Has anyone else been watching our fellow MWC basketball teams?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Nevada is still the team to beat. With the Martin brothers, Caroline, and a lot of good athletes, they're still favored to win the title. You have to beat the champ to be the champ.

UNLV looks impressive to me. They've been playing cream puffs, but they're demolishing the cream puffs. It will be more telling to see them against someone good, but they've got talent, length, and coaching this year. They look like a contender to me.

I haven't seen Fresno play yet.

I haven't seen UNM play yet.

SDSU looked really bad at ASU. They got pounded by the Sun Devils. It's like a Steve Fisher team that can't play defense. They don't look legit to me yet.

Boise is a steaming pile without Hutch, and don't look all that great with him in the line-up. They'll beat some people but don't have the depth to be contend this year.

CSU is about to get the trifecta-sweep this year with a football and basketball sweep in the same season. They don't look tough, disciplined, or well coached enough to contend.

I haven't seen Utah State, AFA, SJSU,

Nevada, UNLV, and I'm holding out judgement on Fresno until I see them play, look like the teams to beat in the MWC.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Haven't watched much, but the good teams look like us, Nevada and UNLV (who, as you said, hasn't played anyone yet).

I think Boise, SDSU and Fresno are a step below and then everyone else is a step lower.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I have watched a few games. Nevada is very good, clearly the team to beat. UNLV looks exciting as well.

I actually think UNM will be better than most think, despite the fact that the game I saw (NMSU) they lost pretty handily. Weir has them playing with a lot of energy and extending their defense full court. They are still trying to gel and having that many new pieces takes time, but they will be better than projected.

I watched parts of USU/Gonzaga. USU's performance YTD is not great, but they played pretty well in that game even without their top player (McEwen).

SDSU will be a Top 3/4 team regardless of the ASU debacle.

Leon Rice brought in some nice grad transfers and they will be pretty solid (assuming Hutchison is ok, not sure what his injury was). I watched them play against Iowa St. for a while and they looked decent once they got used to playing without Hutchison.

I haven't seen CSU, AFA, or Fresno.

SJSU sucks..again.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am Haven't watched much, but the good teams look like us, Nevada and UNLV (who, as you said, hasn't played anyone yet).

I think Boise, SDSU and Fresno are a step below and then everyone else is a step lower.
I agree. I think this Wyoming team should be right there at the end of the year vying for a championship. I think the big thing is we have to take care of home court come conference. If we can go undefeated at home and then steal some on the road we will be in a great position. That being said, I can't remember the last time we went undefeated at home in my 31 years. If we ever have in that time....
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

haven't seen much, sorry.....see them all soon enough
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am Haven't watched much, but the good teams look like us, Nevada and UNLV (who, as you said, hasn't played anyone yet).

I agree. I think this Wyoming team should be right there at the end of the year vying for a championship. I think the big thing is we have to take care of home court come conference. If we can go undefeated at home and then steal some on the road we will be in a great position. That being said, I can't remember the last time we went undefeated at home in my 31 years. If we ever have in that time....
Yeah, I don't think we have gone undefeated at home, but we came really close with the Bailey/Davis teams in 00-01 and 01-02. I think those teams went 12-1 and 14-1 at home respectively and I believe the one loss in the 00-01 season was the Dalron Johnson game (UNLV player hitting half court buzzer beater to beat us by 2).
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am I have watched a few games. Nevada is very good, clearly the team to beat. UNLV looks exciting as well.

I actually think UNM will be better than most think, despite the fact that the game I saw (NMSU) they lost pretty handily. Weir has them playing with a lot of energy and extending their defense full court. They are still trying to gel and having that many new pieces takes time, but they will be better than projected.

I watched parts of USU/Gonzaga. USU's performance YTD is not great, but they played pretty well in that game even without their top player (McEwen).

Leon Rice brought in some nice grad transfers and they will be pretty solid (assuming Hutchison is ok, not sure what his injury was). I watched them play against Iowa St. for a while and they looked decent once they got used to playing without Hutchison.

SJSU sucks..again.
Have you seen any Fresno?

I feel pretty confident that USU, SJSU, AFA, and CSU suck.

UNM, Boise, and SDSU have something to prove. I'm about to write them off as serious challengers for the title.

Nevada and UNLV look real deal to me.

I'm just wondering if it's a three horse race or a four horse race, and Fresno is the only possible contender I've yet to watch.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am I have watched a few games. Nevada is very good, clearly the team to beat. UNLV looks exciting as well.

SJSU sucks..again.

UNM, Boise, and SDSU have something to prove. I'm about to write them off as serious challengers for the title.

I'm just wondering if it's a three horse race or a four horse race, and Fresno is the only possible contender I've yet to watch.
I haven't seen Fresno yet. They lost to Evansville at home last night. Evansville is good, but that is standard Rodney Terry. Fresno always does better in conference than in OOC. Way to screw the conference RPI Bulldogs.

On paper they are a top 3/4 team in the league though.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Fresno lets down the conference, yet again. NM is a steaming pile this year.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am Fresno lets down the conference, yet again. NM is a steaming pile this year.
Yep I was embarrassed seeing that Fresno loss last night. Hope the pokes can put the conference on their back with a huge win tonight Go Pokes.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, I don't think we have gone undefeated at home, but we came really close with the Bailey/Davis teams in 00-01 and 01-02. I think those teams went 12-1 and 14-1 at home respectively and I believe the one loss in the 00-01 season was the Dalron Johnson game (UNLV player hitting half court buzzer beater to beat us by 2).
Yeah, you're right about the home loss to UNLV at the buzzer when Dalron threw it up from half court with Josh Davis in his face and his eyes were closed. The only home loss the next year was to SDSU by 4 late in the conference season. They also beat us by 1 in the MWC Semifinals that year, but we still got an at-large bid.

Wyoming has not gone undefeated at home since the AA was built. They played 1 game at the AA in 1982, which they won, but they've never had an undefeated home season there.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm

SJSU sucks..again.

I haven't seen Fresno yet. They lost to Evansville at home last night. Evansville is good, but that is standard Rodney Terry. Fresno always does better in conference than in OOC. Way to screw the conference RPI Bulldogs.

On paper they are a top 3/4 team in the league though.
Yeah, I think right now there are four clear tiers of MWC teams.

You have possible contenders in Nevada, Wyoming, and UNLV.

You have outside chance contenders in Boise, SDSU, and Fresno.

You have teams that can beat you in their building: UNM, USU, and CSU.

You have hot garbage in SJSU and AFA.

I think teams may shift from one group to the other: SDSU or Boise might climb. Wyoming and UNLV might fall.

Still, that's what it looks like to me after getting my eyeballs on all the MWC top teams.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

UNLV beat Utah by 27 last night. I think it is safe to say we aren't within miles of them or Nevada.

SDSU and Fresno probably round out the top 4. Pokes can finish 5th if we are healthy though.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:58 am UNLV beat Utah by 27 last night. I think it is safe to say we aren't within miles of them or Nevada.

SDSU and Fresno probably round out the top 4. Pokes can finish 5th if we are healthy though.
Yep. Good call. I think we're a better team than we showed last night, but it still looks like the Nevada squads are the class of the league right now.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I think a top 4 finish is in the cards. UNLV and Nev are def better, SDSU may be, but I think we're the best after that.

I don't think we could have played worse vs. Cinci and I don't they could have played much better honestly. I think if we played Cini with a full squad 10 times we get wins vs them two times.

The season still has a bright future
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:10 am I think a top 4 finish is in the cards. UNLV and Nev are def better, SDSU may be, but I think we're the best after that.

I don't think we could have played worse vs. Cinci and I don't they could have played much better honestly. I think if we played Cini with a full squad 10 times we get wins vs them two times.

The season still has a bright future
I think 4th is prob the best we could do. Boise UNLV and Nevada all look really good. I think we are about on par with Fresno and SDSU so I am thinking we will end up somewhere between 4 and 6.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

6 is our norm year in and year out, I hate mediocrity, but it is what it is
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 am 6 is our norm year in and year out, I hate mediocrity, but it is what it is
Agreed, I also the think the Mountain West has gotten better overall this year which will make it tougher to gain any ground.