@ NM

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

That loss to #217 rpi new mexico i believe is only second to our loss to #310 denver :x
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 pm Guard play outside of James:

Kelley: 25 minutes, 0 points, 1 assist, 3 turnovers
Maldonado: 23 minutes, 4 points, 4 fouls
Redding: 10 minutes, 2 points, 1 turnover
Aka Gorski: 19 minutes, 2 points, 4 fouls, 2 turnovers
Adams: 13 minutes, 8 points, 5 turnovers
Winner winner chicken dinner
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 pm Guard play outside of James:

WOW that's pretty pathetic. One bright spot JJ is a stud.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Literally played with our heads up our asses all 2nd half, sloppy, completely undisciplined.... and I'm literally at the point where I will turn the game off every time Gorski comes in the game. That turnover late was incredible. He's an absolute clown trying to play defense and handle the ball....

Granted he's not the reason we lost. Lost because we turned it over a million times. How many times did Herndon fumble away the ball in the paint? How many times did New Mexico hit the floor for loose balls while we stood around reaching and hoping someone else would get after it?

The problem was simply they got after it and we played like it was a scrimmage. About 5 minutes into the 2nd half Pokes needed a massive ass chewing, instead Edwards picks up a T bitching about calls. Sure, there were some missed calls, but that's always the case. We didn't control what we could control, which was our effort, and taking care of the basketball..... Valuing every possession...

How many times did Dalton AND Herndon fail to finish or get swatted at the rim? How many times did Adams wildly turn it over for no reason?

We couldn't get a stop to save our lives down the stretch in the 2nd half because the worst defender in D1 basketball spends the entire time getting his ankles broken or chasing his guy 3 steps behind, or spinning around in circles because he can't even find his guy that the rest of our defense gets broken down and is at a significant disadvantage.

Probably I get my hopes up too high and expect too much... but after the way they've played the first 3 conference games, against some of the premiere teams in the conference, I was pretty excited about the prospect of going 3-1 to start the conference schedule given who we'd played. New Mexico was ripe for the taking tonight being undermanned, and Pokes totally and completely poop the bed.
Outside of JJ who had a monster individual game but had zero help whatsoever.

I swear I won't watch another minute Gorski's on the floor.... Absolute worst excuse of a D1 basketball player I've ever seen.

I'll calm down and probably more reasonable thoughts will prevail, but I'm pissed right now. :tickedoff:
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

FarmerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:21 pm Literally played with our heads up our asses all 2nd half, sloppy, completely undisciplined.... and I'm literally at the point where I will turn the game off every time Gorski comes in the game. That turnover late was incredible. He's an absolute clown trying to play defense and handle the ball....

Granted he's not the reason we lost. Lost because we turned it over a million times. How many times did Herndon fumble away the ball in the paint? How many times did New Mexico hit the floor for loose balls while we stood around reaching and hoping someone else would get after it?

The problem was simply they got after it and we played like it was a scrimmage. About 5 minutes into the 2nd half Pokes needed a massive ass chewing, instead Edwards picks up a T bitching about calls. Sure, there were some missed calls, but that's always the case. We didn't control what we could control, which was our effort, and taking care of the basketball..... Valuing every possession...

How many times did Dalton AND Herndon fail to finish or get swatted at the rim? How many times did Adams wildly turn it over for no reason?

We couldn't get a stop to save our lives down the stretch in the 2nd half because the worst defender in D1 basketball spends the entire time getting his ankles broken or chasing his guy 3 steps behind, or spinning around in circles because he can't even find his guy that the rest of our defense gets broken down and is at a significant disadvantage.

Probably I get my hopes up too high and expect too much... but after the way they've played the first 3 conference games, against some of the premiere teams in the conference, I was pretty excited about the prospect of going 3-1 to start the conference schedule given who we'd played. New Mexico was ripe for the taking tonight being undermanned, and Pokes totally and completely poop the bed.

I swear I won't watch another minute Gorski's on the floor.... Absolute worst excuse of a D1 basketball player I've ever seen.

I'll calm down and probably more reasonable thoughts will prevail, but I'm pissed right now. :tickedoff:
A lot of good stuff in this post. I'm kind of glad I didn't get to watch the last three games to get some false hope that this team or staff is capable of finishing towards the top of the league. UNM had Wyoming playing their style at their tempo all game long and the staff did nothing about it.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

FarmerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:21 pm Literally played with our heads up our asses all 2nd half, sloppy, completely undisciplined.... and I'm literally at the point where I will turn the game off every time Gorski comes in the game. That turnover late was incredible. He's an absolute clown trying to play defense and handle the ball....

I think I agree with every single word. Playing terrible is one thing but the piss poor effort is troubling. Minus JJ of course.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

We're going to finish the conference undefeated at home and winless on the road.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 pm We're going to finish the conference undefeated at home and winless on the road.
Haha it does feel that way... I wish I knew why we're such a different team on the road.

