Jeremy Lieberman transferring? (via Clint Parks)

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I'm guessing he'd still need to sit a year... unless he somehow got enough credits to graduate in 3 years. Seems like strange timing to do that prior to your senior season...
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Landerpoke is doing backflips right now.

Best of luck Liebs. I enjoyed the attitude and work ethic you brought to the game and the team.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
PApokesPhan
Ranch Hand

So was he thinking of losing playing time? Does Edwards like Redding? Does anyone have a report on him?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

PApokesPhan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm So was he thinking of losing playing time? Does Edwards like Redding? Does anyone have a report on him?
Redding had trouble breaking through at a bottom dweller Pac12 school. Despite what LanderPoke thinks, I think that Lieberman was at least serviceable as a PG.

On paper, it seems like we're taking a downgrade. I hope Redding comes through and helps the team. Just to be sure, I hope this scholly gets used on a grad transfer PG. I don't want Kelley to see the floor as much next year...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Subcanis wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:38 pm Landerpoke is doing backflips right now.

Best of luck Liebs. I enjoyed the attitude and work ethic you brought to the game and the team.
No comment
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

cali2wyo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:48 pm
PApokesPhan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm So was he thinking of losing playing time? Does Edwards like Redding? Does anyone have a report on him?
Redding had trouble breaking through at a bottom dweller Pac12 school. Despite what LanderPoke thinks, I think that Lieberman was at least serviceable as a PG.

On paper, it seems like we're taking a downgrade. I hope Redding comes through and helps the team. Just to be sure, I hope this scholly gets used on a grad transfer PG. I don't want Kelley to see the floor as much next year...
Not sure why. Kelly was the better of the two, imo.

Anyway. Redding can't be any worse and who needs a traditional point guard anyway. This is 2017 - the age of versatile, interchangeable players. I think we'll be fine
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Saw a suggestion from the Trib that Hunter Thompson would be put on scholarship this year if a player were to transfer.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Just saw this on twitter. This one surprises me one one hand and totally makes sense on another.

On the one hand, Liebs is a senior and in line to have a lions share of the minutes next season as such. I thought at times he showed that he could hang in the MWC and was due a good "breakout" senior season. This seems weird to me.

On the other hand, I kinda get it. I have never seen a coach at Wyoming ride a players ass like Edwards did Liebs this year. Good plays plays and bad plays Edwards was constantly barking at Liebs and I wouldnt necessarily want to constantly be the whipping boy. Kelley made a lot of the same mistakes and errors and met half of the poop talk from the bench. This makes total sense to me.

Either way, I thank Jeremey for his efforts over the last few years and wish him the best of luck. I hope we don't bump Hunter Thompson onto scholly but use it to go grab a transfer who can make an instant impact. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Anyway. Redding can't be any worse and who needs a traditional point guard anyway. This is 2017 - the age of versatile, interchangeable players. I think we'll be fine
We'll be fine if Edwards learns that JJ is a viable option as a "PG" in his system. But if he goes into 2017 thinking that we need some 5'10" kid to bring the ball up the court then we may be doomed. Kelly didn't bring much for me, unless Redding really surprises us I'm not sure how Lieberman's departure can be considered a good thing...
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I like the look of Redding. If we get average point guard play we will be better. Would love to see one more transfer (Aka) and get a grad transfer point guard and another combo guard. I would redshirt Thompson and have him walk on this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73X1Yuj ... ture=share
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Vt poke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm I like the look of Redding. If we get average point guard play we will be better. Would love to see one more transfer (Aka) and get a grad transfer point guard and another combo guard. I would redshirt Thompson and have him walk on this year

I like it. He can get into the lane. Jumper is kinda slow and ugly, but he looks quick and can get into the lane and find the open man.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Kelley has the mentality of a middle linebacker playing the quarterback position. He works his butt off and is very physical and in your face. A Wyoming boy. Liebs was more of a prima Dona point guard. He definitely played better towards the end of the year. If Redding isn't better then these two, JJ should start with Adams and Mack.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Best of luck to Liebs...I don't blame him for wanting to go elsewhere. Edwards preferred to play a very mediocre walk on, who was worse defensively and couldn't make a GD free throw all year.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pmNot sure why. Kelly was the better of the two, imo.
:shock:

