Our class breakdown,

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Losing Lieberman and Barnes balanced our recruiting classes and really helped our team. I wish them well and thank them for making a decision that helped themselves and Wyoming. Those guys did it right. They'll always be Cowboys.

Seniors: Hayden Dalton, Alan Herndon, Lou Adams, Aka Gorski
Juniors: Justin James, Jordan Naughton, Ny Redding
Sophomores: Buddha Jones, Andrew Moemeka, Cody Kelly, Sam Averbuck
Freshmen: Hunter Thompson, Anthony Mack, Hunter Maldonado, Austin Meuller.

We've finally got away from the senior dominate team that Slick Willy recruited. He had two classes in a row with 6 guys each in a class, trying to stack the deck for a good season to leave Laramie. It left us with a team made up of six freshmen, and six sophomores after Schroyer quit.

We have an upper classmen dominated team coming up, with a great looking recruiting class.

This year our SOS gets a boost from the Cayman Islands Classic. We'll face some solid opponents there. A good showing early could put us in the national discussion in the ooc-season.

We'll compete for the conference championship with the team we have coming back. They have NCAA tournament talent and a history of success in the post-season.

We'll see how hard they can work in the off-season, but the sky is the limit for the Cowboy basketball team this season.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sat May 20, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Good to see that the classes are more balanced finally
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm Losing Lieberman and Barnes balanced our recruiting classes and really helped our team. I wish them well and thank them for making a decision that would help themselves and Wyoming. Those guys did it right. They'll always be Cowboys.

Seniors: Hayden Dalton, Alan Herndon, Lou Adams, and Aka Gorski

We've finally got away from the senior stacked team that Slick Willy got fired with. He had two classes in a row with 6 guys each in a class, trying to stack the deck for a good season to leave Laramie. It left us with a team made up of six freshmen, and six sophomores after Schroyer quit.

We have an upper classmen dominated team coming up, with a great looking recruiting class.

This year our SOS gets a boost from the Cayman Islands Classic. We'll face some solid opponents there. A good showing early could put us in the national discussion in the ooc-season.

We'll compete for the conference championship with the team we have coming back. They have NCAA tournament talent and a history of success in the post-season.

We'll see how hard they can work in the off-season, but the sky is the limit for the Cowboy basketball team this season.
It doesn't really matter to have the walk-ons in this illustration. Scholarships are what we need to be tracking so we have 4, 2, 2, and 4 from seniors down to frosh before anyone is redshirted.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm Losing Lieberman and Barnes balanced our recruiting classes and really helped our team. I wish them well and thank them for making a decision that would help themselves and Wyoming. Those guys did it right. They'll always be Cowboys.

We've finally got away from the senior stacked team that Slick Willy got fired with. He had two classes in a row with 6 guys each in a class, trying to stack the deck for a good season to leave Laramie. It left us with a team made up of six freshmen, and six sophomores after Schroyer quit.

It doesn't really matter to have the walk-ons in this illustration. Scholarships are what we need to be tracking so we have 4, 2, 2, and 4 from seniors down to frosh before anyone is redshirted.
Which beats the poop out of 6, 6, 0, 1 and we still hold a scholarship.

Yeah, scholarships are important for who we're recruiting, but you and I both know the walk-ons will play under Edwards, if his first year is any indication.

I still think we need a point guard in the 2017 class, but I'm confident that Kelly and Redding will get minutes at the point. They'll help us win ball games. Both of them walked on.

Either way, dropping 2 scholarships out of a class that had six will go a long way to Wyoming being more consistent year by year, instead of having to rebuild every season the six man class graduates.

None of that changes what we have this year: we have Adams, Dalton, Gorski, and Herndon as seniors, with Redding, James and Naughton as juniors, and an older sophomore in Buddha Jones. We've got a veteran team, and a talented recruiting class.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Fri May 19, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Yeah, scholarships are important for who we're recruiting, but you and I both know the walk-ons will play under Edwards, if his first year is any indication.

I still think we need a point guard in the 2017 class, but I'm confident that Kelly and Redding will get minutes at the point. They'll help us win ball games.

Either way, dropping 2 scholarships out of a class that had six will go a long way to Wyoming being more consistent year by year, instead of having to rebuild every season the six man class graduates.

