CSU

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm Started the game with Maldonado. Go on a 9-2 run. He gets pulled for Aka Gorski and CSU goes on a 20-2 run before maldonado comes back in. Why can no one on that staff see things like that. It’s not coincidence!
AKA GORSKI "clap clap..... clap clap clap" AKA GORSKI "clap clap..... clap clap clap"

What a star

Also, from looking at the box score....... Herndon with 2 rebounds. Kelly with 6. Softest fracking player of all time. No anger at all in that dude. Sometimes you have to be mean to rebound. Herndon's usually too worried he might skin his knee or scratch his arm to get after it down low.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Obviously I didn't see the game, but at what point does the blame need to be pointed towards the coach or coaching staff for player rotations/gameplan costing us games that are very very winnable? Pretty ridiculous.
Granted, it's the players who miss the shots, and players who don't hustle, but if the coaches aren't giving the team the best chance to succeed..... what can you say?

Frustrating.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

This is a soft team. Kelley is more prone to take it inside and mix it up than Herndon or Dalton. No rebounding, no real set plays, and little coaching during the game. Why they won't use Naughton and Moemeka more is beyond me. I think Edwards is a good recruiter, but not so good as the head guy. I don't see us winning too many more this year at this rate.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Meh.... Bad teams play bad..... Welcome to the repeat of the post McClain cowboys.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 pm Meh.... Bad teams play bad..... Welcome to the repeat of the post McClain cowboys.
Yeah I do believe the CBI is a job saving tournament for Wyoming coaches these days. McClain didn't win enough to be making the NCAA's regularly and was fired, but probably would have been in the CBI each year. Now we get to hear from the AD how our basketball coaches are regularly making "post season" tournaments thanks to our new yearly post season destination of the CBI.

At this rate though we may not win enough to make that this year.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

When does spring practice start?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I'm wondering if the Pokes spend any of the practice time shooting under pressure and when they are tired. I would have them run 5 miles then do the free throw and shooting practice. Edwards run the 5 too. He's looks out of shape for his age..
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

When Gorski was in I concentrated on watching him on defense. He really stuck with his man. But too much. When CSU shot, he was still right with his man looking at him, ignoring if a rebound was coming right at him. And he was so concentrated on his man that several times a driver went within a foot of him going to the basket he didn't even notice and could have easily striped the ball. Maybe that's the way the do it in Sweden.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm When Gorski was in I concentrated on watching him on defense. He really stuck with his man. But too much. When CSU shot, he was still right with his man looking at him, ignoring if a rebound was coming right at him. And he was so concentrated on his man that several times a driver went within a foot of him going to the basket he didn't even notice and could have easily striped the ball. Maybe that's the way the do it in Sweden.
He only played 10 minutes. As much as he's been ripped on this board, you'd think he was the reason we lose. How about Kelly, Adams, and Redding? None of them can make a wide open shot and none of them are great defenders. We give up waaay too many offensive rebounds. Plus, as poop as we shoot, we have plenty of opportunities to get offensive boards, but we don't. The fact Gorski gets in the game tells you all you need to know about the talent level on this team.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm When Gorski was in I concentrated on watching him on defense. He really stuck with his man. But too much. When CSU shot, he was still right with his man looking at him, ignoring if a rebound was coming right at him. And he was so concentrated on his man that several times a driver went within a foot of him going to the basket he didn't even notice and could have easily striped the ball. Maybe that's the way the do it in Sweden.
Not sure what game you were watching. I have been doing the same thing the last few games. I have never seen someone so lost on the defensive side of the ball. There was a literally a play tonight where his defender got the ball, cut right, and Aka Gorski went left and spun a circle looking for the ball. He was out of defensive position all night. No he didn’t lose the game, but he is a liability and a large number of the baskets scored on their 20-2 run in the first (that effectively ended the game) were scored off him being in poor position. He is not even a serviceable defender. Mueller or Jones or Aberbuck or nobody would be equal defenders.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

