Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:59 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 am
JimmyDimes wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:25 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 am
307bball wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm Yep, McClain had two titles to Shyatts tourney championship. I believe he only had two losing seasons as well. If Brandon Ewing doesn't miss consecutive free throws McClain wins a tourney as well. I liked Shyatt but we was overrated, and his last season was a total waste of a top player.
LOL...McClain is NOT a good coach. His heyday at Wyoming coincided with one of the best collection of talent EVER at UW. Once the talent level dipped ....well the results speak for themselves. Look at what Shyatt was able to accomplish with far less talent. I loved the Nance, Cooke, Grabeau, team but talent-wise, the '00-'02 cowboys were wayyy more loaded.
I would take him over Schroyer and Edwards anyday, everyday....
McClain certainly did let his teams slide. Didn't have a winning conference record or a post season appearance in his last 4 years in Laramie. Great coach.
In his second to last year he had us in the MWC tourney final. Should have won the damn thing other than Steve Leven losing his mind and a couple of missed free throws. Williams, Ewing and Jones were a great group. One thing about McClain's teams, they played hard and competed. They certainly were not as soft as this group. I remember all the complaints that all we did was play street ball. Just happens to be the same 5 out or 4 motion offense that we play now. Burman screwed us in giving us Schroyer. McClain may not have been the best coach, but he was miles above Schroyer. If you are going to replace a coach that had the only MWC titles for UW, then maybe you should go get a proven commodity, not your buddy.
I don't get the love for the 05-06 team that a few of you guys have. I know they Had a great run in the conference tourney (and it was pretty exciting), but that team was terrible. 5-11 in MWC play, 12-17 or whatever before the MWCT. Beyond the record there was some really bad basketball being played by that team. If anyone thinks this team is inefficient on offense, they should find clips of that team. I just eat back and looked to make sure my memory wasn't deceiving me and holy cow it was even worse than I remembered. That team had an effective FG% of 45.9%. That is worse than any other team I can find, even worse than Heath's teams, and 296th in the country that year. That team turned it over on 24.5% of their possessions. That is ridiculous. There have been complaints about Edwards's teams and they have turned it over between 17 and 18% of the time the last two years. If this year's team turned it over at that rate it would be the 5th worst in the entire country.

It is revisionist history to remember that particular team as anything but awful. This is where McClain really lost the fanbase I think because that team had too much talent (Ewing, Williams, Jones, Leven, Daaron Brown when healthy, Ike Okoye as a Fr., etc.) to be that awful.
More to the point, McClain was that close to a 3rd conference title. That's more success than anyone else at UW has shown, period.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm Yep, McClain had two titles to Shyatts tourney championship. I believe he only had two losing seasons as well. If Brandon Ewing doesn't miss consecutive free throws McClain wins a tourney as well. I liked Shyatt but we was overrated, and his last season was a total waste of a top player.
LOL...McClain is NOT a good coach. His heyday at Wyoming coincided with one of the best collection of talent EVER at UW. Once the talent level dipped ....well the results speak for themselves. Look at what Shyatt was able to accomplish with far less talent. I loved the Nance, Cooke, Grabeau, team but talent-wise, the '00-'02 cowboys were wayyy more loaded.
McClain certainly did let his teams slide. Didn't have a winning conference record or a post season appearance in his last 4 years in Laramie. Great coach.
In his second to last year he had us in the MWC tourney final. Should have won the damn thing other than Steve Leven losing his mind and a couple of missed free throws. Williams, Ewing and Jones were a great group. One thing about McClain's teams, they played hard and competed. They certainly were not as soft as this group. I remember all the complaints that all we did was play street ball. Just happens to be the same 5 out or 4 motion offense that we play now. Burman screwed us in giving us Schroyer. McClain may not have been the best coach, but he was miles above Schroyer. If you are going to replace a coach that had the only MWC titles for UW, then maybe you should go get a proven commodity, not your buddy.
I don't get the love for the 05-06 team that a few of you guys have. I know they Had a great run in the conference tourney (and it was pretty exciting), but that team was terrible. 5-11 in MWC play, 12-17 or whatever before the MWCT. Beyond the record there was some really bad basketball being played by that team. If anyone thinks this team is inefficient on offense, they should find clips of that team. I just eat back and looked to make sure my memory wasn't deceiving me and holy cow it was even worse than I remembered. That team had an effective FG% of 45.9%. That is worse than any other team I can find, even worse than Heath's teams, and 296th in the country that year. That team turned it over on 24.5% of their possessions. That is ridiculous. There have been complaints about Edwards's teams and they have turned it over between 17 and 18% of the time the last two years. If this year's team turned it over at that rate it would be the 5th worst in the entire country.

