Wyoming Wrestling Defeats Oklahoma

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Wyoming continued their streak of dominance this week. Clearly Wyoming and Oklahoma are trending in opposite directions, but they are still a tough program. Wyoming still needs to find a 197 as Paine has been filling in lately. Kruger seems to wrestle well against guys bigger because he is so good Greco style he can toss guys. Meredith got taken down and reversed the guy so quickly I am not sure anyone knew what happened. Sam Turner was the match of the night though. He was down 7-5 with about 30 seconds left and scored an escape and takedown in the final 10 seconds to win. I suspect he will be back in the rankings this week.
This weekend is the last chance to see Meredith and Colgan wrestle at home and I hope there is another large crowd for them.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

IMO, Bryce Meredith has changed the attitude of the program that Wyoming can compete with and beat anyone. I doubt Bridges would be anywhere close to the wrestler he is without Meredith to drill with. When all is said and done, Meredith may go down as the best wrestler in Wyoming history.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 am IMO, Bryce Meredith has changed the attitude of the program that Wyoming can compete with and beat anyone. I doubt Bridges would be anywhere close to the wrestler he is without Meredith to drill with. When all is said and done, Meredith may go down as the best wrestler in Wyoming history.
I was thinking the same thing about Meredith and Bridges. Meredith wouldn't be as good as he is without Teyon Ware to drill with. World-class talent in the room in the lower weights.

Bryce and Joe LeBlanc are 1a and 1b for me.

I'm excited for the Big XIIs.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 am IMO, Bryce Meredith has changed the attitude of the program that Wyoming can compete with and beat anyone. I doubt Bridges would be anywhere close to the wrestler he is without Meredith to drill with. When all is said and done, Meredith may go down as the best wrestler in Wyoming history.
I was thinking the same thing about Meredith and Bridges. Meredith wouldn't be as good as he is without Teyon Ware to drill with. World-class talent in the room in the lower weights.

LeBlanc was a great wrestler. But IMO the conversation comes down to Dick Ballinger, Reese Andy and Bryce Meredith.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am

LeBlanc was a great wrestler. But IMO the conversation comes down to Dick Ballinger, Reese Andy and Bryce Meredith.
I think by the end of his career Bridges will be right in that conversation as well
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyokoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am

I think by the end of his career Bridges will be right in that conversation as well
WAY WAY too early to be making that proclamation! Bridges has yet to even wrestle at an NCAA tournament let alone achieve All-American status. Many wrestlers come onto the stage with great freshman records and then accomplish little in their career. Talent alone is not sufficient. The individual has to have a passion for the sport and winning and maintain that same passion throughout the 4-5 years...this is difficult to do and few people are that driven. Meredith has had the drive his entire career at Wyoming.

Just off the top of my head and using 141 this year as an example, Joey McKenna was unbeatable as a freshman at Stanford and was widely picked to win a National Title. Meredith knocked McKenna off in the semi-finals in 2016 and McKenna has done very little since (not even placing in 2017 and then transferring to Ohio State).