The reason I watched Gorski is because of all the criticism of him. I only saw him get beat once by his man. He was zero on offense, but at least he tried a few times to drive. The 11 points lost on free throws was big. And the 36% FG didn't help. And the defensive coverage on CSU was way too soft compared to how CSU covered the Pokes.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Time to start looking for a new HC. Edwards is 0-3 against the Sheep.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

Let's be honest. When your starting point guard is a 5-3 white guy from Wyoming you're probably not going to be any good. And when one of your forwards is nearly seven feet tall but can only grab two rebounds in 37 minutes of play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 am Let's be honest. When your starting point guard is a 5-3 white guy from Wyoming you're probably not going to be any good. And when one of your forwards is nearly seven feet tall but can only grab two rebounds in 37 minutes of play.
Everything else is accurate, but why bring this in? dumb
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

We lose because we have few good shooters on this team. How many WIDE open threes did we miss?

The other reason we lose is because of the rebounding strategy. Believe it or not we secure an average number of defensive rebounds, but when you literally don't try for offensive rebounds you are strait up giving the other team 10+ more possession per night. It's such a wussy strategy. Not Cowboy tough. Not going for rebounds is being Cowboy pansy. I'm tired of being so soft. It's embarrassing. The biggest momentum play we had was when Dalton accidentally got an O reb off a badly missed FT and drained a three. O rebs are demoralizing for your opponent. We get demoralized a lot more than whoever we play. It shouldn't take a genius to figure this out.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

There was a nice crowd there, too. Always nice a waste an opportunity to build program momentum
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am
SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 am Let's be honest. When your starting point guard is a 5-3 white guy from Wyoming you're probably not going to be any good. And when one of your forwards is nearly seven feet tall but can only grab two rebounds in 37 minutes of play.
FIFY
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am
Just saying. Wyoming typically isn't a hot bed for division I basketball players is all.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm Started the game with Maldonado. Go on a 9-2 run. He gets pulled for Aka Gorski and CSU goes on a 20-2 run before maldonado comes back in. Why can no one on that staff see things like that. It’s not coincidence!
In an effort to be as fair as possible to a player who has given his blood sweat and tears to this organization, I have to adjust my comment. I went back through the box score this morning and realized that my above statement was in error and a slave to the moment. Aka Gorski came into the game well into the run that sealed the game in the first half. Alexander, if you read this board, my bad.

All that said, I wanted to see what kind of player efficiency we had in yesterdays game. Frankly, its no wonder we lost yesterday. 5 of the 9 players who played in yesterdays game had NEGATIVE Linear Weight PERs. Thats astounding. 5 of the 9 players who stepped foot on the court yesterday had a NEGATIVE impact on the game. I don't know what to say past that. That hurts.

18.77 - Dalton
11.58 - Herndon
02.63 - Kelley
07.44 - Maldonado
-02.65 - James
-10.00 - Adams
-01.24 - Aka Gorski
-10.15 - Moemeka
-15.68 - Redding

What these tell he is that JJ has to get his turnovers in check. Theyre killing his efficiency and really hurting the team. Aka Gorski is doing absolutely nothing. You look at this box score and he has a bunch of zeros and couples missed FGs. Free throws and Rebounding killed us yesterday. Had we hit 82% instead of 73% of our free throws we win that game.

There are real issues with this team. I can't quantify or illustrate one issue but there is an "IT" factor that this team currently is missing. I don't know if its our seniors being poor leaders, our youngsters not growing into their roles, our coaches not understanding the true strengths and weaknesses of this team, or some combo of all. I am interested in everyones thoughts on this.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

As a team, we haven't found our identity yet. Are a 3-point shooting team? Are a drive it to the hoop type team? Are we a defensive team? We have toyed with all of them, but haven't found one and made it ours. Once we decide who we are, we will develop into a team. I think that falls on the coaches and team captains. They SHOULD set the tone and establish the team culture. That's the piece that has been missing since Shyatt left.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk