Out Rebounded 27-47 by Denver

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

What a joke. This is inexcusable by everyone. Players need to have some pride and coaches need to actually put people close to the dang rim to rebound. EMBARRASSING. PATHETIC
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Really ugly
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Very pathetic effort and even more pathetic coaching and basketball common sense. We are GIVING the other team twice as many possessions by not attempting to rebound. Which is asinine in an of itself, but when we are shooting at a pathetic rate you are guaranteeing a loss.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

But you have to admit, the Pokes are very fast at one phase - getting to the other side of the court as soon as the ball leaves the hands of a Poke taking a shot.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am But you have to admit, the Pokes are very fast at one phase - getting to the other side of the court as soon as the ball leaves the hands of a Poke taking a shot.
Haha we are probably #1 in the country in the Offensive Zone Vacating Once Shot is Taken stat. I am sure of it.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH
UW lost to DU again :thefan: This is always a miserable loss. :brick:
Getting trounced on the boards like that is embarrassing as hell. I didn't see the game but how come just from reading the message board I feel like I've already seen this game? Visions of seasons past? Sounds like we're playing the everybody shoots the 3 ball game with nobody in the paint game. Never liked that style and this team is long enough to contest the paint. This is a worrisome loss. Damn I thought this team wasn't gonna drop another non conference game...... :(
Riding High!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I only caught a few score blips but knew that Magness Arena is a play we hardly ever win at, so I didn't bother, kinda glad I didn't, that's pathetic to get out boarded by 20, smh yet again, will this be win all at home and still struggle on the road, come on Veteran team let's win on the road too
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Not putting Naughton against their big guy, who was pushing the skinnies (Dalton and Herndon) around at will, I think contributed a lot to them getting inside and also getting the rebounds.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm Not putting Naughton against their big guy, who was pushing the skinnies (Dalton and Herndon) around at will, I think contributed a lot to them getting inside and also getting the rebounds.
I also thought we should have given him a shot in there but NAughton hasn't been very impressive in any of his minutes so they probably don't have enough faith in him to put him in the game.

No trying to to claim there wasn't a rebounding issue but as I mentioned in another thread, between the number of turnovers they had and the amount of shots we missed they had many more opportunities to get Dreb than we did which contributed to the rebounding discrepancy. We had the same number of offensive rebounds that they did(they had fewer misses than us so they had a better offreb %). I don't think the rebounding numbers are quite as bad as they look(but the aren't good)
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm Not putting Naughton against their big guy, who was pushing the skinnies (Dalton and Herndon) around at will, I think contributed a lot to them getting inside and also getting the rebounds.
I also thought we should have given him a shot in there but NAughton hasn't been very impressive in any of his minutes so they probably don't have enough faith in him to put him in the game.

No trying to to claim there wasn't a rebounding issue but as I mentioned in another thread, between the number of turnovers they had and the amount of shots we missed they had many more opportunities to get Dreb than we did which contributed to the rebounding discrepancy. We had the same number of offensive rebounds that they did(they had fewer misses than us so they had a better offreb %). I don't think the rebounding numbers are quite as bad as they look(but the aren't good)
Our low OReb% is of course due largely to our strategic aversion to pursuing them. Instead, we try to get back and prevent transition buckets.

That's good in theory, but if you don't defend in the half court anyway (DU had a True Shooting Percentage of 67% last night), I can't really understand the decision.

If we are going to go with the "defense is optional" strategy, we should try to maximize our offensive opportunities.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 pm
TSpoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Our low OReb% is of course due largely to our strategic aversion to pursuing them. Instead, we try to get back and prevent transition buckets.

That's good in theory, but if you don't defend in the half court anyway (DU had a True Shooting Percentage of 67% last night), I can't really understand the decision.

If we are going to go with the "defense is optional" strategy, we should try to maximize our offensive opportunities.
Agreed. DU played a great offensive game and us making sure to get back on defense didn't seem to effect much.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

One team shot well, one didn’t. That’s about it. We didn’t get a lot of D rebounds because they didn’t miss a lot. They got a lot of rebounds because we missed everything. That skews the numbers a lot. You always get more D rebounds than O. I don’t think the point differential is due to rebounding stats as much as it is due to really really poor shooting.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

The one thing that stands out to me is we played poor defense. They shot a high percentage because of our poor defense. Playing good hard defense IMO helps your own offense.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.