It is revisionist history to remember that particular team as anything but awful. This is where McClain really lost the fanbase I think because that team had too much talent (Ewing, Williams, Jones, Leven, Daaron Brown when healthy, Ike Okoye as a Fr., etc.) to be that awful.
Agreed. That was during the couple years the tourney moved to Denver. I remember being so excited that it was moving to Denver. Would be super easy to get to from Laramie but I never went when it was there cuz our teams then were such poop. The year we made our run I went to Vegas (kinda see the irony there) instead because we had no shot. Watched the Championship game at a sports book. Fun time but that team wasn't good.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Obviously the goal is to win the conference, but calling for the coach to be fired when you're third in the conference is not a way to build a successful program and get good coaches and recruits to come here.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm Obviously the goal is to win the conference, but calling for the coach to be fired when you're third in the conference is not a way to build a successful program and get good coaches and recruits to come here.
You've been on this board long enough to know our over reactive fanbase. Today's posts will be how great of a job Edwards is doing and how he is going to lead us to the NCAA tournament this year.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 am

More to the point, McClain was that close to a 3rd conference title. That's more success than anyone else at UW has shown, period.
That team would have just been like the 2003 CSU team under Layer that won the MWCT as a 6th seed. It doesn't make Layer a good coach.

I am not really criticizing McClain (I think the 07-08 team would have been pretty decent if he had been retained. Major f-up by Burman to hire Schroyer there), but the 05-06 team is a bad example. His first 5 years were one of the best 5 year runs we have had and he deserves plenty of credit for it, but things were going downhill.

Also, in terms of McClain being our most successful coach ever I just can't agree. Brandenburg's accomplishments are far superior. He actually won 3 WAC titles, 4 NCAA games, and a deep NIT run. That doesn't even take into account the ready made team he left behind for Dees.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:57 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 am

That team would have just been like the 2003 CSU team under Layer that won the MWCT as a 6th seed. It doesn't make Layer a good coach.

I am not really criticizing McClain (I think the 07-08 team would have been pretty decent if he had been retained. Major f-up by Burman to hire Schroyer there), but the 05-06 team is a bad example. His first 5 years were one of the best 5 year runs we have had and he deserves plenty of credit for it, but things were going downhill.

Also, in terms of McClain being our most successful coach ever I just can't agree. Brandenburg's accomplishments are far superior. He actually won 3 WAC titles, 4 NCAA games, and a deep NIT run. That doesn't even take into account the ready made team he left behind for Dees.
The discussion hadn't included Brandenburg, who of course is a better coach than McClain. The 05-06 tourney run was an indicator that we were heading in a different direction. I felt like McClain had us going in the right direction once again and had stepped up his recruiting. We wasted an all-time great's last season, Brandon Ewing, at UW with the Schroyer debacle.
bullpoke
Buckaroo

Bump to the top
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

bullpoke wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 pm Bump to the top
Standard overreaction thread nothing to see here.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Look below to compare Poke coaches records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_C ... basketball
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

FWIW, these are the first two seasons of the last 10 coaches (including Edwards) at UW:

George Radovich (3 seasons)
4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

Jim Brandenburg (9 seasons)
15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
26-6 2nd WAC NCAA 1st Round
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)
19-9 3rd Mtn Div/Tied-5th WAC16 NIT 1st Round

Steve McClain (9 seasons)
18-10 Tied-4th Mtn Div / Tied-8th WAC16 NIT 2nd Round
19-12 T-4th MWC NIT 1st Round
37-22

Heath Schroyer (4 seasons)
12-18 8th MWC
19-14 6th MWC CBI 1st Round
31-32

Larry Shyatt 2.0 (5 seasons)
21-12 6th MWC CBI Quarterfinals
20-14 8th MWC CBI Quarterfinals
41-26

Allan Edwards (2nd season)
23-15 7th MWC CBI Champions
16-10 (5 games left in regular season)
39-25
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

TrackPoke wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 pm FWIW, these are the first two seasons of the last 10 coaches (including Edwards) at UW:

4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)

37-22

12-18 8th MWC
31-32

41-26

39-25

While these records are all fine to show it doesn't tell everything.

Guys like Brandenburg and Shyatt you could tell knew how to coach and would get the most out of their teams and they new x's and o's.

WIth someone like Edwards I have seen enough to know that he isn't good at all with x's and o's and Wyoming's record will either stay around .500 (only because he is a decent recruiter) or get worse. Wyoming will never win any championships with Edwards as a coach and they will always hover around .500 unless they just play a horrible schedule.

Edwards isn't a good college basketball coach. He is a decent recruiter and that is it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

seattlecowboy wrote:
TrackPoke wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 pm FWIW, these are the first two seasons of the last 10 coaches (including Edwards) at UW:

4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)

37-22

12-18 8th MWC
31-32

41-26

39-25

Guys like Brandenburg and Shyatt you could tell knew how to coach and would get the most out of their teams and they new x's and o's.

