So sick of mediocre...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

We love to tout facilities and how progressive the University is in regard to athletics, yet outside of wrestling (and Josh Allen), WTF have we done with those facilities that would have justified the investment? I'm admittedly a bit salty, but I am sick and tired of hearing "We came to win, but just came up a little short" type of excuses.

Watching the results of the WBB team down the stretch, and the playground ball we see from the men's side at times makes me want to vomit. There is no reason, absolutely none, why we shouldn't be able to a winning team together given the investments made toward facilities, if that is in fact the reason we are touting for making those investments....

/rantover
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I personally see the issue resonating loudest in basketball. Both men and women’s underperformed and have for the better part of a decade. Make no mistake about it though, football is turning around in a hurry. We are a lot more than just Josh Allen. But totally agree about basketball. Totally inept and no real direction to solve it. It won’t happen but I’d like to see the entire men staff be replaced. I am not convinced this group has the ability turn this program around.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 pm I personally see the issue resonating loudest in basketball. Both men and women’s underperformed and have for the better part of a decade. Make no mistake about it though, football is turning around in a hurry. We are a lot more than just Josh Allen. But totally agree about basketball. Totally inept and no real direction to solve it. It won’t happen but I’d like to see the entire men staff be replaced. I am not convinced this group has the ability turn this program around.
Not sure I agree in regards to football. That looks like a dumpster fire waiting to happen. Bohl is 6-20 without Josh Allen and the most recent game we played without him was among the worst in the entire history of our program (SJSU was clearly the worst team to ever compete in the MWC prior to our game, now it is close between 2017 SJSU and 2000 WYO for the title of worst MWC team of all time). Those are the players/coaches that will be on the field next year.

Bohl talks a good game, but in the end he was 5-3 in the MWC last year and is 15-17 overall in MWC play. Not sure how that translates as really any better than 10-8, 18-18 (Edwards), or 13-5, 145-98 (Legerski).

Football and Men's BB look to be in real trouble moving into next year and we pretty much know what will happen with Women's BB (decent record, first round MWCT exit).

I really don't know what to do at this point. Bohl, DC, and Glenn all looked like solid hires at the time. Edwards and Schroyer were both questionable hires, which is why those instances really tick me off. There isn't really anything Burman/UW can do about Legerski. He wins more than almost any other coach at UW (Callihan is giving him a run for his money, and Denniston is starting off solid), he has been around forever, his teams do well in the classroom and the community, etc. The most likely scenario of a coaching change in Women's BB is a decline (see SDSU/Burns, UNM/Flanagan, Utah/Elliott, etc.) from our current setup. There is no real good answer there.

March is almost always a disappointing time to be a UW fan.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:20 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 pm I personally see the issue resonating loudest in basketball. Both men and women’s underperformed and have for the better part of a decade. Make no mistake about it though, football is turning around in a hurry. We are a lot more than just Josh Allen. But totally agree about basketball. Totally inept and no real direction to solve it. It won’t happen but I’d like to see the entire men staff be replaced. I am not convinced this group has the ability turn this program around.
Not sure I agree in regards to football. That looks like a dumpster fire waiting to happen. Bohl is 6-20 without Josh Allen and the most recent game we played without him was among the worst in the entire history of our program (SJSU was clearly the worst team to ever compete in the MWC prior to our game, now it is close between 2017 SJSU and 2000 WYO for the title of worst MWC team of all time). Those are the players/coaches that will be on the field next year.

Bohl talks a good game, but in the end he was 5-3 in the MWC last year and is 15-17 overall in MWC play. Not sure how that translates as really any better than 10-8, 18-18 (Edwards), or 13-5, 145-98 (Legerski).

Football and Men's BB look to be in real trouble moving into next year and we pretty much know what will happen with Women's BB (decent record, first round MWCT exit).

I really don't know what to do at this point. Bohl, DC, and Glenn all looked like solid hires at the time. Edwards and Schroyer were both questionable hires, which is why those instances really tick me off. There isn't really anything Burman/UW can do about Legerski. He wins more than almost any other coach at UW (Callihan is giving him a run for his money, and Denniston is starting off solid), he has been around forever, his teams do well in the classroom and the community, etc. The most likely scenario of a coaching change in Women's BB is a decline (see SDSU/Burns, UNM/Flanagan, Utah/Elliott, etc.) from our current setup. There is no real good answer there.

Yeah, I don’t get the blind Bohl worship. I will give Bohl one thing, he knows how to play the ideal role of Head Wyoming football coach off the field perfectly. I know we get hammered more on the other board for a more critical outlook on his performance to date.

Barring some miracle offseason QB/offense improvement the football team is staring down the barrel of a challenging 7 game stretch to open the 2018 season with (gulp) Nick Smith or an unproven freshman QB at the helm. That reeks of a potential 1-6, 2-5 dumpster fire start to the year. I hope I am wrong.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:45 am

Yeah, I don’t get the blind Bohl worship. I will give Bohl one thing, he knows how to play the ideal role of Head Wyoming football coach off the field perfectly. I know we get hammered more on the other board for a more critical outlook on his performance to date.

