Season opener

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Hey. NO dunksk so far!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

The conditioning of these kids looks terrible.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Same offense as last year also. 80% of the time get down court as fast as you can and everybody just stand around the 3 point line and bomb a 3.

No halfcourt offense. The team really doesn't look like it is very well coached. Maybe it's just the first regular season game and we are missing a bunch of guys so we will just give it a pass and hope they come out ready next week. If they don't Oregon St. Will kick Wyoming's butt.

Wyoming doesn't look sharp at all.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Just looks out of control
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Adams simply out of control. Will not be a big contributor this year
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We look to be largely the same team. When the 3s fall it looks good and when they not we look like a really sloppy, undisciplined team. I hope it’s just the early season rustiness but judging by how we played last year I’d say probably not. The team is just not consistent and commit way too many turnovers.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 pm We look to be largely the same team. When the 3s fall it looks good and when they not we look like a really sloppy, undisciplined team. I hope it’s just the early season rustiness but judging by how we played last year I’d say probably not. The team is just not consistent and commit way too many turnovers.
I have to agree with you. What is disappointing is this team I think has a lot of talent on it and could be really good with the right coaching and I'm a little concerned the coaching is what keeps us from reaching our potential this year.

Hope I'm wrong and it is just rust.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We are missing quite a few guys, but this current version of the team would get run off the court in league play. We have a long ways to go. In order to get in position for a postseason bid though we need to be firing early due to the way our schedule is set up.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Cool to see Hankerson there.

Dalton is going to steal JJ's thunder.

Adams still has no control.

Would like to see the big guys get the ball/position inside and one of our slashers actually slash.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

This team needs to get healthy. From what I saw, both of the point guards had solid games. Adams needs to play under control or take a seat on the bench. The defense seemed decent with only a few lapses in help defense. Conditioning looks poor and the significant number of injuries might back that up. Watsabaugh needs to go back to Jackson and someone who knows what they're doing needs to take his place.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 pm We look to be largely the same team. When the 3s fall it looks good and when they not we look like a really sloppy, undisciplined team. I hope it’s just the early season rustiness but judging by how we played last year I’d say probably not. The team is just not consistent and commit way too many turnovers.
I don't think so. We've got more length. We we're missing Moemeka, Gorski, and Mack.

With Jones, Dalton, Herndon, Moemeka, James, Maldonado, and Meuller, we've got the ability to have 3 or 4 guys that are 6'6"+ on the floor together. We have several different rotations with suffocating length. We must have had eleventy blocks. With Moemeka back, it will get better. I think that defensive intensity slipped in the second half, but we have a very good defensive basketball team this year. We lost assignments in the second half.

Too many turnovers killed us tonight, as expected for the season opener. We'll get that number down.

Offensively, I'll hold out judgement until we have two of our better three point shooters back in the line up with Mack and Gorski. James wasn't aggressive offensively at all. I think he's still coming back from ankle problems. I like Maldonado's ability to attack. With him, Dalton, and James attacking the rim, we have more offensive options on the road. Lou Adams will wash off the bad game and get after it sooner or later. We've got more offense this year, but didn't get the full flavor without Gorski, Moemeka, and Mack out there.

It could have been a lot prettier, but you can see the makings of a pretty good basketball team this year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

JJ isn't right. We just have so many injuries. If we can get healthy we can be pretty good.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 pm
I don't think so. We've got more length. We we're missing Moemeka, Gorski, and Mack.

With Jones, Dalton, Herndon, Moemeka, James, Maldonado, and Meuller, we've got the ability to have 3 or 4 guys that are 6'6"+ on the floor together. We have several different rotations with suffocating length. We must have had eleventy blocks. With Moemeka back, it will get better. I think that defensive intensity slipped in the second half, but we have a very good defensive basketball team this year. We lost assignments in the second half.

Too many turnovers killed us tonight, as expected for the season opener. We'll get that number down.

Offensively, I'll hold out judgement until we have two of our better three point shooters back in the line up with Mack and Gorski. James wasn't aggressive offensively at all. I think he's still coming back from ankle problems. I like Maldonado's ability to attack. With him, Dalton, and James attacking the rim, we have more offensive options on the road. Lou Adams will wash off the bad game and get after it sooner or later. We've got more offense this year, but didn't get the full flavor without Gorski, Moemeka, and Mack out there.

It could have been a lot prettier, but you can see the makings of a pretty good basketball team this year.
TOo many turnovers killed us tonight and how many times did it kill us last year as well? I’m afraid that’s not the first game jitters, but rather a recurring problem that is going to keep rearing its ugly head. I hope you’re right. But I still just see a lot of undisciplined basketball and an offense that relies solely on hitting 3s. How many points in the paint did we have? Maybe 20?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I fell asleep from about 5 minutes in until 2 minutes left, so I probably can't offer much on what this team needs. However, from the sounds of it we're really banged up. Hopefully that can come to a stop by conference play.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think some of you are overracting. We were kicking their butts by 20 in the first and never let it get close really.

Dalton looks great. Redding is steady. Herndon played like butt on offense but that won't happen too often. I thought we played great defense, honestly.

Kelly is a good player! He should get like 10-12 min each game. He makes stuff happen - on O and D. If there is a player 6'2'' or shorter Kelly is a plus defender

Our rebounding is defecient, but what's new? We don't have an offense other than jack 3s? what's new? Overall we are the same team as last year, but with better players imo. We're going to be fine.

JJ didn't look right. That was the most worrisome thing. And a lot of our perceived problems will go away when Momeka plays.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I'm surprised no one else noticed. I know Gorski, Moemeka, and Mack are missing due to injury.

Why didn't Naughton see the floor last night? Is he hurt or suspended?

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Happy the pokes won, definitely showed some rust, but a win is a win. Dalton was unconscious from the arc in the first half, hit a couple fairly ridiculous shots. 30 pts 13 rebounds.... monster game! Team as a whole cooled off quite a bit in the 2nd half.
James definitely didn't look like himself and wasn't much of a factor, didn't play many minutes. Assuming his ankle is not 100%.
Really like our length, it seemed like we blocked a gazillion shots! Did that without Moemeka as well! As Junky mentioned above, I also wondered what the deal with Naughton was? He was the only supposedly healthy cowboy that didn't play.

I didn't really see anything that set off alarm bells for me. I like our versatility on the offensive end because of our length, and defensively pokes have the potential to be very very disruptive if they really focus on that end of the floor.

If I had any gripe at all, it's that the offense virtually never ran anything that went towards the basket. Seemed like most of the motion offense and set plays either led to a 3 or a perimiter shot. That's not really anything new as that seems to be how Edwards likes to run offense as that's what the Pokes did last year as well. If the Pokes shoot well from the arc they'll compete with most anyone in the country. If they shoot poorly, they'll have to rely on their length and ability on the defensive end.

Excited for the season! Monday night at Oregon St will be a tough test for the Pokes. I feel like that game will tell us more about the team than last night's game did. Beaver's were terrible last year, but their best player missed most of the season with a broken wrist, and he's back along with a few other new good players. Depending how their season goes, they could be a bubble tournament team at the end of the year, so this game should be a good barometer of where the Pokes are at early in the season.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:51 am I'm surprised no one else noticed. I know Gorski, Moemeka, and Mack are missing due to injury.

I started thinking about this also. How come Naughton didn't see the floor? Is he so bad now in Edwards eyes that he can't even get on the floor against Chatanooga when we are missing 3 other players completely and 2 or 3 others are playimg hurt?

Maybe Naughton has an injury or something also cause that makes no sense to me.

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:51 am I'm surprised no one else noticed. I know Gorski, Moemeka, and Mack are missing due to injury.

I started thinking about this also. How come Naughton didn't see the floor? Is he so bad now in Edwards eyes that he can't even get on the floor against Chatanooga when we are missing 3 other players completely and 2 or 3 others are playimg hurt?

Maybe Naughton has an injury or something also cause that makes no sense to me.
He must have an injury or a small suspension, because Averbuck was on the floor stinking it up and Naughton is ten times the player that Averbuck is.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

FarmerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 am Happy the pokes won, definitely showed some rust, but a win is a win. Dalton was unconscious from the arc in the first half, hit a couple fairly ridiculous shots. 30 pts 13 rebounds.... monster game! Team as a whole cooled off quite a bit in the 2nd half.
James definitely didn't look like himself and wasn't much of a factor, didn't play many minutes. Assuming his ankle is not 100%.
Really like our length, it seemed like we blocked a gazillion shots! Did that without Moemeka as well! As Junky mentioned above, I also wondered what the deal with Naughton was? He was the only supposedly healthy cowboy that didn't play.

I didn't really see anything that set off alarm bells for me. I like our versatility on the offensive end because of our length, and defensively pokes have the potential to be very very disruptive if they really focus on that end of the floor.

If I had any gripe at all, it's that the offense virtually never ran anything that went towards the basket. Seemed like most of the motion offense and set plays either led to a 3 or a perimiter shot. That's not really anything new as that seems to be how Edwards likes to run offense as that's what the Pokes did last year as well. If the Pokes shoot well from the arc they'll compete with most anyone in the country. If they shoot poorly, they'll have to rely on their length and ability on the defensive end.

Excited for the season! Monday night at Oregon St will be a tough test for the Pokes. I feel like that game will tell us more about the team than last night's game did. Beaver's were terrible last year, but their best player missed most of the season with a broken wrist, and he's back along with a few other new good players. Depending how their season goes, they could be a bubble tournament team at the end of the year, so this game should be a good barometer of where the Pokes are at early in the season.
I don't think Oregon State will tell us much. Without JJ we will probably have a tough time, but if he can be 100% by conference play we could be a tough out. OOC will be rough. Can't count on hitting almost 50% from the arc every night.