Hey CowboyJunky....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

You were right, I was wrong. Cody Kelley is earning his minutes and we may see him in crunch time more and more.

Not sold on our overall PG capabilities, but Kelley is at least equal to Redding in terms of impact on the floor.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

He does seem to be playing better this year. He's not playing bad for a sophomore.

I would rather be wrong and have an offense that wasn't predicated on shooting the three ball. I'm still not sold on our system being a good fit for our personnel.

Hopefully we'll figure out a way to outscore people when we're not shooting the ball very well or we might end up taking more bad losses like DU.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

Kelly has played well. He's a pretty good defender. He can stay in front of his man well
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

this team is learning each and every game and it's gonna benefit us come conference time, when it really matters!!! That's what's cool about having a team of veterans, hopefully they remember the conference game wars!!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:40 pm He does seem to be playing better this year. He's not playing bad for a sophomore.

I would rather be wrong and have an offense that wasn't predicated on shooting the three ball. I'm still not sold on our system being a good fit for our personnel.

Hopefully we'll figure out a way to outscore people when we're not shooting the ball very well or we might end up taking more bad losses like DU.
I understand totally. We are difficult to watch at times. Personally, I preferred Shyatt's teams, even though they played very deliberate and at times passed up good shots. The current style really seems too easy to defend at times.

If there is one change I would like to see, it would be to attack the offensive glass. We aren't a good rebounding team on defense either, but with the higher tempo, I just don't see the benefit in avoiding offensive rebounds to get back on D.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:40 pm He does seem to be playing better this year. He's not playing bad for a sophomore.

I understand totally. We are difficult to watch at times. Personally, I preferred Shyatt's teams, even though they played very deliberate and at times passed up good shots. The current style really seems too easy to defend at times.

If there is one change I would like to see, it would be to attack the offensive glass. We aren't a good rebounding team on defense either, but with the higher tempo, I just don't see the benefit in avoiding offensive rebounds to get back on D.
+1

I would love to see more offensive rebounding. We really let the other team off the hook when they know they don't even have to try hard for rebounds because they will basically be uncontested. It's just a bad strategy imo. That's why guards are called "guards" because they are supposed to get back while the forwards get rebounds.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 am

Yep. We have no business getting out rebounded by 20 to DU when we have 4 guys in the rotation over 6'8" and 2 other guys that are 6'7".

I know they coach our players to shoot if they're balanced and open. I would like to see that change. Sometimes, especially when you're not shooting well, it's worth it to pass the ball around and look for a better shot.

The thing that pissed me off the most about DU, aside from the rebounding, was our poor shot selection. If you're shooting 20 percent from the three point line, taking a three point shot 7 seconds into the shot clock, isn't the best shot.

Sometimes we need to run clock and look for a lay-up, or try to get in the lane and get fouled. Either way, hoisting up a three ball with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, is a recipe for bad loss when your not shooting well, regardless of whether or not our guys are open and balanced.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

And Cody Kelley has his worst half of basketball since the exhibition game vs. South Carolina. It's obvious, he struggles vs. teams with a lot of athletic guards.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm And Cody Kelley has his worst half of basketball since the exhibition game vs. South Carolina. It's obvious, he struggles vs. teams with a lot of athletic guards.
That's true, but Redding is just really a non-factor right now. Need to get more out of the PG spot.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

goes to show ya Wyoming native players not quite as athletic as others around the country, but we all know that for the most part, very few over past years that can stack up to other recruits across the country, but we are Wyoming, lol
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:55 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm And Cody Kelley has his worst half of basketball since the exhibition game vs. South Carolina. It's obvious, he struggles vs. teams with a lot of athletic guards.
That's true, but Redding is just really a non-factor right now. Need to get more out of the PG spot.
Agreed. It's too bad Austin Conway turned football. On tape he had an elite, point guard, skill set with handles, quickness, vision, and an extremely high IQ.

It's not like Shy was bringing in great points either. Grabau was very good, but he wasn't athletic. We haven't landed and developed a very good point guard in a long ass time.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 119 times

NowherePoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:05 pm You were right, I was wrong. Cody Kelley is earning his minutes and we may see him in crunch time more and more.
We are in trouble. No way we compete for a MWC championship - regular season or tournament, with Kelley (or Redding for that matter) running the point. Adams? Doubtful. James? Maybe.

