Is Edwards really the best we could do?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Why can't we bring in a ringer, a proven coach to make us BETTER than we were under Shyatt (which was marginally good) You KNOW that the fans would respond. This team just gets worse and worse as the season goes on as we watch others improve. So poorly coached.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Hard to argue. Some players have improved while some have regressed and no one has really jelled. Flashes of a really good team totally overshadowed by bad strategy and worse play calling. We got ran out of our own gym. We got full courted to death. It’s a strategy I think we should employ to truly maximize our altitude. Never really understood why we don’t try to tire teams out...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Ugh. Giving up 120 pets makes me ill. I thought that’s why we didn’t offensive rebound? To play d... oh wait
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

GOWYO wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm Why can't we bring in a ringer, a proven coach to make us BETTER than we were under Shyatt (which was marginally good) You KNOW that the fans would respond. This team just gets worse and worse as the season goes on as we watch others improve. So poorly coached.
Do you trust Burman to find that ringer, proven coach? I don't, not one bit. I've seen enough of his hires.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

That game was something. The lack of defense was troubling but not having Herndon really hurt us(I know he played some but he was not himself when he did) he is very important to our defense. His interior D with not only blocks but the amount of shots he changes down there were missed badly. Moemeka needs to learn how to do some of that without fouling every other time. It also killed us when Hunter went out. HE is active on D and causes turnovers by getting his hand on passes.(I realize we gave up over 50 in the first half with him in there but our D looked noticeably worse after he got hurt).

On some positives maybe the output on offense will carry over for the rest of the year..who knows? And I liked what I saw out of Mueller. HE could be a decent player next year for us. It looks like he jumped ahead of Buhda in the rotation lately.

As far as the OP goes...I'm sure we could have gotten someone better as when you look back at almost every hire there was probably someone better you could have hired given the hindsight but I liked the hire at the time and I still like it now. I had higher hopes for this team as a senior laden team with plenty of experience(Al never became the player I thought he could have for more than a few flashes, HD and Adams were too inconsistent, and Aka didn't take the step forward I expected). Edwards needs a chance to get the types of players he wants to run his system. Last recruiting class was great and the guys we currently have coming in all seem to be a certain type(tall and athletic). Edwards gets 2 more years to show what he can do(barring a complete melt down).
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Uhhh no.

The search that resulted in Edwards did not even attempt to get us the best coach possible. Only interviewing internal candidates is a terrible approach. But given the fact that the state of Wyoming is so broke, it was about all we could do I suppose.

But no there are wayyyyy better coaches out there than Edwards.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 am That game was something. The lack of defense was troubling but not having Herndon really hurt us(I know he played some but he was not himself when he did) he is very important to our defense. His interior D with not only blocks but the amount of shots he changes down there were missed badly. Moemeka needs to learn how to do some of that without fouling every other time. It also killed us when Hunter went out. HE is active on D and causes turnovers by getting his hand on passes.(I realize we gave up over 50 in the first half with him in there but our D looked noticeably worse after he got hurt).

On some positives maybe the output on offense will carry over for the rest of the year..who knows? And I liked what I saw out of Mueller. HE could be a decent player next year for us. It looks like he jumped ahead of Buhda in the rotation lately.

As far as the OP goes...I'm sure we could have gotten someone better as when you look back at almost every hire there was probably someone better you could have hired given the hindsight but I liked the hire at the time and I still like it now. I had higher hopes for this team as a senior laden team with plenty of experience(Al never became the player I thought he could have for more than a few flashes, HD and Adams were too inconsistent, and Aka didn't take the step forward I expected). Edwards needs a chance to get the types of players he wants to run his system. Last recruiting class was great and the guys we currently have coming in all seem to be a certain type(tall and athletic). Edwards gets 2 more years to show what he can do(barring a complete melt down).
Sorry but BS. Edwards had a hand in recruiting everyone of these kids. He doesn't get a pass to get players to fit "his system". He wanted the job and knew what he had on the roster. Shouldn't be that complicated to make your "system" fit the roster that who helped develop. Is his type of player the highly acclaimed Buddha Jones? Honestly, I don't think Edwards has a "system". No free passes here. Didn't we learn from Schroyer that waiting on players to fit a system is all bunch of crap, just an excuse for losing. Seems like the New Mexico coach was alright stepping in and has progressed with the roster he inherited, I don't hear excuses that his roster doesn't fit his system. Happens all over the country, just not in Laramie Wyoming.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 am
TSpoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 am That game was something. The lack of defense was troubling but not having Herndon really hurt us(I know he played some but he was not himself when he did) he is very important to our defense. His interior D with not only blocks but the amount of shots he changes down there were missed badly. Moemeka needs to learn how to do some of that without fouling every other time. It also killed us when Hunter went out. HE is active on D and causes turnovers by getting his hand on passes.(I realize we gave up over 50 in the first half with him in there but our D looked noticeably worse after he got hurt).