WIth someone like Edwards I have seen enough to know that he isn't good at all with x's and o's and Wyoming's record will either stay around .500 (only because he is a decent recruiter) or get worse. Wyoming will never win any championships with Edwards as a coach and they will always hover around .500 unless they just play a horrible schedule.

Edwards isn't a good college basketball coach. He is a decent recruiter and that is it.
Wyoming already won a championship with Edwards as coach. You may not consider it a championship but the CBI tourny is in fact a championship.

Now if you mean they won't win a MWC championship you might want to clarify.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm Now if you mean they won't win a MWC championship you might want to clarify.
Well the Pokes won't win the MWC with Edwards. But they will likely be a 20 game season winner and that may be enough to make Burman happy (this year they may struggle to get 20 - thanks to Edward's coaching against Denver, Northern Colorado, and CSU)
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)

37-22

12-18 8th MWC
31-32

41-26

39-25

The other thing blindly looking at records doesn't show is how tough the competition was on a given year. For instance the year the mw sent 5 to the dance versus last year with the mw only sending 1 and this year sending 1 or 2 is a big difference. Much easier to rack up 20 wins in a year with only 1 mw team going to the dance than on a year with 5 top teams. Likewise on any year where our non conference sos is 150+ it is much easier to get 20 wins vs if our non conference sos is top 100
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

While it's true he has made lots of mistakes he is a very young coach. He can recruit and you can tell he builds relationships with his players. I think anyone that is in a leadership position knows building trust with your people is a huge part of coaching them. Game management and Xs and Os must be learned through experience. I think he has done well enough too get another 2 years to see if he can improve.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm
seattlecowboy wrote:

4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)

37-22

12-18 8th MWC
31-32

41-26

39-25

Wyoming already won a championship with Edwards as coach. You may not consider it a championship but the CBI tourny is in fact a championship.

I am talking an MWC championship. As far as the CBI goes last year that was also the weakest CBI tournament I have ever seen as well. Not that the CBI is ever loaded with teams but last year was even worse. Congrats to him for winning that but I don't really consider it much of anything. Either way though I am talking a meaningful championship like a regular season or Tournament MWC title. Or making it to the NCAA. Wyoming will never do that with Edwards. I don't hate the guy by any means. Think he is a good guy or seems to be and like I said a pretty decent recruiter but I don't think he develops players very well at all. He doesn't coach x's and o's at all.

His offense consists of shooting 3's and that is about it. No defense.

It would be one thing if he showed he was improving in some area's but he hasn't even showed that.

I would love nothing more than for him to make me look stupid for saying any of this but from what he has shown so far I don't have faith in him as the head coach to lead us to a title or ever get close.

Just my opinion.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)

37-22

12-18 8th MWC
31-32

41-26

17-10 (4 games left in regular season)
39-25
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 pm
seattlecowboy wrote:

4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)

37-22

12-18 8th MWC
31-32

41-26

39-25

I am talking an MWC championship. As far as the CBI goes last year that was also the weakest CBI tournament I have ever seen as well. Not that the CBI is ever loaded with teams but last year was even worse. Congrats to him for winning that but I don't really consider it much of anything. Either way though I am talking a meaningful championship like a regular season or Tournament MWC title. Or making it to the NCAA. Wyoming will never do that with Edwards. I don't hate the guy by any means. Think he is a good guy or seems to be and like I said a pretty decent recruiter but I don't think he develops players very well at all. He doesn't coach x's and o's at all.

It would be one thing if he showed he was improving in some area's but he hasn't even showed that.

I would love nothing more than for him to make me look stupid for saying any of this but from what he has shown so far I don't have faith in him as the head coach to lead us to a title or ever get close.

Just my opinion.
I'll keep saying this until it sticks: efficiency-wise Wyoming is an above average defensive team and they were last season as well.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:41 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 pm
seattlecowboy wrote:

4-22 8th WAC
10-16 8th WAC
14-38

Don Devoe (2 seasons)
17-10 Tied-3rd WAC
12-15 7th WAC
29-25

15-12 4th WAC
18-10 4th WAC
33-22

Benny Dees (6 seasons)
14-17 7th WAC
40-23

Joby Wright (4 seasons)
14-14 8th WAC
13-15 Tied-4th WAC
27-29

Larry Shyatt (1 season)

37-22

12-18 8th MWC
31-32

41-26

39-25

Just my opinion.
I'll keep saying this until it sticks: efficiency-wise Wyoming is an above average defensive team and they were last season as well.
You can keep saying it all you want. I know last year they were above average in defensive efficiency.

He can't coach offense at all.

His x's and o's and player development are horrible.

I don't believe he is a good coach. He is a decent recruiter and that is all he is. I will keep saying that until it sticks.

Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

bump