No one else is saying it: 7th is a damn insult to our entire roster and staff.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:23 pm
DVDA wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 pm I expect Mack to compete directly with Aka Gorski for minutes. I won't be surprised if Mack ends up pushing Aka Gorski to the end of the bench by the end of the season.

I sure hope so. I'm worried that won't be the case though, because last year Edwards seemed liked everything was set in stone with the lineup and he couldn't deviate. I just hope that he will let performance determine time on the court. Aka should only be on the court if he has a hot hand. He is a liability in literally every other way. I mean, I think that former Cowgirl big Kaylie Rader had a higher vertical than he does.
I don't see Gorski getting put at the end of the bench at all. Especially by a freshman. I saw James and Dalton in an interview and they both said that Gorski is the best 3 point shooter on the team and that includes freshman. We know Edwards loves the 3 ball so be prepared to see plenty of Gorski. Plus Gorski is a senior with lots of playing time.

I think Mack is going to be good in the future but I don't think him or Maldonado will come in and be like Fennis Dembo as a freshman. Where they just are an imediate impact. I think both will compete for some playing time but they will both need experience at the college level before either makes a major impact. I could see both doing about what Justin James did his freshman year as far as numbers maybe a little less. Not sure either will get as many minutes as James did his freshman year with so many people competing for playing time.

I do think this team can compete at the top of the conference though.
Agreed. With Redding at PG, Edwards will want to have shooters at the 2/3/4 most of the time. Gorski fills that role well and while he has defensive shortcomings, chances are the freshmen will as well since the are..well, freshmen.

What will really be interesting is whether Kelley is in the rotation or whether James might play some minutes as de facto PG with Adams or the freshmen soaking up those minutes.

A lot of options on the wing this year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Hopefully Coach Edwards will be more of a Coach and teacher than a screamer, but it is fun to sit by the side of the bench listening to the going on, we shall see
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I read somewhere that Aka has lost about 20 pounds in the offseason and is in much better shape. He had injuries last off-season and season that affected his conditioning and he was overweight. So I am expecting him to be a bit quicker and more athletic this year. I think some may be surprised by what we see in him. I actually think he could be pretty good. He always seems to be in the right place and understands the defense. If he has gotten quicker and more athletic it could lead to some good things from him.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

TSpoke wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am I read somewhere that Aka has lost about 20 pounds in the offseason and is in much better shape. He had injuries last off-season and season that affected his conditioning and he was overweight. So I am expecting him to be a bit quicker and more athletic this year. I think some may be surprised by what we see in him. I actually think he could be pretty good. He always seems to be in the right place and understands the defense. If he has gotten quicker and more athletic it could lead to some good things from him.
I saw Aka over the summer and he looked fitter. Hopefully he can be quicker and play d and rebound better. But if one of the freshmen is obviously better and Edwards doesn't play him over Aka I'm oing to lose it
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 am
TSpoke wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am I read somewhere that Aka has lost about 20 pounds in the offseason and is in much better shape. He had injuries last off-season and season that affected his conditioning and he was overweight. So I am expecting him to be a bit quicker and more athletic this year. I think some may be surprised by what we see in him. I actually think he could be pretty good. He always seems to be in the right place and understands the defense. If he has gotten quicker and more athletic it could lead to some good things from him.
I saw Aka over the summer and he looked fitter. Hopefully he can be quicker and play d and rebound better. But if one of the freshmen is obviously better and Edwards doesn't play him over Aka I'm oing to lose it
You won't be alone. :evil:
Arthur Fonzerelli
Buckaroo

I JUST SOILED RIGHT INTO MY BRITCHES!!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

SI says fourth....that sounds about right to me.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ndon-mccoy
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I think 7th is a ridiculous prediction, but I bet at the end of the season the difference between the 4th place team and the 7th place team isn’t more than a game or two.
proud CCCS
Buckaroo

I have plans to go to LV this year and was hoping you guys were right about the team. I'm still going and
was hoping just to watch the women on Wed with the men getting a buy. The men just are not good.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Awesome! Always love the optimism regarding players who have never played a minute of D1 basketball. The most accurate post was Phonzy's.
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

currently only above Air Force and San Jose St

welp
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

I knew this would resurface at some point. Looks like the pollsters knew a lot more than we all did (hoped).
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

This is essentially the same team that fell behind Air force 25-0 in the MWC tournament last year. Just because players get a year older hardly guarantees improvement. But I admire optimism. It's what keeps us going. However, reality is starting to set in. This team isn't going to make hay in the tournament. More than likely, we will be a 7 or 8 seed and we might win 1 game before getting bounced. That's a best case scenario. I'm guessing Dalton and JJ will be worn out by seasons end.