Sorry but BS. Edwards had a hand in recruiting everyone of these kids. He doesn't get a pass to get players to fit "his system". He wanted the job and knew what he had on the roster. Shouldn't be that complicated to make your "system" fit the roster that who helped develop. Is his type of player the highly acclaimed Buddha Jones? Honestly, I don't think Edwards has a "system". No free passes here. Didn't we learn from Schroyer that waiting on players to fit a system is all bunch of crap, just an excuse for losing. Seems like the New Mexico coach was alright stepping in and has progressed with the roster he inherited, I don't hear excuses that his roster doesn't fit his system. Happens all over the country, just not in Laramie Wyoming.
Not saying a free pass. You are acting like the team is an awful team. He won the CBI in his first year with the players he "inherited"(I agree he had a hand in recruiting them but that doesn't mean they were what he is looking for as head coach, more likely than an new coach though) and has the 3rd best RPI in the conference(not that RPI is the be all end all but it is hard to have a decent RPI while being as bad as people here claim our team to be)
Its interesting you use New MExico as an example of a team doing well. They are one game better than us in the conference and at .500 overall. They have been playing better in conference than they were earlier in the season but it is still too early to claim they have arrived or even that they will finish in front of us.
What I was saying is that Edwards has had enough success in his first two years to give him more time to grow his team and the program. What is the alternative? Fire him after 2 seasons when in year one he won 23 games and won the CBI and another possible 20 win season in year 2? We will have a hard time getting any good candidates interested doing that. Like it or not he will be our coach for at least another 2 years unless he blows up.(Next year might be a step back with what we are losing but I hope our young guys are ready to step in)

I have a lot of issues with some of Edwards decisions but currently see more good than bad with him and think he has a higher ceiling that Shyatt.(not that that is very high). He will get a couple more years.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 am

Not saying a free pass. You are acting like the team is an awful team. He won the CBI in his first year with the players he "inherited"(I agree he had a hand in recruiting them but that doesn't mean they were what he is looking for as head coach, more likely than an new coach though) and has the 3rd best RPI in the conference(not that RPI is the be all end all but it is hard to have a decent RPI while being as bad as people here claim our team to be)
Its interesting you use New MExico as an example of a team doing well. They are one game better than us in the conference and at .500 overall. They have been playing better in conference than they were earlier in the season but it is still too early to claim they have arrived or even that they will finish in front of us.
What I was saying is that Edwards has had enough success in his first two years to give him more time to grow his team and the program. What is the alternative? Fire him after 2 seasons when in year one he won 23 games and won the CBI and another possible 20 win season in year 2? We will have a hard time getting any good candidates interested doing that. Like it or not he will be our coach for at least another 2 years unless he blows up.(Next year might be a step back with what we are losing but I hope our young guys are ready to step in)

I have a lot of issues with some of Edwards decisions but currently see more good than bad with him and think he has a higher ceiling that Shyatt.(not that that is very high). He will get a couple more years.
Shyatt's ceiling was the NCAA tournament. Considering we have reached it twice in the last 30 years that is pretty high for UW. Edwards will likely never even get us to the NIT. Next year is going to be a special kind of awful.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

New Mexico looks to be on the upswing in Year 1. They just swept us. That's why they were referenced. This mentality of 2 more years is what killed our program under Schroyer. If its not working, its not working. This team will be terrible next year and a waste of a very good talent in JJ. Looking beyond next season, what will we have to carry us. I don't see an influx of talent to run his system. And I have no faith in him addressing our shortcomings. Hell, he couldn't even see that we needed a quality point guard for this season, let alone a solid post player. We will just continue to pursue 6'6 175 pound wings.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

It's not like we get our pick of the next Reggie Slater or Justin Williams. Good post players are always in short supply. I don't know what the answer is. I'm pretty sure UW will never pony up big money for a game changing coach. He might not come here anyway. In all fairness to Edwards, there isn't a lot of talent on this team. Without Herndon last night, we have no defensive presence around the basket.

