Empty Seats in the AA

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

As a side topic to another discussion...I believe the empty seats have more to do with $$ / greed than anything. UW did an absolute horrendous job with the seat re-assigning, by taking the true fans out of their seats, and replacing them with empty seats and more $$.

As I understand it, the empty $$ seats create more money than when the place had twice the attendance. Couple that with the W/L record the last 12 or so years, the Shroyer debacle, a very strange "part II" remodel - and there you have it.

My question - what will it take to get it back. Time? A few back-to-back 25+ win seasons? Just makes me sick to see the lower bowl 1/2 full.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

What do you think of ticket prices? Even seats 25 rows off the court behind the basket are 35 dollars. Throw in a few 8 dollar beers and you've spent 50 on a game (last sat) that was basically over at the half.

For that kind of dough, there should be half naked dancers at half time, not babies crawling to mommy at half court.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 am What do you think of ticket prices? Even seats 25 rows off the court behind the basket are 35 dollars. Throw in a few 8 dollar beers and you've spent 50 on a game (last sat) that was basically over at the half.

For that kind of dough, there should be half naked dancers at half time, not babies crawling to mommy at half court.
Face value ticket prices are rough - no doubt about it. Season tickets, are quite reasonable still - if you can get past the $500-per-seat CJC hump. For instance, would I honestly pay $37 to watch UW vs. NM on a Tuesday night (the face value of my tickets)? Hell no. And the $8 beers are garbage in quality these days, so I am going to stop dumping that $$ down the drain.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Apparently single game UW tix are priced higher than all of the other schools in our region.

Winning would solve most of the problems, though. Like winning in conference, not the cupcake wins that Shyatt and AE have been piling up.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Don’t forget or underestimate the god awful parking situation. The last thing I want to do after driving over the summit is to have to park 10 blocks from the AA and walk past hundreds of unused parking spots right next to the arena.

20-30 years ago people would put up with these kind of inconveniences but in the modern world nobody is doing that.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:What do you think of ticket prices? Even seats 25 rows off the court behind the basket are 35 dollars. Throw in a few 8 dollar beers and you've spent 50 on a game (last sat) that was basically over at the half.

Hey....my kid won that race last year

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

I think a lot of those lower bowl tickets get snapped up by businesses that may use the seats 3 or fewer games per season. They should limit businesses on buying those unless they actually use them. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to buy basketball tickets and see zero or very limited availability in the lower bowl, not go to the game, watch on tv/online and see 2/3 of the lower bowl completely empty.

The answer of course is to buy basketball season tickets, but in my head I can’t justify those tickets if I can only make 3-5 games a year.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 64 times

GoPokes86 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:36 pm I think a lot of those lower bowl tickets get snapped up by businesses that may use the seats 3 or fewer games per season. They should limit businesses on buying those unless they actually use them. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to buy basketball tickets and see zero or very limited availability in the lower bowl, not go to the game, watch on tv/online and see 2/3 of the lower bowl completely empty.

The answer of course is to buy basketball season tickets, but in my head I can’t justify those tickets if I can only make 3-5 games a year.
It's one thing to have football season tickets. But living in Fort Collins, I'm not risking my life driving 287 at night in the winter. I used to make the drive more frequently when I was young and stupid (now I'm just stupid) and the team was a lot better. Plus, in the old days, if you wanted to see the game, you had to go. TV has made many of us lazy, I'm afraid.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

I don't know if the attendance will ever recover from the Heath Schroyer days. I think the team will have to go on a long, sustained run of winning against some good teams. They beat up on weaklings, and then, inevitably, every time there is a big crowd, the team lays an egg. Apathy has set in for a lot of people and it's going to take a lot to overcome.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:56 pm I don't know if the attendance will ever recover from the Heath Schroyer days. I think the team will have to go on a long, sustained run of winning against some good teams. They beat up on weaklings, and then, inevitably, every time there is a big crowd, the team lays an egg. Apathy has set in for a lot of people and it's going to take a lot to overcome.
Certainly a good point. Heath ruined us (he was an asshole to the bulk of the fanbase). But it started with Bucky, in my opinion. I specifically remember our 100th anniversary game against Utah as an example. That was the middle of the end with Bucky...well...that and Mrs. Burman getting in a verbal catfight with Mrs. Bucky in the stands at the MWC tourney in Denver...lol!
Dear Karma,

SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:56 pm I don't know if the attendance will ever recover from the Heath Schroyer days. I think the team will have to go on a long, sustained run of winning against some good teams. They beat up on weaklings, and then, inevitably, every time there is a big crowd, the team lays an egg. Apathy has set in for a lot of people and it's going to take a lot to overcome.
Certainly a good point. Heath ruined us (he was an asshole to the bulk of the fanbase). But it started with Bucky, in my opinion. I specifically remember our 100th anniversary game against Utah as an example. That was the middle of the end with Bucky...well...that and Mrs. Burman getting in a verbal catfight with Mrs. Bucky in the stands at the MWC tourney in Denver...lol!
I remember being in the crowd that night they won the conference with that win over Utah - largest crowd in AA history. It's going to take something like that to right the ship.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:19 pm
I remember being in the crowd that night they won the conference with that win over Utah - largest crowd in AA history. It's going to take something like that to right the ship.
I doubt attendance will ever rebound to the way it was before Shroyer. He stunk up the program, but he also did it at a time when technology was changing behaviors significantly. "Smart phones" became a thing around that time. By the time he had left, everyone decided our sports sucked, and would rather get that little high by liking someone on facebook or whatever. "Whats the point - Alabama or some other team is all the rage. Might as well spend my time on facebook...."

Technology will kill attendance - at least in the short term until someone can come up with a universally killer idea to get people back in the stands.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 am
I doubt attendance will ever rebound to the way it was before Shroyer. He stunk up the program, but he also did it at a time when technology was changing behaviors significantly. "Smart phones" became a thing around that time. By the time he had left, everyone decided our sports sucked, and would rather get that little high by liking someone on facebook or whatever. "Whats the point - Alabama or some other team is all the rage. Might as well spend my time on facebook...."

Technology will kill attendance - at least in the short term until someone can come up with a universally killer idea to get people back in the stands.
Perhaps winning consistently would work?
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CowboyNV wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:27 am
WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 am

Perhaps winning consistently would work?
That's crazy talk!