Barring some miracle offseason QB/offense improvement the football team is staring down the barrel of a challenging 7 game stretch to open the 2018 season with (gulp) Nick Smith or an unproven freshman QB at the helm. That reeks of a potential 1-6, 2-5 dumpster fire start to the year. I hope I am wrong.
Yeah, I am concerned. We have actually had pretty decent luck with freshman QB's through the years (Sween, ACS, Smith), and I am hopeful that either Chambers or Vander Wal will really separate themselves in camp. However, even Josh Allen couldn't be successful with a steady diet of 3rd and 8's. Vigen/Bohl are not going to change their philosophy. We are going to run the ball the majority of the time. We are going to run the ball on early downs. We are going to run out of the power formation. Until we have the personnel to do so successfully, it is going to be tough slog. I don't see anything we did that makes me think we will have the personnel to be a successful power running team.

Defense will be fun though. Maybe we should let Granderson play RB, LOL.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Basketball...

Where to start? A fan base like ours, travels so we'll to Vegas. With little reward. But the local home game crowds are not at the level we want them to be. Reflecting back on the seasons that we had great crowds, and great teams in the late 80s and early 2000, it all came from the product on the floor.

We had a couple of knockout home run recruiting classes back to back that could play. The crowds came after. Lately, we have had a few classes that had one highlight player, and some question marks. We just haven't had two year period that had three badasses per class. In Laramie, it's important that we get badasses that play both offense and defense, if we don't system coach either way. What I'm saying is the current system doesn't really encourage either style of play, so we better get guys that understand the game well enough to just play open and free. Which, I might add, is a style that I'm not crazy about, due to the fact of the type of recruits we have been getting. They need some learning, teach the weave, teach switching defensively, teach pick and roll, teach crashing the glass, teach full court press... Teach something.

I'm tired of watching two guys drive and three guys stand around. Our inactivity while people drive is nauseating. Guys pulling up for threes while not open, because of no movement is nauseating. If a guy jacks up a three because they ran out of clock because of laziness, there should be some ass chewing too multiple players. There needs to be a sense of accountability, which I am not seeing. If it not there in game time, i doubt it's there in practice.

Just blah.... Lazy basketball. That's kinda how I feel
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

carbonpoke wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 am Lately, we have had a few classes that had one highlight player, and some question marks.
Well just wait till next year. It will be worse. James will be the equivalent of SJSU's Welage. And the rest will be like SJSU. The question marks will have answers which are not good. Maybe the 2020 team might show.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:45 am

Agree with every word.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 pm
carbonpoke wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 am Lately, we have had a few classes that had one highlight player, and some question marks.
Well just wait till next year. It will be worse. James will be the equivalent of SJSU's Welage. And the rest will be like SJSU. The question marks will have answers which are not good. Maybe the 2020 team might show.
I think the team will be a little better than SJSU since James>>>Welage and Mack/Maldonado will have an offseason to improve their bodies and game. I anticipate James and Mack playing a lot of 4 in the offense next year. Moemeka fouling out after 15 minutes is what will really kill the team next year since there are no good options currently on the roster as big men. If Naughton stays, he's too slow laterally to defend the perimeter. Thompson is a young big which means he'll likely take a year or two to develop. Jones is skinny enough that he makes Dalton look like a big guy. I would feel a lot better about this team if they landed a legitimate juco big man to play center and hired a strength and conditioning coach that wasn't completely inept. Beyond that, Edwards needs to decide on an identity for the team and learn how to properly implement it.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Unfortunately this year our team only did one thing with consistency and that was starting way too many games down by 10+.

Is live to say wait until next year but all year long e never found an identity and I'm not sure another year will change that.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

If we could land a good grad transfer, that would help a lot. A post player would be ideal but if we were able to get a guard who could handle the ball and score points to come in that would help too. I like the young guys we have and the new signings have potential but I would hate to waste James senior year and think we need at least one more reliable senior.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 am If we could land a good grad transfer, that would help a lot. A post player would be ideal but if we were able to get a guard who could handle the ball and score points to come in that would help too. I like the young guys we have and the new signings have potential but I would hate to waste James senior year and think we need at least one more reliable senior.
I foresee another Josh Adams type senior season for JJ. We have some talent but without a transfer or two I think were gonna be outmatched next season. Hope I'm wrong.
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

You guys are all wishing for a big when we have no one to handle the ball. We are at least 2 years out, and that is if our recruiting and player development is outstanding.

we're in trouble. I'm being optimistic.

ww
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Guess the standing around and just hoisting up 3s and no O rebounds is the Era of bball we're in now, but totally agree medioracy sux, another 10 years b4 our next NCAA tourney bid as history shows us