You are letting your bias toward Jeremy cloud your vision of medicore basketball.
Dear Karma,

Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:37 pm
Vt poke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm I like the look of Redding. If we get average point guard play we will be better. Would love to see one more transfer (Aka) and get a grad transfer point guard and another combo guard. I would redshirt Thompson and have him walk on this year

I like it. He can get into the lane. Jumper is kinda slow and ugly, but he looks quick and can get into the lane and find the open man.

I think this year's team could've been top 2-3 in MWC if we had a person who could penetrate and either finish at the rim, pull up or dish. The two guys who could didn't start and play enough minutes (James) or only new how to go to the hole on a kamikaze mission (Adams). We became more effective when JJ played more and showed off his ability to pull up from 15, drive to the hole or dish. If Adams can learn this skill, we have the beginnings of a pretty good backcourt. Redding will be able to create open looks for Mack and the rest of the 3 point bombers
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:51 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pmNot sure why. Kelly was the better of the two, imo.

You are letting your bias toward Jeremy cloud your vision of medicore basketball.
Kelly:
GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
34 12.6 3.4 1.3 1.5 0.6 0.0 0.8 .392 .542 .385

Lieberman:
37 22.6 4.8 2.0 2.5 0.9 0.1 1.3 .418 .765 .293

It's a statistical wash, actually Kelly is better in almost everything on a per minute basis. Kelly is stronger and quicker and plays better d. Kelly was the second best three point shooter on the team.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Kelly:

Lieberman:

It's a statistical wash, actually Kelly is better in almost everything on a per minute basis. Kelly is stronger and quicker and plays better d. Kelly was the second three point shooter on the team.
Stats only tell so much, and very little about defense and defensive stops. But I still wouldn't call it a statistical wash - even looking at the selective data you decided to share.

Either way, if coach Edwards looks to Kelly to primarily run the team from the point next year, we are in major f-word trouble. Major. f-word. Trouble. Like, give up my season tickets type trouble.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Kelly:

Lieberman:

It's a statistical wash, actually Kelly is better in almost everything on a per minute basis. Kelly is stronger and quicker and plays better d. Kelly was the second three point shooter on the team.
Stats only tell so much, and very little about defense and defensive stops. But I still wouldn't call it a statistical wash - even looking at the selective data you decided to share.

Either way, if coach Edwards looks to Kelly to primarily run the team from the point next year, we are in major f-word trouble. Major. f-word. Trouble. Like, give up my season tickets type trouble.
Selective in Lieb's favor, yes. Advanced stats would be even less favorable to Lieberman. The main reason I think Kelly is better is d. Lieberman was a seive that gave the illusion of being a good defender because he looked like he was trying super hard(he was trying super hard) guarding someone 3/4 of the court. When players wanted they got into the lane at will vs. Lieberman. I thought Kelly did a much better job of keeping players out of the paint - the main defensive job of a guard.

But, yes. Next year will look a lot like this year if we don't upgrade the point guard spot. And we just took a major step in the right direction today.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:37 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Kelly:

Lieberman:

Selective in Lieb's favor, yes. Advanced stats would be even less favorable to Lieberman. The main reason I think Kelly is better is d. Lieberman was a seive that gave the illusion of being a good defender because he looked like he was trying super hard(he was trying super hard) guarding someone 3/4 of the court. When players wanted they got into the lane at will vs. Lieberman. I thought Kelly did a much better job of keeping players out of the paint - the main defensive job of a guard.

But, yes. Next year will look a lot like this year if we don't upgrade the point guard spot. And we just took a major step in the right direction today.
All one had to do was watch the 2 csewe games. We could never keep their guards out of the paint and ours could never get into it. Kelly is not a D1 starter. 5-10 minutes a game is the most he should get.