Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am
TSpoke wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 pm Best thing about this win? We did it without our full squad. We didn't have Mack, Gorski or Moemeka. Moemeka would have been big tonight down low. We probably could have won by 20.

Loved how the team had poise after being down and took control of the game. Think we could be tough once everyone is completely healthy.

We are better without Gorski. I can't believe the coaching staff can't see that.
Depends on who we are playing. I actually think Gorski brings value myself in certain situations. He is the best shooter on the team so there is always room for good shooters in my opinion.
Yeah I don't see how we are better without him. He is a great shooter and in the one game he played this year he was great. He is in better shape than last year so I think he has gained a step to not be a liability on defense and he has a high basketball IQ and seems to be in good position. I am expecting big things from him this year if he can get healthy.
Bradley Mann 2.0. Put him in for a few minutes, if he clanks his shots, get him out of there. If he drains 3, ride him until he’s cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Great comparison. Gorski, like Mann, has a decent but not great overall 3PT shooting percentage. However, when he is feeling it everything goes down. When he's not, his main value is as a decoy because you have to respect his shot, but like Mann he isn't shy about letting it fly regardless.

That's the good thing about this team, a lot of depth and different pieces. Adams, Maldanado, and Gorski all have different strengths/weaknesses and can help the team in different scenarios and matchups.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:14 pm
laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am
TSpoke wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 pm Best thing about this win? We did it without our full squad. We didn't have Mack, Gorski or Moemeka. Moemeka would have been big tonight down low. We probably could have won by 20.

Loved how the team had poise after being down and took control of the game. Think we could be tough once everyone is completely healthy.

We are better without Gorski. I can't believe the coaching staff can't see that.
Depends on who we are playing. I actually think Gorski brings value myself in certain situations. He is the best shooter on the team so there is always room for good shooters in my opinion.
Yeah I don't see how we are better without him. He is a great shooter and in the one game he played this year he was great. He is in better shape than last year so I think he has gained a step to not be a liability on defense and he has a high basketball IQ and seems to be in good position. I am expecting big things from him this year if he can get healthy.
Bradley Mann 2.0. Put him in for a few minutes, if he clanks his shots, get him out of there. If he drains 3, ride him until he’s cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Great comparison. Gorski, like Mann, has a decent but not great overall 3PT shooting percentage. However, when he is feeling it everything goes down. When he's not, his main value is as a decoy because you have to respect his shot, but like Mann he isn't shy about letting it fly regardless.

That's the good thing about this team, a lot of depth and different pieces. Adams, Maldanado, and Gorski all have different strengths/weaknesses and can help the team in different scenarios and matchups.
I was a bit young for this time frame but would Steve Leven 2.0 also be an accurate comparison? Great shooter especially off the pick and roll but when's he's off he needed to ride. If I remember correctly Steve was a bit more athletic.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I'm actually excited to see Gorski. I haven't given up on him yet. He was the only player that WASN'T a hammered bag of turnover during the exhibition. He's in the best shape of his life and he was on fire the other day. I think he's going to be a weapon for us this year, especially with all the other shooters we have.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm I'm actually excited to see Gorski. I haven't given up on him yet. He was the only player that WASN'T a hammered bag of turnover during the exhibition. He's in the best shape of his life and he was on fire the other day. I think he's going to be a weapon for us this year, especially with all the other shooters we have.
Are you referring to his 3 turnovers in the game as not being a "hammered bag of turnover?" Aka Gorski had a great shooting night, but his defense, ball-handling, passing, etc. were terrible. He's a role player and belongs on the bench. If he's hot or UW is playing an unathletic team, let him play. If he's cold or the other team has athletes, he needs to sit on the bench. His shooting is great, but Maldonado is a better all around player.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

DVDA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm I'm actually excited to see Gorski. I haven't given up on him yet. He was the only player that WASN'T a hammered bag of turnover during the exhibition. He's in the best shape of his life and he was on fire the other day. I think he's going to be a weapon for us this year, especially with all the other shooters we have.
Are you referring to his 3 turnovers in the game as not being a "hammered bag of turnover?" Aka Gorski had a great shooting night, but his defense, ball-handling, passing, etc. were terrible. He's a role player and belongs on the bench. If he's hot or UW is playing an unathletic team, let him play. If he's cold or the other team has athletes, he needs to sit on the bench. His shooting is great, but Maldonado is a better all around player.
+1
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Yeah, that's exactly who I'm referring too. He led the team in scoring. He did something else on a night when the team produced 25 turnovers. He was out there for a whole lot of minutes. I'll take 3 turnovers on the exhibition opener when it comes with 20 points.

