Thoughts on Cowboy Basketball

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

We have a new basketball writer! That means we have a basketball column for you to read! Welcome to the team, Mark!

http://wyonation.com/2017/11/random-tho ... ball-game/
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Nice! good write-up
Smeller
Buckaroo
Has liked: 42 times

Agreed. Good write up!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I agree completely that Averbuck shouldnt see but a handful of minutes going forward. He just doesnt have the same feel for the game. I don't agree that Mueller needs to be buried down the list with the other Mop Up time players. I think he should be in the rotation to get minutes every game. He looked better than expected on Friday.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 119 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 am I agree completely that Averbuck shouldnt see but a handful of minutes going forward. He just doesnt have the same feel for the game. I don't agree that Mueller needs to be buried down the list with the other Mop Up time players. I think he should be in the rotation to get minutes every game. He looked better than expected on Friday.
Same with the turnover machine from Gillette. :shock:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:12 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 am I agree completely that Averbuck shouldnt see but a handful of minutes going forward. He just doesnt have the same feel for the game. I don't agree that Mueller needs to be buried down the list with the other Mop Up time players. I think he should be in the rotation to get minutes every game. He looked better than expected on Friday.
Same with the turnover machine from Gillette. :shock:
He was really pressing friday night. He may very well see the writing on the wall. Redding is far superior in all areas and will receive the lions share of the minutes. He looked really good
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

After watching the first exhibition, I think we should see 7 guys play some serious minutes, with 3 more getting 10ish minutes a game. I would start Redding at point, James and Gorski on the wing and Herndon and Dalton. For us to have a great year, Dalton and James need to play 30 plus minutes a game. My absolute favorite lineup would have James at the point, Mack or Gorski at the 2, Maldonado at 3 and Dalton and Moemeka inside. Herndon did very little in the first game and I think that Moemeka has passed him. I have a feeling that Mack is a much better player than Gorski, especially off the dribble, but if Gorski shoots like he did against Regis, he will have a hell of a year and we will be tough to beat. Budha Jones looked athletic, but raw. Not nearly as good as Moemeka. Mueller, Kelly, Naughton and Averbuck should warm the bench, although I think that at some point Mueller could play some minutes
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

People on this board are prejudice towards short white point guards.

I get it with Lieberman, because he took 2/3 of the season to play his best ball of the season and still be a liability.

Cody Kelly isn't a bad back up point guard option. He can shoot, he can shoot free throws, and he didn't turn it over much last year as a freshman. I thought he was better than Lieberman last year.

To me, the Riley Grabau hate fest was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. He won us a dozen games over 4 years on his free throw shooting alone, was a clutch three point shooter, and took care of the rock better than anyone on the team.

Luckily our coaching staff agrees with me and doesn't pre-judge point guards based off the color of their skin or their height.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Agree on Kelly. He is a decent player, imo. He deserves to play at least some every game.

Everyone is forgetting about Lou. He's the wildcard. If he improves from last year we;re going to be almost unstoppable
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 pm Agree on Kelly. He is a decent player, imo. He deserves to play at least some every game.

Everyone is forgetting about Lou. He's the wildcard. If he improves from last year we;re going to be almost unstoppable
If Adams has learned the art of driving and either pulling up with a short range jumper or kicking it out for a 3, we will be unstoppable. Last year he had one mode, attack the rim, which often times led to heaving up a shot and hoping to draw a foul, which often times was not called. Adams is an awesome defender and with Moemeka, the most athletic on the team by far
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 pm People on this board are prejudice towards short white point guards.

I get it with Lieberman, because he took 2/3 of the season to play his best ball of the season and still be a liability.

Cody Kelly isn't a bad back up point guard option. He can shoot, he can shoot free throws, and he didn't turn it over much last year as a freshman. I thought he was better than Lieberman last year.

To me, the Riley Grabau hate fest was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. He won us a dozen games over 4 years on his free throw shooting alone, was a clutch three point shooter, and took care of the rock better than anyone on the team.

Luckily our coaching staff agrees with me and doesn't pre-judge point guards based off the color of their skin or their height.
CJ, Kelley was beyond awful against Regis. I can live with missed shots, or a couple defensive breakdowns, what I can't stand is overdribbling and one on one play from my PG. He really hurt the team with his play. To me, Redding is the better PG and it isn't close, regardless of skin color.

If I am Coach Edwards, Redding plays as many minutes as his conditioning allows, much like how Shyatt relied on Grabau. We will need his presence as a capable ball handler and playmaker. I should know better than to get excited about one game, but Redding is better than I thought he would be.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Here is my hot take, which isn't a hot take anymore since someone already mentioned it upthread: Our best lineup will feature Andrew Moemeka.

To me, his athleticism and effort around the rim are the missing link for this team. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to help the team and you won't find him chilling on the 3-point line like many of our guys tend to.

I am not sure he is quite ready for starter minutes as he plays very high energy and will need to learn to avoid fouls, but we need him on the court for significant minutes.

P.S. He got robbed on that offensive foul on the dunk putback late in the first half.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 pm People on this board are prejudice towards short white point guards.

CJ, Kelley was beyond awful against Regis. I can live with missed shots, or a couple defensive breakdowns, what I can't stand is overdribbling and one on one play from my PG. He really hurt the team with his play. To me, Redding is the better PG and it isn't close, regardless of skin color.

If I am Coach Edwards, Redding plays as many minutes as his conditioning allows, much like how Shyatt relied on Grabau. We will need his presence as a capable ball handler and playmaker. I should know better than to get excited about one game, but Redding is better than I thought he would be.
Yeah, it was one exhibition game. I agree that Redding looks better. I don't agree that Kelly is a terrible player and doesn't deserve minutes based off of one exhibition game. Just about everyone on the team had 4 turnovers against Regis. I thought Kelly was adequate last year, not great, but not a liability for the minutes he got.

It's the same old same old for this board. You can count on certain things: it's always the o.c's fault we suck at football and it's always the short white point guards fault at basketball. Those things will be bitched about no matter who that person is. They've been bitched about every year as long as I can remember.

I think it's a little too early to send out the short white point guard posse. We haven't even played a real game yet.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:26 am
NowherePoke wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Yeah, it was one exhibition game. I agree that Redding looks better. I don't agree that Kelly is a terrible player and doesn't deserve minutes based off of one exhibition game. Just about everyone on the team had 4 turnovers against Regis. I thought Kelly was adequate last year, not great, but not a liability for the minutes he got.

It's the same old same old for this board. You can can count on certain things: it's always the o.c's fault we suck at football and it's always the short white point guards fault at basketball. Those things will be bitched about no matter who that person is. They've been bitched about every year as long as I can remember.

I think it's a little to early to send out the short white point guard posse. We haven't even played a real game yet.
I like the 6'7" point guard option the best. We could put out James, Adams,Maldonado, Dalton and Moemeka. That would be a tall and super athletic lineup. Only James and Dalton are three ball threats, but this would be a hell of an option
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I'm sure glad we had Kelly at our tourney loss. He was the only one that showed up. Literally. We would have lost by 60 instead of 30 or whatever it was
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Nice stuff, welcome Mark, we need good write ups it's not always about football!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Junky, come on man! Cody cannot shoot, misses free throws worse than I, and is a turnover machine. Look up the kids stats for 2016-17 for yourself. Redding, Adams, James, Gorski, Mack, and an occasional other here and there, should make certain Kelly never sees the floor without at 40 point lead and 5 to go.

And please don't compare Kelly to Grabau, that is like night and day and makes you look like an attention "friendly ladies". Shame on you for bringing race & skin color into this as well - that is f-word pathetic.
Dear Karma,

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Junky, come on man! Cody cannot shoot, misses free throws worse than I, and is a turnover machine. Look up the kids stats for 2016-17 for yourself. Redding, Adams, James, Gorski, Mack, and an occasional other here and there, should make certain Kelly never sees the floor without at 40 point lead and 5 to go.

And please don't compare Kelly to Grabau, that is like night and day and makes you look like an attention "friendly ladies". Shame on you for bringing race & skin color into this as well - that is f-word pathetic.
Turnover machines rarely lead their team in assist/turnover ratio, especially as freshmen.

Obviously the kids stats aren't printed on the inside of your ass or you would be able to see them, with your head buried up there. Since you requested them, here they are.

His stats are rock solid for a freshman. He was second on the team in 3 point percentage. He led the team last year in assists/minute. He led the team in steals/minute as a freshman. He led the team in assists/turnover ratio. His turnovers, which everyone bitches about, are less than Justin James, whom everyone wants to play point. In fact, if he played the same minutes as James, he would average 1 turnover per game LESS than James, as a freshman. Only Mcmanamen, Herndon, Naughton, Gorski, and Lieberman turned the ball over at a lower rate than Kelly and ALL of them are upper classmen or gone. The only ball handler on the team to average less turnovers/minute is Gorski, and he rarely brings the ball up the court. Kelly is 4th on our roster in turnovers/minute. So yeah, call me crazy, but when you're leading the team in assists/minute, assists/turnovers AND steals/minute, when you rank 4th(lowest) on our roster in turnovers/minute, and you're 2nd on the team in 3 point percentage, you deserve minutes. You were right about one thing though, he is a poop free throw shooter.

1st in assists/minute, steals/minute, and assists/turnover
2nd in 3 point percentage
4th in turnovers/minute

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ng-cowboys

I know all these stats wont stop the so called basketball experts from prejudicing Kelly because he's short and white, but at least know what you're talking about when you accuse him of being a turnover machine. If he's a turnover machine, there are 8 BIGGER turnover machines on our current roster.

And the reason I compared Kelly to Grabau is because he's just another short white point guard that everyone bitches about. The reason I compared him to Grabau is because everyone was bitching about Grabau being a liability the entire time he played for us. That was me pointing out how idiotic people on this board are. They bitched about Grabau the very same way they bitch about Kelly, they bitched about Lieberman, they'll bitch about the next short white point, and they'll bitch about every offensive coordinator we hire from now until the end of time. That's Wyonation: bitch, bitch, bitch....ad nauseum.

Kelly isn't the worlds best point, but he's an adequate back-up. James is one of the few players on our squad that can attack the rim when the three ball isn't falling. We need him on the wing. Maybe with the addition of more guys that can attack the rim, we can keep James out of foul trouble, but his game leads to foul trouble. We need other guys that can play point, and Kelly is that guy to come in and get minutes when the match-up is right.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Turnover machines rarely lead their team in assist/turnover ratio, especially as freshmen.

Obviously the kids stats aren't printed on the inside of your ass or you would be able to see them, with your head buried up there. Since you requested them, here they are.

His stats are rock solid for a freshman. He was second on the team in 3 point percentage. He led the team last year in assists/minute. He led the team in steals/minute as a freshman. He led the team in assists/turnover ratio. His turnovers, which everyone bitches about, are less than Justin James, whom everyone wants to play point. In fact, if he played the same minutes as James, he would average 1 turnover per game LESS than James, as a freshman. Only Mcmanamen, Herndon, Naughton, Gorski, and Lieberman turned the ball over at a lower rate than Kelly and ALL of them are upper classmen or gone. The only ball handler on the team to average less turnovers/minute is Gorski, and he rarely brings the ball up the court. Kelly is 4th on our roster in turnovers/minute. So yeah, call me crazy, but when you're leading the team in assists/minute, assists/turnovers AND steals/minute, when you rank 4th(lowest) on our roster in turnovers/minute, and you're 2nd on the team in 3 point percentage, you deserve minutes. You were right about one thing though, he is a poop free throw shooter.

4th in turnovers/minute

I know all these stats wont stop the so called basketball experts from prejudicing Kelly because he's short and white, but at least know what you're talking about when you accuse him of being a turnover machine. If he's a turnover machine, there are 8 BIGGER turnover machines on our current roster.

And the reason I compared Kelly to Grabau is because he's just another short white point guard that everyone bitches about. The reason I compared him to Grabau is because everyone was bitching about Grabau being a liability the entire time he played for us. That was me pointing out how idiotic people on this board are. They bitched about Grabau the very same way they bitch about Kelly, they bitched about Lieberman, they'll bitch about the next short white point, and they'll bitch about every offensive coordinator we hire from now until the end of time. That's Wyonation: bitch, bitch, bitch....ad nauseum.

Kelly isn't the worlds best point, but he's an adequate back-up. James is one of the few players on our squad that can attack the rim when the three ball isn't falling. We need him on the wing. Maybe with the addition of more guys that can attack the rim, we can keep James out of foul trouble, but his game leads to foul trouble. We need other guys that can play point, and Kelly is that guy to come in and get minutes when the match-up is right.
TLDR.

Once again, this has nothing to do with race / skin color. Don't lump me in with "they", and go get some help & mental therapy, you need it.
Dear Karma,

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 pm

4th in turnovers/minute

TLDR.

Once again, this has nothing to do with race / skin color. Don't lump me in with "they", and go get some help & mental therapy, you need it.
Sorry it was too long. I can draw in crayon on flash cards if that helps.

Ill sum it up. He leads the team in three categories: assists/minute, steals/minute, and assist/turnover. Hes the 2nd best 3 point shooter on the team. He turns it over at the 4th lowset rate on the team. He deserves to play.

If defending a 19 year old kid from a bunch of insulting, anonomous, internet douchebags makes me crazy...then sign me up for straight jacket.

Easy enough or should I write in millenial abbreviations, like tldr, so you can understand?

National Champions 1943.

I do.