Cowboy Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wyoair
Ranch Hand

The 40th Annual Cowboy Open will start on Saturday. I try to follow wrestling but admittedly not nearly as close as bball and football. I know about Meridith, Trout, Colgan and Ashworth but my question to those in the know is how does our incoming freshman class look. Do we have any highly rated guys coming in? I remember trout was a big recruit out of Omaha and a 4 time state champ before he had his accident. So I'm hoping we have some similar guys coming in. Thanks!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Montorrie Bridges will be good I think
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

wyoair wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:05 pm The 40th Annual Cowboy Open will start on Saturday. I try to follow wrestling but admittedly not nearly as close as bball and football. I know about Meridith, Trout, Colgan and Ashworth but my question to those in the know is how does our incoming freshman class look. Do we have any highly rated guys coming in? I remember trout was a big recruit out of Omaha and a 4 time state champ before he had his accident. So I'm hoping we have some similar guys coming in. Thanks!
I doubt Trout cracks the lineup at 125/133 this year (but I could be wrong).

LanderPoke is absolutely right about Montorie Bridges...look for him to make an immediate impact and win the Cowboy Open as a Redshirt Freshman. He has future All-American potential. Let's hope he realizes that potential!

...Also, a couple of Wyoming guys that I think could really surprise this year. How cool is it that the roster is loaded with good Wyoming natives?

1) Trent Olson (Gillette) redshirt freshman at 125. He spent 3 years wrestling at a prep school and competed well against the best wrestlers in the country throughout high school.
2) Cole Verner (Green River) junior transfer at 125. He dominated the JUCO ranks at Western Wyoming. Perhaps he meets Olson in the finals at the Cowboy open?
2) Hayden Hastings true freshman at 165 (Sheridan) (I don't expect Hastings to make the lineup this year with Ashworth and Colgan in the way...but he is one of the best ever that I've watched tape of to come from Wyoming)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 pm
wyoair wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:05 pm The 40th Annual Cowboy Open will start on Saturday. I try to follow wrestling but admittedly not nearly as close as bball and football. I know about Meridith, Trout, Colgan and Ashworth but my question to those in the know is how does our incoming freshman class look. Do we have any highly rated guys coming in? I remember trout was a big recruit out of Omaha and a 4 time state champ before he had his accident. So I'm hoping we have some similar guys coming in. Thanks!
I doubt Trout cracks the lineup at 125/133 this year (but I could be wrong).

LanderPoke is absolutely right about Montorie Bridges...look for him to make an immediate impact and win the Cowboy Open as a Redshirt Freshman. He has future All-American potential. Let's hope he realizes that potential!

...Also, a couple of Wyoming guys that I think could really surprise this year. How cool is it that the roster is loaded with good Wyoming natives?

1) Trent Olson (Gillette) redshirt freshman at 125. He spent 3 years wrestling at a prep school and competed well against the best wrestlers in the country throughout high school.
2) Cole Verner (Green River) junior transfer at 125. He dominated the JUCO ranks at Western Wyoming. Perhaps he meets Olson in the finals at the Cowboy open?
2) Hayden Hastings true freshman at 165 (Sheridan) (I don't expect Hastings to make the lineup this year with Ashworth and Colgan in the way...but he is one of the best ever that I've watched tape of to come from Wyoming)
Agree! those are some good ones to watch.

I think there will be one stud from the upper weights. Hastings could very well be the one. The Kansas and Idaho kids were reanked high in recruiting rankings.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Thanks guys! I’m starting to follow wrestling a lot more since being on the boards. I’m going to try and watch some matches while I’m in Laramie for the game today. I knew Green River and Sheridan had very good wrestling teams but I was wondering if we have any recent guys from Star Valley as I think they’ve doninated 3A forever.