None of that changes what we have this year: we have Adams, Dalton, Gorski, and Herndon as seniors, with Redding, James and Naughton as juniors, and an older sophomore in Buddha Jones. We've got a veteran team, and a talented recruiting class.
I think you will see less playing time from walk-ons as Edwards get his own guys in here. Redding will certainly play, as will Kelly for at least the upcoming season. But with 13 scholarships filled by his own recruits, the walk-on spot will be filled by "practice players", nothing more.

Parker Stewart would hasten this process and severely limit Kelly's playing time this next season. Come home Parker.....
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 3:11 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I still think we need a point guard in the 2017 class, but I'm confident that Kelly and Redding will get minutes at the point. They'll help us win ball games.

I think you will see less playing time from walk-ons as Edwards get his own guys in here. Redding will certainly play, as will Kelly for at least the upcoming season. But with 13 scholarships filled by his own recruits, the walk-on spot will be filled by "practice players", nothing more.

Parker Stewart would hasten this process and severely limit Kelly's playing time this next season. Come home Parker.....
I hope you're right. I thought I was going to see the rotation get cut back last year, and I never did. It helped us in the post-season to have fresh legs to win. Still, it wouldn't hurt Edwards to be more judicious with minutes.

Two of the guys that people were the unhappiest about getting minutes: Lieberman and Barnes, are gone.

Edwards first season proves he likes a deep bench. He likes formations without a true center, with two stretch fours on the floor at the same time. We have the depth to do that with Herndon, Dalton, Thompson, Jones, and Meuller.

Guessing Edwards two deep is almost impossible. I would probably have better luck at predicting it if I talked to a witch doctor and 2 sorority girls that know absolutely nothing about basketball.

PG: Redding/Kelly are the traditional points, but Edwards will have James and Herndon bring the ball up. I'm expecting James to play a lot of point this year.

SG: Adams/Mack/Gorski

SF: James/Maldonado/Meuller/Dalton

We've got so many guys that can play PF or Center that it's anyones guess at the two deep. It will be some combination of Dalton/Herndon/Jones/Naughton/Moemeka/Thompson/Meuller. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hunter Thompson redshirt even though he doesn't have to. We're loaded in the post. Do some of our stretch fours move to the 3 spot because of the depth in the post? Hayden Dalton and Austin Meuller might line up at wing. Here's my guess at starters:

PF: Dalton

C: Herndon

One thing that has become abundantly clear: 2-5, we're the longest team in the MWC. Our post is STACKED.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Oh man. It's anyone's guess what the rotation will be. The only hope to have a perfect rotation is for all our players to be freaking good so Edwards can't make a bad substitution. Subbing good players for only good players. We're a couple years away from that, but it pleases me to say that we're getting there.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

How good of a fit would Parker be on this roster?

We've got great depth, length and talent in the post. Those positions are loaded well into the future with a couple of really highly touted 4 star guys there.

We now have two 6'7" guys at SF, with Justin James and Hunter Maldonado.

2 guard looks to be in good hands with Adams as a senior and Anthony Mack coming in. We have length at the two with Mack and Gorski.

At point, we have a couple of walk-ons. Neither of them are very tall. They're good players, and they'll get minutes, but point guard is the weakest position on our team. There's definitely room for improvement at the point.

You would have to think Parker would get minutes as a true freshman and might even win the starting point guard spot.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 pm How good of a fit would Parker be on this roster?

We've got great depth, length and talent in the post. Those positions are loaded well into the future with a couple of really highly touted 4 star guys there.

We now have two 6'7" guys at SF, with Justin James and Hunter Maldonado.

2 guard looks to be in good hands with Adams as a senior and Anthony Mack coming in. We have length at the two with Mack and Gorski.

At point, we have a couple of walk-ons. Neither of them are very tall. They're good players, and they'll get minutes, but point guard is the weakest position on our team. There's definitely room for improvement at the point.

You would have to think Parker would get minutes as a true freshman and might even win the starting point guard spot.
My starting lineup:
PG- Parker. Please!
SG- Mack
Swing- James
Stretch 4- Dalton or Herndon depending on if you want more offense or D. Dalton for offense, Herndon for D
5- Jones. Seems to have a nice game, rim protector. If playing a team with a big post guy, Naughton to put a body on him
Redding, Adams, Moemeka, Maldonado gets minutes as well. Thompson redshirts and Kelly, Meuller, Gorski and Averbuck are great teammates from the pine