Thoughts on Cowboy Basketball

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 pm Kelly played great
He is a beast. Best PG in the MWC by far. Wonder why he isn't on scholarship?
This is actually a good question. If a player gets 20 min and is relied on heavily it seems he should be on scholarship
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 pm
This is actually a good question. If a player gets 20 min and is relied on heavily it seems he should be on scholarship
He is a Wyoming kid and (from what I can find online) he had a 3.98 GPA in high school. My guess is his ACT and/or SAT numbers were pretty solid. All that means he probably has a full-ride through the Hathaway scholarship. Now I know that it isn't the same as an athletic scholarship and it doesn't pay for room-and-board automatically. But there is a need-based component, and with those grades he would certainly get as much as he needs to cover those costs.

Having said all that, I do get that being on scholarship also shows that you are important to the team in ways more than just money.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Redding is a walk on as well and plays about the same amount. We actually have one scholarship open (since Haley didn't work out) and I wonder if Kelley might get put on scholly. We haven't had much luck with 2018 recruiting so maybe one of those could go to Kelley.

Not saying it should or shouldn't, but it could be a possibility.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm If I were the coach.. I would play Redding 25 min and Kelly 15. This could vary, of course, depending on who's hot
If/when Gorski and Mack get healthy I'd like to see JJ running the point at some times as well. I don't think Redding and Kelley can combine for a solid 40 minutes together every game.

Heck, even Herndon looks solid bringing the ball up the court.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Redding is a walk on as well and plays about the same amount. We actually have one scholarship open (since Haley didn't work out) and I wonder if Kelley might get put on scholly. We haven't had much luck with 2018 recruiting so maybe one of those could go to Kelley.

I think Redding gets free tuition since his stepdad is on the staff. His level of play is definitely deserving of a scholarship though if that's not true.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 am
Vt poke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am VTpoke - nice. I agree except for Lou. Lou has been playing well on offense - I definitely wouldn't say selfish at all. He's shooting better than 50%. Lou can shoot all he wants and he's one of the only ones that consistently attacks the dish.

As for his defense? Except for the fouls (many of which have been bull crap) he plays with great intensity. I think Lou is focused and is going to have a great year
I didn't realize he was shooting better than 50% from the field. He has the ability to be one of our best players, especially as a lock down kinda guy. He is our 2nd most athletic guy on the team. It's just his one or two really dumb plays a game that unfortunately sour my opinion towards him.
He plays too out of control. I like him and I think he can provide a spark off the bench for us especially in games where things might not be going well but I don't want to have to rely too heavily on him.
I was thinking it might be a product of him coming off the bench and feeling the need to make a big and immediate impact. Not sure if we can afford to experiment, but I was wondering if he might be able to play with a more relaxed mindset if he's in the starting 5 and not have to be a "spark off the bench" kind of guy. But Maldonado is filling that role great at the moment, so I don't see a need to push it.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am
dapokes wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am
Sarcasm? He doesn't even start on our team and that travel last night was fortunate to have came when we already had the lead.
Yes. More of a stab at Junky and his love for all things Cody Kelly. That said, with Mack supposedly out for an extensive period of time, we don't have many options at PG...
You can bag on him all you want. Just don't expect me not to defend him.

Maybe we should just be thankful that he's selfless enough to play basketball for us WITHOUT a scholarship. He could be crying, "Show me the money." Selfless is a great description of Cody. He leads the team in a lot of stats most morons don't notice: assists, assists/turnover, and steals. This year, he's even hitting his free throws. He does the dirty work and doesn't have to jack up 30 shots a game to feel like he's contributed.

There's a reason why we have the deepest bench since Marcus Bailey. It's because Cody Kelly and Ny Redding aren't on scholarship. Two of our rotation players are paying their own way, so grumpy pricks like you can bitch about their sacrifice while insulting their skill level. Those 2 scholarships are used elsewhere to give us a team with enough depth that we hardly notice that Moemeka, Gorski, and Mack haven't even laced them up yet.

Maybe, instead of being an insulting douchebag to a KID: inferring that the coaching staff doesn't think he's worth a scholarship, you should try being thankful that we have a Wyoming native with a little enough ego to pay his own way. If you feel like insulting someone, just keep dropping them on me. I'm a grown man. I can handle it. I'm not some 19 year old, paying his own way so he can read how he's a turnover machine that he's not worth a scholarship, when he has close to the best ball security on our entire roster and he's one of the main reasons why we're 2-0.

Oh, by the way, I was right. ;) Take that message back to your knitting circle of grumpy, unappreciative pricks. :thumb:
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

The jury's still out on Haley. I heard a Gags interview recently that this was known before hand and planned for. He transferred here, knowing that he would have to take a class, and would enroll in January.

Haley is still on, unless he doesn't take care of business before January.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:
Sarcasm? He doesn't even start on our team and that travel last night was fortunate to have came when we already had the lead.
Yes. More of a stab at Junky and his love for all things Cody Kelly. That said, with Mack supposedly out for an extensive period of time, we don't have many options at PG...

Maybe we should just be thankful that he's selfless enough to play basketball for us WITHOUT a scholarship. He could be crying, "Show me the money." Selfless is a great description of Cody. He leads the team in a lot of stats most morons don't notice: assists, assists/turnover, and steals. This year, he's even hitting his free throws. He does the dirty work and doesn't have to jack up 30 shots a game to feel like he's contributed.

There's a reason why we have the deepest bench since Marcus Bailey. It's because Cody Kelly and Ny Redding aren't on scholarship. Two of our rotation players are paying their own way, so grumpy pricks like you can bitch about their sacrifice while insulting their skill level. Those 2 scholarships are used elsewhere to give us a team with enough depth that we hardly notice that Moemeka, Gorski, and Mack haven't even laced them up yet.

Maybe, instead of being an insulting douchebag to a KID: inferring that the coaching staff doesn't think he's worth a scholarship, you should try being thankful that we have a Wyoming native with a little enough ego to pay his own way. If you feel like insulting someone, just keep dropping them on me. I'm a grown man. I can handle it. I'm not some 19 year old, paying his own way so he can read how he's a turnover machine that he's not worth a scholarship, when he has close to the best ball security on our entire roster and he's one of the main reasons why we're 2-0.

Oh, by the way, I was right. ;) Take that message back to your knitting circle of grumpy, unappreciative pricks. :thumb:
Junky, did you just bust this out on us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote:

Junky, did you just bust this out on us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I did. :rofl:

I just know that some of the decisions I made while I was doing keg stands and playing hackey sack(getting student loan debt without a degree).....let's just say that I don't make those type of decisions anymore. I'm really thankful that my early 20's wasn't subject to a message board about my poor performance filled with anonymous messages insulting the one thing in life I was actually passionate about.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 pm

:rofl: I love it. Well done poop! Well done!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm

No problem McPeachy, or is it Mr. Peach? I'm sure Cody is really sorry for walking on your lawn.

I'll keep defending those that no one else defends: the worst offensive coordinators in football history and the not-scholarship-worthy point guards that don't deserve minutes.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

No problem McPeachy, or is it Mr. Peach? I'm sure Cody is really sorry for walking on your lawn.

I'll keep defending those that no one else defends: the worst offensive coordinators in football history and the not-scholarship-worthy point guards that don't deserve minutes.
Frankly, he is a heck of a kid - very nice / honest, comes from a good family in Gillette, he is hard working, and clearly has some talent. I just don't believe, (and you are not going to change my mind), that he belongs running the point at Wyoming right now.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:09 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Frankly, he is a heck of a kid - very nice / honest, comes from a good family in Gillette, he is hard working, and clearly has some talent. I just don't believe, (and you are not going to change my mind), that he belongs running the point at Wyoming right now.
Right now, he deserves it more than Redding because he's out played him in the first 2 games of the season.

Redding is a bit quicker and probably a better defender, but Kelly is better at getting the ball in the hands of people that are hot.

Either way, I'm thankful that we can get a road win at Oregon State(RPI top 100 before last nights game) with 2 guys running the point that don't even cost us a scholarship.

To me, that's a win.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

The jury's still out on Haley. I heard a Gags interview recently that this was known before hand and planned for. He transferred here, knowing that he would have to take a class, and would enroll in January.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard that. Was this recently?

Haley is playing at Odessa College right now, so I am not sure how this will work out. Either way, we do have scholarships to give for 2018 so Edwards may see fit to reward Kelley with one. I have no reason to say that, but just wondering if that might be part of why we haven't really made much headway towards filling the 5 scholarships we have open for next year (only Taylor signed, the PG from Alabama visiting later this month, that's about it right now).
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Haley is playing at Odessa College right now, so I am not sure how this will work out. Either way, we do have scholarships to give for 2018 so Edwards may see fit to reward Kelley with one. I have no reason to say that, but just wondering if that might be part of why we haven't really made much headway towards filling the 5 scholarships we have open for next year (only Taylor signed, the PG from Alabama visiting later this month, that's about it right now).
Yeah, it was one of the last 2 weeks KFBC interviews with Gags. I had given up on him too, until I heard that.

My wording might be a little off, he may not have transferred here knowing he had to take another class, but it was something like that.

Either way, I can say without a doubt that Gags has recent information that he is still in our plans for January.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Yeah, it was one of the last 2 weeks KFBC interviews with Gags. I had given up on him too, until I heard that.

My wording might be a little off, he may not have transferred here knowing he had to take another class, but it was something like that.

Either way, I can say without a doubt that Gags has recent information that he is still in our plans for January.
Cool. Thanks.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Cool. Thanks.
You're welcome.

They were talking basketball recruiting and Gags was saying the staff doesn't seem to be worried with the commitment of Trevon Taylor and Haley coming in January, they only have a few scholarships to fill.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of those extra scholarships are going to the current point guards on our roster.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Cool. Thanks.
You're welcome.

They we're talking basketball recruiting and Gags was saying the staff doesn't seem to be worried with the commitment of Trevon Taylor and Haley coming in January, they only have a few scholarships to fill.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of those extra scholarships are going to the current point guards on our roster.
Why would Haley be coming in January? If he is playing at Odessa, he will be there all year. If he only needed to get a class credit, why not LCCC? He may be signing to come to UW next season but not sure what you mean by plans for January.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Cool. Thanks.
You're welcome.

They we're talking basketball recruiting and Gags was saying the staff doesn't seem to be worried with the commitment of Trevon Taylor and Haley coming in January, they only have a few scholarships to fill.

Why would Haley be coming in January? If he is playing at Odessa, he will be there all year. If he only needed to get a class credit, why not LCCC? He may be signing to come to UW next season but not sure what you mean by plans for January.
Honestly, I don't know.

I'm just passing on what I heard on KFBC last week or the week before. Gags has inside information that makes Gags think he's coming in January.

Maybe that was before Odessa came out, or maybe it was actually based on old information.

I'm not sure, but Gags sounded confident he's going to be here in January.

National Champions 1943.

I do.