Nobody looked good during the exhibition. No one else did much more than turn it over: hammered bag of turnover. Gorski won us that game with his shooting.

I don't agree that his "defense, ball handling, passing....etc....we're terrible".

He's quicker this year. It seemed like he gets his shot up quicker. Sorry for believing he could have improved in the off-season. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play some games that matter.

That's why they call it an exhibition game: it's practice.

I'm not walking ANYONE off the plank over an exhibition, like a lot of so called "experts" on this board.

He might stink it up this year. I'll wait until I see that to talk about how he's terrible at everything because his passing wasn't terrible in the exhibition, his defense wasn't terrible, his ball handling wasn't terrible, and I don't know what you're talking about with etc....

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:09 pm
Yeah, that's exactly who I'm referring too. He led the team in scoring. He did something else on a night when the team produced 25 turnovers. He was out there for a whole lot of minutes. I'll take 3 turnovers on the exhibition opener when it comes with 20 points.

Nobody looked good during the exhibition. No one else did much more than turn it over: hammered bag of turnover. Gorski won us that game with his shooting.

I don't agree that his "defense, ball handling, passing....etc....we're terrible".

He's quicker this year. It seemed like he gets his shot up quicker. Sorry for believing he could have improved in the off-season. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play some games that matter.

I'm not walking ANYONE off the plank over an exhibition, like a lot of so called "experts" on this board.

He might stink it up this year. I'll wait until I see that to talk about how he's terrible at everything because his passing wasn't terrible in the exhibition, his defense wasn't terrible, his ball handling wasn't terrible, and I don't know what you're talking about with etc....
I agree with this sentiment. He didn't just sit outside and launch up 3's all game and that's it. He was 4-7 from 3 and scored 4 other baskets on the night mainly midrange jumpers from my memory. I thought he had a good all around game. Yeah he had 3 turnovers but the entire team turned the ball over just as bad or worse. I saw him in better shape than he had been last year and looking more athletic(not claiming he is a great athlete compared to others on team). He is a smart player and seems to be in the right position on defense most of the time. At this point, I have no problem with him starting and getting a decent amount of minutes. I am expecting him to contribute this year but I need to see him play in a real game.
The great thing about this team is we can go with many different styles/lineups depending on how people are playing and match-ups.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 am
Yeah, that's exactly who I'm referring to. He led the team in scoring. He did something else on a night when the team produced 25 turnovers. He was out there for a whole lot of minutes. I'll take 3 turnovers on the exhibition opener when it comes with 20 points.

I agree with this sentiment. He didn't just sit outside and launch up 3's all game and that's it. He was 4-7 from 3 and scored 4 other baskets on the night mainly midrange jumpers from my memory. I thought he had a good all around game. Yeah he had 3 turnovers but the entire team turned the ball over just as bad or worse. I saw him in better shape than he had been last year and looking more athletic(not claiming he is a great athlete compared to others on team). He is a smart player and seems to be in the right position on defense most of the time. At this point, I have no problem with him starting and getting a decent amount of minutes. I am expecting him to contribute this year but I need to see him play in a real game.
The great thing about this team is we can go with many different styles/lineups depending on how people are playing and match-ups.
Yep, that's really the key. This team has a lot of options. James/Dalton/Herndon will be mainstays, but the rest of the rotation (Redding, Kelley, Gorski, Adams, Maldonado, Jones, Moemeka, Naughton) will fluctuate based on matchups and who is playing well at the time. I don't think you can say that any one of the Maldanado/Adams/Gorski is better to have on the court than the other two on the wing. It just depends on matchups. Now, obviously I expect Maldanado to eventually be a much better player than the other two, but he is still a freshman and will have ups and downs. Gorski is a very dangerous shooter and productive offensive player, but not a good ball handler or defender. Adams adds a little bit of crazy. He is going to go the rim, come hell or high water, and he is going to be aggressive on both sides of the court. Sometimes you need that shot in the arm. Othertimes you foul 3 point shooters and get charging calls.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 am
TSpoke wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 am

Yep, that's really the key. This team has a lot of options. James/Dalton/Herndon will be mainstays, but the rest of the rotation (Redding, Kelley, Gorski, Adams, Maldonado, Jones, Moemeka, Naughton) will fluctuate based on matchups and who is playing well at the time. I don't think you can say that any one of the Maldanado/Adams/Gorski is better to have on the court than the other two on the wing. It just depends on matchups. Now, obviously I expect Maldanado to eventually be a much better player than the other two, but he is still a freshman and will have ups and downs. Gorski is a very dangerous shooter and productive offensive player, but not a good ball handler or defender. Adams adds a little bit of crazy. He is going to go the rim, come hell or high water, and he is going to be aggressive on both sides of the court. Sometimes you need that shot in the arm. Othertimes you foul 3 point shooters and get charging calls.
agreed
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It's all about match-ups, which we have a lot of. If the guy he's guarding has a quick first step, maybe you bench Gorski and put in Adams.

I just think he's going to really help the offense, especially if he's shooting reasonably well. With Dalton and Herndon able to stretch the floor, you can't really rotate over or drop down to help with all three of them waiting around the three point line. It becomes more difficult to defend us the more three point shooters we have on the floor at the same time.

Hopefully we'll add Mack to the mix soon as well. We've got a lot of great pieces to exploit peoples weaknesses this year.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am It's all about match-ups, which we have a lot of. If the guy he's guarding has a quick first step, maybe you bench Gorski and put in Adams.

I just think he's going to really help the offense, especially if he's shooting reasonably well. With Dalton and Herndon able to stretch the floor, you can't really rotate over or drop down to help with all three of them waiting around the three point line. It becomes more difficult to defend us the more three point shooters we have on the floor at the same time.

Hopefully we'll add Mack to the mix soon as well. We've got a lot of great pieces to exploit peoples weaknesses this year.
I really don't see Mack playing this season. If he isnt in "shape" enough to sit on the bench during games he certainly isnt in any shape to be practicing. Which means he's 2 months behind the rest of the team in conditioning and understanding of the playbook. My money is on him Redshirting. Which, honestly, doesn't hurt my feelings. This team is already so loaded at guard and wing players I don't know if he'd se a ton of minutes. Save this year, get healthy, and come back on a team with a senior leader (beast JJ) and room for you on the wing. Just my :twocents:
wyoair
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am It's all about match-ups, which we have a lot of. If the guy he's guarding has a quick first step, maybe you bench Gorski and put in Adams.

I really don't see Mack playing this season. If he isnt in "shape" enough to sit on the bench during games he certainly isnt in any shape to be practicing. Which means he's 2 months behind the rest of the team in conditioning and understanding of the playbook. My money is on him Redshirting. Which, honestly, doesn't hurt my feelings. This team is already so loaded at guard and wing players I don't know if he'd se a ton of minutes. Save this year, get healthy, and come back on a team with a senior leader (beast JJ) and room for you on the wing. Just my :twocents:
Exactly plus a red-shirted and hopefully stronger and more experienced Hunter Thompson to step in for a graduated Dalton/Herndon. :thumb:
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wyoair wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 am

Exactly plus a red-shirted and hopefully stronger and more experienced Hunter Thompson to step in for a graduated Dalton/Herndon. :thumb:
Those are big shoes to fill but everything I hear about Hunter T indicates he is the real deal. ITs a great time to be a Pokes fan!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Hunter's gonna be a great fit for us, blue collar, rolls up his sleeves and gets it done, can't wait for Chapter 2 of his career, followed him at PB weekly!!!