Only thing that i do know, is every single time Aka Gorski play's big minutes, we play terrible. He must have dirt on Edwards.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Really pathetic second half. Nobody but JJ played well. I'm not claiming he is a good player but I don't think Aka is the person we should be looking at first to blame. He wouldn't have played as much the second half if Lou hadn't sucked so bad that AE had no choice but to pull him. 5 turnovers in 13 minutes(and that is including the final couple minutes of the game where he came back in and I don't remember him turning it over so really more like 5 turnovers in 10 minutes). Aka took 2 shots and made one and missed one. He didn't do much of anything positive but compared to other games where he jacks up 6 3's and maybe makes one it is an improvement.

As others have pointed out our guard play was atrocious and at half time NM made adjustments and didn't press us quite as hard and we didn't have any answers. I liked us taking it to the rim this game but we couldn't finish. Dalton needs to get his head out on the road. I would have liked to see more Hunter when things were falling apart. He seems to have a calming effect on our team(I don't think he was in when things were at their worst in the second half but could be wrong).

Need to win at Utah state now after beating CSU of course. I had us at 2-1 in the next three games(including last night) of we want to compete in the league. Thought NM was the better shot for a win but we are capable of going into USU and getting the win but need to figure out how to bring the intensity on the road.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 am Really pathetic second half. Nobody but JJ played well. I'm not claiming he is a good player but I don't think Aka is the person we should be looking at first to blame. He wouldn't have played as much the second half if Lou hadn't sucked so bad that AE had no choice but to pull him. 5 turnovers in 13 minutes(and that is including the final couple minutes of the game where he came back in and I don't remember him turning it over so really more like 5 turnovers in 10 minutes). Aka took 2 shots and made one and missed one. He didn't do much of anything positive but compared to other games where he jacks up 6 3's and maybe makes one it is an improvement.

As others have pointed out our guard play was atrocious and at half time NM made adjustments and didn't press us quite as hard and we didn't have any answers. I liked us taking it to the rim this game but we couldn't finish. Dalton needs to get his head out on the road. I would have liked to see more Hunter when things were falling apart. He seems to have a calming effect on our team(I don't think he was in when things were at their worst in the second half but could be wrong).

Need to win at Utah state now after beating CSU of course. I had us at 2-1 in the next three games(including last night) of we want to compete in the league. Thought NM was the better shot for a win but we are capable of going into USU and getting the win but need to figure out how to bring the intensity on the road.
I actually thought the first half of the game last night was one of the better road halves we've played all year. We were attacking the rim, we were hitting jumpers, we were breaking their press and getting easy shots, and we were playing D and rebounding good enough. The second half was straight atrocious.

And time has not yet healed my wound. Last night was as bad a loss we've had this year and maybe as bad a loss we've had in Edwards tenure. That was the first time in my life I have watched a game in the Pit and felt like we gave one away. That place is so brutal to play and last night the Pokes squandered a huge oppoortunity to further solidify themselves as a real threat in this league. Maybe the truth is were just not quite good enough to contend. I don't know.

What I do know is that Allen Edwards philosophy on plays, sets, and personnel is absolutely mind boggling. I get riding the hot hand but he hasn't selected core group that he wants to default to. Pick a group of starters, and stick with them. Let the guys get into a routine and know what to expect. Let the guys coming off the bench adapt to that role and grow in it. Constantly starting bench players and benching startering players is confusing. Start your best 5, and supplement from there. Its not rocket science.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Puzzles me why Kelly continually gets a pass. Must be because he is a Wyoming kid - and is a Wyoming thing. 25 minutes, no points? And 3 TO's to only 1 assist? Sure everybody has a bad game now and then, but that stat line right there, tells the story about how lacking this team is for a real PG (Mack).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 am

Puzzles me why Kelly continually gets a pass. Must be because he is a Wyoming kid - and is a Wyoming thing. 25 minutes, no points? And 3 TO's to only 1 assist? Sure everybody has a bad game now and then, but that stat line right there, tells the story about how lacking this team is for a real PG (Mack).
MY tune has changed quite a bit on Kelley this season. Early on I thought he had NO place on this team. He was a smaller version of Aka Gorski in my opinion. But he has surprised me this year. No, he will never be the best player on the court. But he is a solid PG. He has come up HUGE for us in a number of games. He may have won us the Boise State game.

But your comment on our lack of a TRUE PG rings true. I thought Redding would help but he's slowly regressed to the point now I cringe when I see him check in. We really need a stud PG who can run the team, take care of the ball, score some, and play defense.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 am

MY tune has changed quite a bit on Kelley this season. Early on I thought he had NO place on this team. He was a smaller version of Aka Gorski in my opinion. But he has surprised me this year. No, he will never be the best player on the court. But he is a solid PG. He has come up HUGE for us in a number of games. He may have won us the Boise State game.

But your comment on our lack of a TRUE PG rings true. I thought Redding would help but he's slowly regressed to the point now I cringe when I see him check in. We really need a stud PG who can run the team, take care of the ball, score some, and play defense.
My tune started to change a bit as well - the kid hussles his ass off, and at times, plays fairly solid defense (when we aren't in zone at least).

But it seems he has an awful game every 1 in 3. Remembering (as you mentioned), he also got a pass for going 1 for 6 from the field against BSU, becuase the 1 that he did make, was a game-winner (basically).

