids. What about JC guys? I remember schroyer going the prep school route and everyone remembers those results.
JUCO is considered a transfer.

I believe the three guys we currently have coming in are all from prep schools.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

If I'm not mistaken, Aka Gorski was from a prep school too...
poke_addict
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:05 pm
poke_addict wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:56 am

Can you read? My comment was in response to Bladerunner's comment about Coach K.....

And I have no problems with yelling. Yell until your hearts content. Coach K yells. But you know what else Coach K does? He coaches. Edwards doesnt. He yells and screams and cusses and gives his players the stink eye
Lol I can read however it is selective sometimes. How can you say he's not coaching these kids up. Honestly I know we lost some games we shouldn't have and I am just as frustrated were not the dominant team in the MWC right now. I feel like expectations for basketball are higher than any other sport at UW by a steep margin. I get it. However Edwards has had back to back 20 win seasons this year's squad SOS was higher than any of the years Papa shy was in charge. Edwards beat a sweet 16 team and also had a good amount of Q1 wins. He is also not settling for low level tournaments as well. His eye is on a bigger prize. Look what he did to Herndon. Arguably the softest player in the history of UW basketball and he turns him into a defensive nightmare. I also don't think Hayden would have been as good without Edwards Hayden never averaged more than 10 points a game before he got to UW. Give the man some time....He at least is showing some fire and a desire to win unlike Papa shys final season here.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am I find his tone and general demeanor to be rather grating. JJ was one of 2 bright spots this season and he acts like he's some POS scrub selfish player.
Yeah, I hate when a coach tells a player he can help the team in more areas. Truly great coaches are satisfied with whatever the player does, and doesn't try to get the player to improve his game.