We have some issues that I didn't expect to see this year.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Newsflash: MWC basketball isn't near as good as SEC basketball....
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Best point guard wyoming's had in ages threw away a basketball career so he could run jet sweeps and return punts on the football team.

Edit: Didn't see your comment Junky. Agreed, it's been a sore spot for me since he switched sports. Obviously it doesn't matter at this point and "coulda shoulda woulda" etc, but I definitely wonder how much of an impact he would've made at a position the pokes have desperately needed production from.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 am
NowherePoke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:05 pm You were right, I was wrong. Cody Kelley is earning his minutes and we may see him in crunch time more and more.
We are in trouble. No way we compete for a MWC championship - regular season or tournament, with Kelley (or Redding for that matter) running the point. Adams? Doubtful. James? Maybe.

Oh, there is no way in hell we compete for a title this year. PG is the weakest spot, but even if that position was improved, this isn't a MWC title type team for a variety of reasons.

Most of our issues are the same as last year. No post presence (on either side of the court), getting dominated on the glass, lack of crisp offensive execution, poor shot selection, etc. Nothing has changed except instead of Lieberman, we have Redding/Kelley. It has been a wash basically.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:55 am
Agreed. It's too bad Austin Conway turned football. On tape he had an elite, point guard, skill set with handles, quickness, vision, and an extremely high IQ.

It's not like Shy was bringing in great points either. Grabau was very good, but he wasn't athletic. We haven't landed and developed a very good point guard in a long ass time.

I have argued before, and will continue to, that Adams was really the PG on the 14-15 team. At minimum, it was a 50/50 split.

Grabau would be better on this team their either Redding or Kelley though. Better shooter and decision maker.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

FarmerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:05 am Best point guard wyoming's had in ages threw away a basketball career so he could run jet sweeps and return punts on the football team.

Edit: Didn't see your comment Junky. Agreed, it's been a sore spot for me since he switched sports. Obviously it doesn't matter at this point and "coulda shoulda woulda" etc, but I definitely wonder how much of an impact he would've made at a position the pokes have desperately needed production from.

Why do we think he was so good at PG? He redshirted his first year on a bad team that could have used a talented guard. He is about the same size as Cody Kelley and coming out of HS was not known as a good shooter.

I am not saying he couldn't have been a good PG. He certainly is athletic, and I am sure he was a pretty good ball handler, but I suspect he would have been more Jaydee Luster than Brandon Ewing. There was probably a reason he was a more heralded football recruit than a basketball recruit.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I think we can all agree: we need to recruit a point guard.

I always forget Adams, when I mention points, because he was a 2 guard playing point, but he was definitely the best point guard we've had in years, although I doubt that he was recruited to play point at Wyoming. He just ended up there because he was electrifying badassedness.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 119 times

NowherePoke wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Oh, there is no way in hell we compete for a title this year. PG is the weakest spot, but even if that position was improved, this isn't a MWC title type team for a variety of reasons.

Most of our issues are the same as last year. No post presence (on either side of the court), getting dominated on the glass, lack of crisp offensive execution, poor shot selection, etc. Nothing has changed except instead of Lieberman, we have Redding/Kelley. It has been a wash basically.
We are not good. 12/27 will be interesting, and telling.

Question for you NowherePoke, do you think we have too many bodies...too many shared minutes?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 am
NowherePoke wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm

We are not good. 12/27 will be interesting, and telling.

Question for you NowherePoke, do you think we have too many bodies...too many shared minutes?
It's a really good question that I have wondered about myself. Most of the good teams we have had, and most good MWC teams, have a well defined tight rotation of about 8 guys (we had 7 basically on the 14-15 team). It can seem to be a challenge to be in the same page with so many different rotations.

Having said that, I kind of understand Edwards dilemma. He has a roster with a lot of good, not great, players with different skill sets.

The front court is the most interesting. In Dalton and Herndon, we have two bigs that pose real challenges for defenses. Both are threats as perimeter shooters in transistion and early offense when opposing bigs aren't used to finding shooters quickly and both have the ability (although not often the desire) to score in the paint as well. However, we also have Naughton, a true old school big man that is an efficient scorer with his back to the basket, and Moemeka, a big time athlete that can add rebounding and finishing at the rim that we sorely lack. There are trade offs in all directions.