Agree also on Redding, oh my is he awful. I think Adams is getting the shaft to be honest, if he was getting Kelly minutes, I believe the results (and stat line) would be superior. Not necessarily world beating, but superior. When he goes in, the pressure is on - and as such, he presses to hard, and commits stupid fouls and stupid turnovers.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wyoair
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am

My tune started to change a bit as well - the kid hussles his ass off, and at times, plays fairly solid defense (when we aren't in zone at least).

But it seems he has an awful game every 1 in 3. Remembering (as you mentioned), he also got a pass for going 1 for 6 from the field against BSU, becuase the 1 that he did make, was a game-winner (basically).

Agree also on Redding, oh my is he awful. I think Adams is getting the shaft to be honest, if he was getting Kelly minutes, I believe the results (and stat line) would be superior. Not necessarily world beating, but superior. When he goes in, the pressure is on - and as such, he presses to hard, and commits stupid fouls and stupid turnovers.
Definitely agree. Like you and It Sucks pointed out that the lineup and go to players (save for Dalton and Herndon) are never consistent and thus players do not every have a rhythm. I think if Adams were to consistently start then his play would eventually even out because like you mentioned he wouldn't feel the need to press and the game would come to him, not the other way around. I don't have a thing against Kelly but I think he would be a very good complimentary player to Adams given the roles were switched.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I think this was an Edwards loss. He got out coached the second half and couldn't adjust to the press. Also his personnel was flawed. No Naughton to counter their big? Mistake. James and Adams most productive scorers (per minute) but Adams only got 13 minutes. Kelly and Gorski the worst yet played a lot. Dalton seems to alternate between great games and lousy ones.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am

And those two free throws to ice it after Adams missed two. And he made some really great plays during the run to cut and take the lead. That ridiculous pass to Herndon immediately comes to mind. All in all, agree with you on your points.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am I think this was an Edwards loss. He got out coached the second half and couldn't adjust to the press. Also his personnel was flawed. No Naughton to counter their big? Mistake. James and Adams most productive scorers (per minute) but Adams only got 13 minutes. Kelly and Gorski the worst yet played a lot. Dalton seems to alternate between great games and lousy ones.
Hes a young coach. I personally think he gets outcoached a lot. I honestly don't know if he was the right hire for this team. But, I don't think any of the Shyatt holdovers would have been good hires. There is something to be said about going to a nobody team, in a nobody conference, in a nobody division and building them up, and then moving up. All the Shyatt holdovers would have been first time coaches and whether the MW is a tough conference or not, this level of coaching is not like coaching a team at a lower level. Sometimes schemes and plans look great on paper but fail in game. Good, experienced coaches know how to roll with the punches and adapt. Right now, Edwards struggles with adapting and coming off an idea that he has predestined to be successful. I think its his biggest weakness. You are correct. He got flat out outcoached last night. And to top it off, let his emotions impact the game. It was a bad night.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am Agree also on Redding, oh my is he awful. I think Adams is getting the shaft to be honest, if he was getting Kelly minutes, I believe the results (and stat line) would be superior. Not necessarily world beating, but superior. When he goes in, the pressure is on - and as such, he presses to hard, and commits stupid fouls and stupid turnovers.
Agree on this. I think the complaints we have about Adams will be greatly reduced if he was in the starting lineup or at least not always put in the game with the team losing, Gorski on the wing, and Kelly "running" the point. His turnovers are frustrating, but he really has no other option than to put his head down and drive at the rim at 100 mph. Put him in a lineup with James and Dalton and/or Herndon and I think he'd be a very solid team player.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am I think this was an Edwards loss. He got out coached the second half and couldn't adjust to the press. Also his personnel was flawed. No Naughton to counter their big? Mistake. James and Adams most productive scorers (per minute) but Adams only got 13 minutes. Kelly and Gorski the worst yet played a lot. Dalton seems to alternate between great games and lousy ones.
I agree about Edwards not adjusting at half when NM made adjustments to the defense.

Naughton was out with back injury like he was last game. Adams only played 13 minutes this game cuz he could help turning the ball over. He played horrible and got pulled. If he hadn't turned the ball over so much he would have played more and Gorski wouldn't have gotten the minutes. I agree he needs to play a lot but when he is having a game like last night he deserves to be sat on the bench.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm
McPeachy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am Agree also on Redding, oh my is he awful. I think Adams is getting the shaft to be honest, if he was getting Kelly minutes, I believe the results (and stat line) would be superior. Not necessarily world beating, but superior. When he goes in, the pressure is on - and as such, he presses to hard, and commits stupid fouls and stupid turnovers.
Agree on this. I think the complaints we have about Adams will be greatly reduced if he was in the starting lineup or at least not always put in the game with the team losing, Gorski on the wing, and Kelly "running" the point. His turnovers are frustrating, but he really has no other option than to put his head down and drive at the rim at 100 mph. Put him in a lineup with James and Dalton and/or Herndon and I think he'd be a very solid team player.
I really like Adams coming off the bench. He provides us with some energy off the bench. I like the starting line-up of Kelly, Hunter, James, Dalton, Herndon with Adams being the 6th man.