Edwards Q&A

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am I find his tone and general demeanor to be rather grating. JJ was one of 2 bright spots this season and he acts like he's some POS scrub selfish player. Next year he is going to be the ONLY legit scorer on this current roster and he's telling him to cool it on the scoring? I don't think he knows basketball... Can you imagine if Shyatt had told Adams to cool it on the scoring and work more on facilitating for the scrubs he was playing with his senior season? Gimme a break.
In all fairness, he did not call JJ selfish. He wants him to make others on the team better and to be the team leader. He knows JJ can take over a game offensively but 1 man shows rarely win a lot of games.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:15 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am I find his tone and general demeanor to be rather grating. JJ was one of 2 bright spots this season and he acts like he's some POS scrub selfish player. Next year he is going to be the ONLY legit scorer on this current roster and he's telling him to cool it on the scoring? I don't think he knows basketball... Can you imagine if Shyatt had told Adams to cool it on the scoring and work more on facilitating for the scrubs he was playing with his senior season? Gimme a break.
In all fairness, he did not call JJ selfish. He wants him to make others on the team better and to be the team leader. He knows JJ can take over a game offensively but 1 man shows rarely win a lot of games.
And the complete team he put around JJ this season did...

This just all sounds like a way for him to slough blame away from him onto one of his players. JJ in no way cost us games more than Dalton did, or Herndon did or Edwards did. I don't hear him turning his powers of perception on himself and demanding more of himself... Thats what rubs me the wrong way. He comes off as one of this people where he's already perfect, its up to others to make the changes necessary to change the outcome... Not him. I hate that.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:15 pm
And the complete team he put around JJ this season did...

This just all sounds like a way for him to slough blame away from him onto one of his players. JJ in no way cost us games more than Dalton did, or Herndon did or Edwards did. I don't hear him turning his powers of perception on himself and demanding more of himself... Thats what rubs me the wrong way. He comes off as one of this people where he's already perfect, its up to others to make the changes necessary to change the outcome... Not him. I hate that.
I don't see it that way at all. He says he needs to make tweaks to his system and that you always have to make changes but believes in it. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him to talk too much about Dalton and Herndon since they are gone. And he did mention Dalton(and James) hurting us with bad shots(in a round about way) as a way we need to improve. He is talking about things James needs to do to get better in the offseason. He isn't shifting the blame anywhere. He is saying how much more he wants JJ to be as a player. I think that's great. Step up be a leader get teammates involved and be a more complete player. I think he and JJ have a very good relationship so he can handle a bit of tough love from his coach.

That's how I read it anyway and my 2 cents.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:22 pm If I'm not mistaken, Aka Gorski was from a prep school too...
yes! Greatest cowboy of all time
andersonj
Buckaroo

DVDA wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 pm His players are constantly injured all year. That's the excuse that he's coming out with now. Fire Watsabaugh. The guy is a terrible S&C coach. This years injuries and the future injuries his up-tempo teams deal with will be due to poor conditioning.

Blaming turnovers and bad shot selection for the poor defense and saying "as we continue to grow and develop as a program" is a load of poop. This was a veteran team that underachieved due to terrible coaching. He's going to have a bunch freshmen next year. It will only get worse.

Edwards talking about overachieving and tooting his own horn makes me want to vomit. This was a veteran team with three of the better players in the conference. The conference has never been as down as it is now and he just couldn't be happier with a 6th place finish.
You had to watch the players carefully and Dalton consistently made mental errors that resulted in turnovers and that led to baskets by the opponents--not sure he was consistently one of the better players--Edwards saw the tapes and the games know what he is talking about here. You could see JJ make many small errors on defense and then a hard drive that ended up in a missed shot, time and time again. The Coach knows what he is talking about!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I think part of the problem with Dalton is he had too much freedom within the offense. He pretty much did everything. Looks like Justin may be next in line for the do-everything role.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:36 pm I think part of the problem with Dalton is he had too much freedom within the offense. He pretty much did everything. Looks like Justin may be next in line for the do-everything role.
I also think Edwards will loosen the leash on Maldonado quite a bit. Kid had some very encouraging flashes this past season. Definitely has an extremely bright future with the pokes.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

andersonj wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 pm
DVDA wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 pm His players are constantly injured all year. That's the excuse that he's coming out with now. Fire Watsabaugh. The guy is a terrible S&C coach. This years injuries and the future injuries his up-tempo teams deal with will be due to poor conditioning.

Blaming turnovers and bad shot selection for the poor defense and saying "as we continue to grow and develop as a program" is a load of poop. This was a veteran team that underachieved due to terrible coaching. He's going to have a bunch freshmen next year. It will only get worse.

