Northern Colorado

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

WilyWapiti wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am Our defense was simply atrocious. The first five 3's in a row that we gave up were virtually uncontested.

I'm not sure what the philosophy would be called, but it looks like "Give the shooter a huge cushion, then run like crazy to try and contest the shot."

When our defender blows by the pump fake, the next guy is even more wide open, then the progression continues until the last shooter is by himself.

The UNC shooters typically didn't have a defender within 10 feet when then caught the ball, and inevitably the defender would over-pursue and take themselves out of the play.

Safe to say the the Shyatt defensive DNA is totally gone at this point.

At least the offense looked somewhat functional last night, but our conditioning is still very suspect. We gassed in the last 5 minutes.

ww
It's tough to play good perimeter D with guys like Gorski and Dalton out there on the perimeter. They have major trouble staying in front of their man.

I've seen us play zone and man and teams can seem to get wide open looks from three vs either. We get good looks at threes too it's just we don't have good shooters
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

WilyWapiti wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am Our defense was simply atrocious. The first five 3's in a row that we gave up were virtually uncontested.

I'm not sure what the philosophy would be called, but it looks like "Give the shooter a huge cushion, then run like crazy to try and contest the shot."

When our defender blows by the pump fake, the next guy is even more wide open, then the progression continues until the last shooter is by himself.

The UNC shooters typically didn't have a defender within 10 feet when then caught the ball, and inevitably the defender would over-pursue and take themselves out of the play.

At least the offense looked somewhat functional last night, but our conditioning is still very suspect. We gassed in the last 5 minutes.

ww
I seriously wonder who is going to take "high altitude training" seriously when our basketball team has looked absolutely out of shape for the past few years. Who is in charge of conditioning for the basketball program? Whomever it is needs to figure out that 7220' above sea level should favor the home team, not the visitors. Are the remaining members of the High Five still hitting the bong, or is conditioning just someting they don't worry about? :tickedoff:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

What was the fiasco on this thread earlier not related to this game, then dino's name got brought up, didn't quite understand that?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm What was the fiasco on this thread earlier not related to this game, then dino's name got brought up, didn't quite understand that?
There a number of incredibly racist comments made by brand new trolling poster. It was ugly. Someone posited that it could have been Dino.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

CowboyNV wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 pm

ww
I seriously wonder who is going to take "high altitude training" seriously when our basketball team has looked absolutely out of shape for the past few years. Who is in charge of conditioning for the basketball program? Whomever it is needs to figure out that 7220' above sea level should favor the home team, not the visitors. Are the remaining members of the High Five still hitting the bong, or is conditioning just someting they don't worry about? :tickedoff:
I've seen you or some other poster discuss this before. Last night, after only 6 minutes of the first half, I saw Hayden Dalton with his hands on his waist and gasping for air while all the UNC players weren't even breathing hard. I saw other Cowboys look winded as well. I can only conclude this team has no conditioning program at all. And to the poster who wonders why everyone shoots 3's great against us, I can only tell you it ain't luck. We don't contest outside shots at all. And UNC does have some decent guards but that's it. They would be last in our conference (or close to it).

Justin James is our only really quality player. Herndon is sometimes and Dalton plays well about once every 5 games. Cody Kelly and Gorski would never see the floor for most teams in this conference and they start for us. That doesn't mean we can't improve. But I think we are in for a rude awakening once MW play starts.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:01 pm

ww
I've seen you or some other poster discuss this before. Last night, after only 6 minutes of the first half, I saw Hayden Dalton with his hands on his waist and gasping for air while all the UNC players weren't even breathing hard. I saw other Cowboys look winded as well. I can only conclude this team has no conditioning program at all. And to the poster who wonders why everyone shoots 3's great against us, I can only tell you it ain't luck. We don't contest outside shots at all. And UNC does have some decent guards but that's it. They would be last in our conference (or close to it).

Justin James is our only really quality player. Herndon is sometimes and Dalton plays well about once every 5 games. Cody Kelly and Gorski would never see the floor for most teams in this conferenceand they start for us. That doesn't mean we can't improve. But I think we are in for a rude awakening once MW play starts.
SDSU in 1 week to see where we are at conference wise. It would appear that Watsabaugh needs to be replaced like 2 seasons ago.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wyoair wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:07 pm

ww

Justin James is our only really quality player. Herndon is sometimes and Dalton plays well about once every 5 games. Cody Kelly and Gorski would never see the floor for most teams in this conferenceand they start for us. That doesn't mean we can't improve. But I think we are in for a rude awakening once MW play starts.
SDSU in 1 week to see where we are at conference wise. It would appear that Watsabaugh needs to be replaced like 2 seasons ago.
I have been saying this since Shyatt was here. Why in the hell don't we run the wheels off of other teams? Well its because we don't have the conditioning program to do it. Watsabaugh needs to go if he can't see we have a HUGE advantage that we are completely ignoring....
wyoair
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:12 pm

ww

I have been saying this since Shyatt was here. Why in the hell don't we run the wheels off of other teams? Well its because we don't have the conditioning program to do it. Watsabaugh needs to go if he can't see we have a HUGE advantage that we are completely ignoring....
What is also puzzling is that he played Bball at UW and has his BS and MS in kinesiology. If he can't see that other teams run us out of our gym, then the only thing I can say is bring someone else who know altitude conditioning and fast, up tempo offense conditioning. I'm really curious as to what their off-season and pre-season conditioning routine is like. I'm sure they do not go as hard during the season unless someone can tell me different.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

ok thanx for that clarification, maybe it is Dino in congnito, as for the conditioning, we should NEVER lose in Laramie at anything!!! we don't use 7220 to any of our advantage anymore, sad, sad, sad
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm What was the fiasco on this thread earlier not related to this game, then dino's name got brought up, didn't quite understand that?
Last week the Eastern Washington thread was hijacked by the same guy. A moderator or Titleist deleted all the posts he made. He keeps throwing out racist and homophobic poop about the players and coaching staff. With the timing, I suspect CJ or Dino could be behind it since they're both quite salty towards this board.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

ww

Back in the 80's, a trainer once told me our elevation actually isn't a big advantage.
According to her, approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of our athletes from below about 5,000 feet will never physiologically acclimate to our elevation, no matter how much conditioning at altitude they receive.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:52 am

ww

Back in the 80's, a trainer once told me our elevation actually isn't a big advantage.
According to her, approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of our athletes from below about 5,000 feet will never physiologically acclimate to our elevation, no matter how much conditioning at altitude they receive.
Thats very interesting. It is still is a terrible reflection on our staff when teams from lower elevations come into our gym and run us out of it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:52 amBack in the 80's, a trainer once told me our elevation actually isn't a big advantage.
I can tell you from first hand experience, the trainer in the 80's that told you that, didn't know what the f-word she was talking about. And that stat she threw out is complete poop. Then again, it was the 80's, and things have changed a little since then. LOL!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:50 am
Wyovanian wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:52 amBack in the 80's, a trainer once told me our elevation actually isn't a big advantage.
I can tell you from first hand experience, the trainer in the 80's that told you that, didn't know what the f-word she was talking about. And that stat she threw out is complete poop. Then again, it was the 80's, and things have changed a little since then. LOL!
Agreed. That's nonsense. Runners go from sea level to altitude just to train. The improvement can be dramatic in just a few months. Performance is improved at altitude and sea level. Guys like Dalton and Herndon grew up in Colorado at mile high altitude anyway. There's just no excuse for this team's conditioning.