But I would agree something was amiss last night. We left guys so wide open that they could set their feet and measure the shot like it was a game of horse. That's unacceptable imo. I'm sure Edwards is not going to get fired no matter how bad we finish the season. I see a 9-9 conference record with a quick exit in the tournament. But mediocre is probably good enough for him to see 2 more years. Sad.

Regarding finances: Why do all that renovating at a tremendous cost and then spend nothing on coaching with an empty arena as the result? It makes about as much sense as buying a 2k dollar barbeque grill and then cooking roadkill on it.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 am

New Mexico looks to be on the upswing in Year 1. They just swept us. That's why they were referenced. This mentality of 2 more years is what killed our program under Schroyer. If its not working, its not working. This team will be terrible next year and a waste of a very good talent in JJ. Looking beyond next season, what will we have to carry us. I don't see an influx of talent to run his system. And I have no faith in him addressing our shortcomings. Hell, he couldn't even see that we needed a quality point guard for this season, let alone a solid post player. We will just continue to pursue 6'6 175 pound wings.
I don't see how you can compare Edwards to Schroyer. Shcroyer won 12 games his first year Edwards won 23 and won the CBI. That's not a bad starting point for the team. the next year was Schroyer's only winning season wit h19 wins. It could be a similar year to that for Edwards this year. Which is a disappointment to me but lets see how the year finishes out. You could argue that we are better this year than last with an (most likely) improved conference record from last year in tougher MW(with wins against the best teams). Did I think we would be better and compete for he top spots in the league ? Yes, but the media didn't have us there and we are still preforming better than our pre-season ranking so maybe my eyes were clouded in Brown and Gold.

My main point is that to this point Edwards has not performed to the level of getting fired in 2 years. Based on his results he gets another year and most likely 2. No AD would make that move.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

The problem with Edwards has been his failure to recognize the mismatch between the players he has, with their numbers staring him right in the face, and the system he's attempting to run. A prime example is our emphasis on tempo and three-point shooting. Our shot selection is that of a good shooting team, but we are not a good shooting team. That combined with the carelessness in our passing and ball-handling makes for an efficiency nightmare where we are tossing 20-30 possessions per game in the garbage with turnovers and bad shots.

There are 22 teams that have taken more three point shots this season than Wyoming:

2 are worse shooting teams from distance than Wyoming: Savannah St, Coppin State (these are two of the very worst teams in college basketball)
20 are better and 8 of those are top 100 3-pt shooting teams (Belmont, North Florida, New Mexico, Mt. St. Mary's, Washington St, Creighton, Villanova, So Dak St.)

Of the teams top 10 in adjusted tempo on KenPom (Wyoming is 8), only Savannah State, Bethuane-Cookman, Lipscomb, UT-Rio Grande Valley are worse 3pt shooting teams. Not exactly a list of powerhouses.

There's a pretty obvious correlation here: how many of these awful teams are led by terrible (probably new or first-time) coaches? My guess would be all of them. It takes a pretty hard-headed coach to continue this late into the season running a volume-shooting system without the players to actually make it work. If Edwards would have seen this after the non-conference season we could have been working on a real half-court offense. Sure we don't have a true point guard to run through, but it would be better than ending up on a list with Savannah State and Coppin State.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm The problem with Edwards has been his failure to recognize the mismatch between the players he has, with their numbers staring him right in the face, and the system he's attempting to run. A prime example is our emphasis on tempo and three-point shooting. Our shot selection is that of a good shooting team, but we are not a good shooting team. That combined with the carelessness in our passing and ball-handling makes for an efficiency nightmare where we are tossing 20-30 possessions per game in the garbage with turnovers and bad shots.

There are 22 teams that have taken more three point shots this season than Wyoming:

2 are worse shooting teams from distance than Wyoming: Savannah St, Coppin State (these are two of the very worst teams in college basketball)
20 are better and 8 of those are top 100 3-pt shooting teams (Belmont, North Florida, New Mexico, Mt. St. Mary's, Washington St, Creighton, Villanova, So Dak St.)

Of the teams top 10 in adjusted tempo on KenPom (Wyoming is 8), only Savannah State, Bethuane-Cookman, Lipscomb, UT-Rio Grande Valley are worse 3pt shooting teams. Not exactly a list of powerhouses.