Edwards talking about overachieving and tooting his own horn makes me want to vomit. This was a veteran team with three of the better players in the conference. The conference has never been as down as it is now and he just couldn't be happier with a 6th place finish.
You had to watch the players carefully and Dalton consistently made mental errors that resulted in turnovers and that led to baskets by the opponents--not sure he was consistently one of the better players--Edwards saw the tapes and the games know what he is talking about here. You could see JJ make many small errors on defense and then a hard drive that ended up in a missed shot, time and time again. The Coach knows what he is talking about!!
So what you're saying is poorly coached players make poor decisions. The issues of turnovers, bad shot selection, and poor defense have been here for the entirety of Edwards tenure. He has done absolutely nothing to develop the players on this roster. Telling your guys to take better shots and not turn the ball over is different from teaching them how to avoid those mistakes. Edwards had a veteran team this past year and they clearly didn't learn much of anything under him. The majority of the roster made mistakes you would expect from first and second year players.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

DVDA wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:10 pm
andersonj wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 pm

So what you're saying is poorly coached players make poor decisions. The issues of turnovers, bad shot selection, and poor defense have been here for the entirety of Edwards tenure. He has done absolutely nothing to develop the players on this roster. Telling your guys to take better shots and not turn the ball over is different from teaching them how to avoid those mistakes. Edwards had a veteran team this past year and they clearly didn't learn much of anything under him. The majority of the roster made mistakes you would expect from first and second year players.
Agree completely
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

DVDA wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:10 pm Edwards had a veteran team this past year and they clearly didn't learn much of anything under him.
I think one thing a lot of them learned is that this isn't the place they want to hang around in - and that appears to include James.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Are people saying players haven't gotten better under Edwards? Dalton and James were the same players two years ago as they were this last season, Herndon also? That's crazy talk. Of course these guys learned a lot from Edwards. I thought we should have been better this year due to our veterans but to claim that Edwards didn't develop the players is crazy.

Fact is Edwards system gives his players a lot of freedom and freedom to take shots when they are open. This especially applied to James and Dalton. This lead to some awful shots at times when they didn't take smart shots(especially Dalton certain games). I like the system because the players seem to really like it and it will help attract players more than Shyatts slow ball would. The system could use some tweaks and the coaches need to continue to coach the players and the players need to learn when to take the shot and when not to. We'll see how things go in year 3.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 am Are people saying players haven't gotten better under Edwards? Dalton and James were the same players two years ago as they were this last season, Herndon also? That's crazy talk. Of course these guys learned a lot from Edwards. I thought we should have been better this year due to our veterans but to claim that Edwards didn't develop the players is crazy.

Fact is Edwards system gives his players a lot of freedom and freedom to take shots when they are open. This especially applied to James and Dalton. This lead to some awful shots at times when they didn't take smart shots(especially Dalton certain games). I like the system because the players seem to really like it and it will help attract players more than Shyatts slow ball would. The system could use some tweaks and the coaches need to continue to coach the players and the players need to learn when to take the shot and when not to. We'll see how things go in year 3.
That's a good point. I would say Dalton James Herndan, Kelly, and even Aka Gorski all improved in the last 2 years. I don't think development is an issue. My biggest beefs are his rotations and the lack of focus on rebounding.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am
TSpoke wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 am Are people saying players haven't gotten better under Edwards? Dalton and James were the same players two years ago as they were this last season, Herndon also? That's crazy talk. Of course these guys learned a lot from Edwards. I thought we should have been better this year due to our veterans but to claim that Edwards didn't develop the players is crazy.

That's a good point. I would say Dalton James Herndan, Kelly, and even Aka Gorski all improved in the last 2 years. I don't think development is an issue. My biggest beefs are his rotations and the lack of focus on rebounding.
Fair enough. I also have some of those concerns. But not enough to burn the whole thing down and start over like some seem to be suggesting. At this point at least.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am

Fair enough. I also have some of those concerns. But not enough to burn the whole thing down and start over like some seem to be suggesting. At this point at least.
I agree I want to see what he can do with his own recruits in key roles.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 pm The only thing that really bothered me was trying to overrate how good the MWC is. This is by far not the best/deepest it has ever been.
After Nevada (15-3), there were five teams within 3 games of second place, from 13 to 10 wins. I think that's what he was talking about in terms of the depth of the conference. Teams in the top half of the league finished much closer to each other in the standings. Compare to four years ago, for example, when after the top two teams (16-2 and 15-3), the next closest teams were 10-8. That's a much bigger gap than there was this year.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo