Conference schedule announced

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

No home game with UNLV, no road visit to AFA. That kinda sucks, those are 2 achievable wins. Makes a high finish that much harder...
FromOhioToWyoming
Buckaroo

cali2wyo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:27 pm No home game with UNLV, no road visit to AFA. That kinda sucks, those are 2 achievable wins. Makes a high finish that much harder...
Better for the RPI though
Golden Poke
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Sheep game at home is also before the students get back from Christmas break. I complained about it not being a weekend game last year, this year it is, but no students around. Why do they constantly do this? Swap Fresno for Boise and SJSU for the sheep and you've got a damn good schedule with even more meaningful games towards the end of the regular season.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

FromOhioToWyoming wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 pm
cali2wyo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:27 pm No home game with UNLV, no road visit to AFA. That kinda sucks, those are 2 achievable wins. Makes a high finish that much harder...
We're not really in a position to worry about RPI though, most likely a 1 bid league again this year...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

cali2wyo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 pm
We're not really in a position to worry about RPI though, most likely a 1 bid league again this year...

We need to worry about us - not whether the MWC is a one bid league or not.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WYCowboy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 am
cali2wyo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 pm

We need to worry about us - not whether the MWC is a one bid league or not.
I think it's a little premature to declare us a one bid league
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

A couple of things...

First, to have our biggest rival scheduled at home when the students are gone, that sucks.

And I agree with Cali2wyo, no UNLV at home sucks, and no AFA away also sucks. I hate the round robin selection crap, we should play all teams home & home (which has been discussed in great length every year on this board).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
rocketcitypoke
Buckaroo

The nonconference schedule also just got announced. The home schedule is really bad. There are some big sky schools, some random low level DI schools and Drake. If we are going to pay people these type of salaries they really should play competition where coaches and administrators receive similar salaries. That's not what this is.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

gonna be interesting with the all time 3 point shooter graduated, time will tell
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

stymeman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 am gonna be interesting with the all time 3 point shooter graduated, time will tell
interesting in a good way
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:27 am
stymeman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 am gonna be interesting with the all time 3 point shooter graduated, time will tell
interesting in a good way
I loved Jmac but our basketball team will be soooooooo much better on the defensive end without him and liebs getting annihilated over and over off the dribble putting the rest of the defense in tough spots. Athletically we should also be much improved with those two no longer in the picture as well.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

rocketcitypoke wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 am The nonconference schedule also just got announced. The home schedule is really bad. There are some big sky schools, some random low level DI schools and Drake. If we are going to pay people these type of salaries they really should play competition where coaches and administrators receive similar salaries. That's not what this is.
How would you propose they do that? Edwards was able to sign 2 for 1's with South Carolina and Oregon State and the former is only because of a personal relationship that goes back two decades between Edwards and Martin. Schools from P5 conferences, the A10, and Big East are not doing home and homes with us. They just aren't. We have to sign the best 2 for 1's we can get (which Edwards is doing) and play in the best neutral court tourney we can (Cayman Islands with Iowa, Cincinnati, etc. is pretty good) and then fill out the schedule accordingly.

We can take out some of the floatsam from the home schedule, but it won't be replaced by better home opponents, it would be replaced with more road games. Does it really make sense to go on the road and play money games against teams where coaches receive similar compensation? Let's say Missouri Valley, CUSA, etc.? That actually happened once with Schroyer when we played a money game at Akron. That was embarrassing and shouldn't happen.

We have had to settle in recent years with H&H arrangements with teams whose coaches make significantly less (Montana St., Pacific, UCSB, USD, etc.). It is not because our coaches don't want to have a H&H with a PAC12 school, it's that there isn't any reciprocal interest.

One last note, while I have been critical of Burman, it is important to note that he is among the lowest paid athletic directors in the country at this level.

Who do you think we should schedule?
rocketcitypoke
Buckaroo

like 10 years ago, Tim Miles and Kowalcyk at CSU teamed up and put in a lot of time on their home nonconference schedule. They looked at the teams they were scheduling schedules (all midmajor programs) to determine how that would affect those programs RPI and CSU's subsequent RPI. Then they had to work with DU, CU and UNC to get these team to come to Colorado for home games or back to back road games for those programs. I really don't recall the teams, but it caused a middle of the pack MWC CSU team to have an RPI in 30's for the entire season. Then they made the dance as a lower seed. But Kowalyck and Miles both credited the research they had done in scheduling in getting the at-large bid.

Things have changed with regard to the importance of the RPI, but the idea is still the same. I think there are more different rankings that are being used.

Granted Miles is one of kind. But that's how the scheduling should be. A lot of homework to help with an NCAA bid.
rocketcitypoke
Buckaroo

here was the schedule. The road losses were good. The home wins again Texas-San Antonio, Montana, Manhatten, Southern Miss, Denver and CU were huge:

Schedule and Results

Fri, Nov 11, 2011 REG Montana Big Sky W 64 58 1 0 W 1 Moby Arena

Mon, Nov 14, 2011 REG N Southern Methodist CUSA W 75 56 2 0 W 2

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 REG @ Stanford Pac-12 L 52 64 2 1 L 1 Maples Pavilion

Sat, Nov 19, 2011 REG Southern Mississippi CUSA L 58 79 2 2 L 2 Moby Arena

Mon, Nov 21, 2011 REG Texas-San Antonio Southland W 85 75 3 2 W 1 Moby Arena

Tue, Nov 22, 2011 REG Manhattan MAAC W 91 86 OT 4 2 W 2 Moby Arena

Wed, Nov 30, 2011 REG Colorado Pac-12 W 65 64 5 2 W 3 Moby Arena

Sat, Dec 3, 2011 REG @ Northern Iowa MVC L 77 83 5 3 L 1 McLeod Center

Wed, Dec 7, 2011 REG @ Duke (7) ACC L 64 87 5 4 L 2 Cameron Indoor Stadium

Mon, Dec 19, 2011 REG Texas Southern SWAC W 85 61 6 4 W 1 Moby Arena

Thu, Dec 22, 2011 REG @ Northern Colorado Big Sky W 92 78 7 4 W 2 Butler dna rifle Sports Pavilion

Wed, Dec 28, 2011 REG @ Texas-El Paso CUSA W 56 53 8 4 W 3 Don Haskins Center

Thu, Dec 29, 2011 REG N Jacksonville State OVC W 79 56 9 4 W 4

Sat, Jan 7, 2012 REG Nebraska-Omaha W 87 63 10 4 W 5 Moby Arena

Wed, Jan 11, 2012 REG Denver Sun Belt W 79 75 11 4 W 6 Moby Arena
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

That's a reasonable take regarding maximizing RPI. I was put off by your initial post as our coaches and administrators are not highly paid relative to their competition and teams with higher compensated coaches are usually not coming to Laramie.

In terms of the RPI game, I use to make the same argument that we need to focus on playing winning programs from the lower level conferences and avoid the sub 300 RPI bombs. The biggest component of the RPI is opponents winning percentage. We need to maximize that.

However, a few things have changed that must be taken into account. The first is that the committee will no longer reward the type of manipulation that got that CSU team in the tourney. Today, the committee will utilize tools like KenPom which will highlight the RPI frauds (that 2011 CSU team was 88th in KenPom, 88th! Nowadays, you aren't getting in with a KenPom worse than 60). The second is that the MWC has declined dramatically. That year the MWC had 3 other teams besides CSU make the NCAA and they all earned a top 6 seed. Now we are a one-bid league. That CSU team benefited from a strong conference RPI.

I don't really have the answers anymore. I do think it is best practice to generally play stronger opponents, but I just have a hard time envisioning us building an at-large quality OOC schedule. This year with a road game at South Carolina and a string neutral court tourney is about as good as it gets.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

rocketcitypoke wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 am The nonconference schedule also just got announced. The home schedule is really bad. There are some big sky schools, some random low level DI schools and Drake. If we are going to pay people these type of salaries they really should play competition where coaches and administrators receive similar salaries. That's not what this is.
It's not the greatest in terms of being high-profile games to boost attendance, but there should be some decent RPI games to take advantage of. There are some duds, but three top-150 RPIs from last year seems more than I remember from previous schedules.

TX Southern 105
Chattanooga 141
Eastern WA 148
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:16 am
It's not the greatest in terms of being high-profile games to boost attendance, but there should be some decent RPI games to take advantage of. There are some duds, but three top-150 RPIs from last year seems more than I remember from previous schedules.

TX Southern 105
Chattanooga 141
Eastern WA 148
Home games are tough to get for sure. Overall, we rarely get Top 100 or even Top 150 home opponents. We did have a stretch where we would at least get one quality OOC (SMU, Cal, Colorado), but those series all ended. We should get South Carolina and Oregon State (who should be decent by then) next year as part of those 2 for 1's, which will be decent.

This year we have a pretty decent Away OOC schedule (the aforementioned South Carolina and OSU in addition to the Cayman Islands tournament), but next year maybe we will have a better home OOC schedule.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

What are the rules/costs for hosting a tournament?

It would seem like it would be in our best interest to establish a tournament in Laramie to help with scheduling quality ooc opponents.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.