There's a pretty obvious correlation here: how many of these awful teams are led by terrible (probably new or first-time) coaches? My guess would be all of them. It takes a pretty hard-headed coach to continue this late into the season running a volume-shooting system without the players to actually make it work. If Edwards would have seen this after the non-conference season we could have been working on a real half-court offense. Sure we don't have a true point guard to run through, but it would be better than ending up on a list with Savannah State and Coppin State.
Agreed with everything but this. I guess I am not sure what else Kelley and Redding should be doing? Both play serviceable Defense, both can score in spurts, bot facilitate getting the "offense" started. While desirable, there aren't a ton of Brandon Ewings or Jay Straights knocking down UW's doors. Of all the positions on the floor this season, PG is one the least of our issues. Have you seen our "bigs"? Just because they're tall doesn't mean they're good...
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:18 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm The problem with Edwards has been his failure to recognize the mismatch between the players he has, with their numbers staring him right in the face, and the system he's attempting to run. A prime example is our emphasis on tempo and three-point shooting. Our shot selection is that of a good shooting team, but we are not a good shooting team. That combined with the carelessness in our passing and ball-handling makes for an efficiency nightmare where we are tossing 20-30 possessions per game in the garbage with turnovers and bad shots.

Agreed with everything but this. I guess I am not sure what else Kelley and Redding should be doing? Both play serviceable Defense, both can score in spurts, bot facilitate getting the "offense" started. While desirable, there aren't a ton of Brandon Ewings or Jay Straights knocking down UW's doors. Of all the positions on the floor this season, PG is one the least of our issues. Have you seen our "bigs"? Just because they're tall doesn't mean they're good...
Maybe I'm being unfair to them because we haven't embraced a system that maximizes their role. That being said I love Kelley as a scrappy kid with a Wyoming background, but I have very little faith in him as an offensive scorer/facilitator. Frankly he's been a no-show on that side of the ball for most if not all of our important conference games. Teams are going to have a pretty easy time shutting down a half-court offense run by him because he's simply not a threat to drive or make you pay with shooting ability.

I would love to see Redding's role expanded next season in a more concrete half-court offense. He, unlike Kelley, has shown strides as the season has gone along and is a pest on defense.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I agree that a problem with the team was the 3 point shooting. If you look at the percentages I think we can see why. I imagine the team and the coaches thought they would shoot better this year(as most players get better with time) but the opposite has happened. Herndon, JJ, and Aka all have taken big hits to their 3 point %. I read somewhere that Aka's goal this year was to be the best 3 point shooter in the league this year...Ouch. That is a big factor this season. If we hit the same percentage as last year I think we would have seen more wins this year. So in a way I can see the reasoning. They know they are better shooters than they have been so they keep on shooting. The problem is they haven't turned it around yet except for select games. So I agree they should have switched it up(which they had during a couple games but then go back to bombing away).
I don't think we will shoot as many 3's next year as we won't have as many so called shooters out there. Al will be replaced my Moemeka and whoever replaces HD in the starting 5 won't have the same 3 pointer green light HD has. But we will see.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:38 pm

I agree that a problem with the team was the 3 point shooting. If you look at the percentages I think we can see why. I imagine the team and the coaches thought they would shoot better this year(as most players get better with time) but the opposite has happened. Herndon, JJ, and Aka all have taken big hits to their 3 point %. I read somewhere that Aka's goal this year was to be the best 3 point shooter in the league this year...Ouch. That is a big factor this season. If we hit the same percentage as last year I think we would have seen more wins this year. So in a way I can see the reasoning. They know they are better shooters than they have been so they keep on shooting. The problem is they haven't turned it around yet except for select games. So I agree they should have switched it up(which they had during a couple games but then go back to bombing away).
I don't think we will shoot as many 3's next year as we won't have as many so called shooters out there. Al will be replaced my Moemeka and whoever replaces HD in the starting 5 won't have the same 3 pointer green light HD has. But we will see.
I didn't realize Al only played 5 minutes per game before fouling out. :shock:
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:41 pm
TSpoke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:38 pm

I didn't realize Al only played 5 minutes per game before fouling out. :shock:

??

I was discussing next year and how most likely Moemeka will start instead of Al. and Moemeka won't shoot 3's like Al did.