2017 recruiting thread,

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

cali2wyo wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:We aren't going to be able to sign all of these kids. We can get 2 can't we? Not that all of them will choose us or anything but if we land a couple they all look good.
We only have a spot for one more signing at the moment. With Maldonado already committed and the 2 scholarship transfers, that leaves only 1 spot left (assuming nobody transfers) for the 2017 class.
So there is Hunter Thompson, Parker , Bey, Butler and I thought someone else on the list. Can't remember. Unless he is going to accept two of them and then hope one of the current players leaves the team or pushes them out. Not sure who that would even be but I guess that is the only way that would work.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

cali2wyo wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:We aren't going to be able to sign all of these kids. We can get 2 can't we? Not that all of them will choose us or anything but if we land a couple they all look good.
We only have a spot for one more signing at the moment. With Maldonado already committed and the 2 scholarship transfers, that leaves only 1 spot left (assuming nobody transfers) for the 2017 class.
Does this assume the kid whose step dad works for UW is getting an athletic scholarship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Does this assume the kid whose step dad works for UW is getting an athletic scholarship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's not on scholarship. Adams(juco) was the second scholarship handed out. Jones got the first as a transfer from UTEP.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

seattlecowboy wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
So there is Hunter Thompson, Parker , Bey, Butler and I thought someone else on the list. Can't remember. Unless he is going to accept two of them and then hope one of the current players leaves the team or pushes them out. Not sure who that would even be but I guess that is the only way that would work.
It would be AWESOME to get any one of these kids.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
Once scholarship and the inevitable attrition equals 2. We almost always have someone leave.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:Pretty sure the uptick is all Edwards.
I wouldn't say it's all Edwards. Larry Shyatt, Jeremy Shyatt, Scott Duncan, and Allen Edwards developed Larry Nance Jr.

A lot of this sweet recruiting love is from guys watching Larry Nance Jr. kick ass with the Lakers and wanting the same coaching that made that possible. We still have two of those coaches. We ended up with the two coaches that we're the more active recruiters. We ended up with the guy that coached Nance in the post.

Shy was the Jedi Master.

Edwards and Shy Jr. are the young apprentices.

Either way, we've got a pile of facilities and it looks like we have a coach that might be a better recruiter than an older Larry Shyatt.

We've got an immense amount of potential talent in this 2017 class. There's a lot of talent in Laramie already. This team isn't far away from being a multiple conference champion and a frequent dancer in the NCAA tournament. We've been competing for titles for years, regardless of the bad luck we had that derailed our seasons. If we make a couple of key additions, there's no limit to what Wyoming can accomplish.

It's a good day to be a Cowboy hoops fan.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

According to VerbalCommits, we have 13 open offers for 2017:

Parker Stewart
Damari Milstead
Sylvain Francisco
Jerald Butler
Darius McNeill
Darius Banks
Samuta Avea
Anthony Mack
Trevin Knell
Zach Thornhill
Ryan Stipanovich
Tyler Bey
Hunter Thompson

No clue if all offers are still active.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Edwards looks to be taking things to a new level. I'm really liking everything that I'm seeing. If we land even one big recruit in 2017 we're looking to be dangerous. What if we get 2 of those guys??? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
He still has some coaching to do but man am I excited. Everything about this feels like we could be heading back to the top of the conference on the regular. No better time to be slamming Brown n Gold kool aid :party: :tounge: :tounge: :tounge: :beer: Pumped for Pokes hoops again!!!!
Riding High!!!
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

poke_addict wrote:Jerald Butler makes his commitment this Friday

He picked Butler University by the way. We can cross him off our list.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Butler to Butler lol. Would have been a good get but we have a bunch of quality recruits still in the mix. I just hope we land one of these guys Bey, Parker, Banks, Thompson.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

poke_addict wrote:Butler to Butler lol. Would have been a good get but we have a bunch of quality recruits still in the mix. I just hope we land one of these guys Bey, Parker, Banks, Thompson.
Bey looks legit. But we NEED another ball handler. We need a legitimate point guard and not have to rely on JJ or some other guard to handle that when Lieberman is on the bench
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

cali2wyo wrote:
poke_addict wrote:Butler to Butler lol. Would have been a good get but we have a bunch of quality recruits still in the mix. I just hope we land one of these guys Bey, Parker, Banks, Thompson.
Bey looks legit. But we NEED another ball handler. We need a legitimate point guard and not have to rely on JJ or some other guard to handle that when Lieberman is on the bench
Oh, man. If we could get Bey I'd go next year with 0 point guards.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

I'm hoping we get Parker Stewart! It really feels like we're in the mix for him and if he comes to Laramie the Cowboys could have the most loaded backcourt we've ever seen. With Lieberman-Senior, Adams-Senior, Gorski-Senior, James-Junior, and Stewart-Frosh. Think what that backcourt could do if all those guys progress these next 2 years :winky:

Liebs could handle the rock/bust 3's, Adams could be an all around player that creates his own buckets, Gorski needs to just work on sniper abilities, James needs to work on better ball handling but I think everyone on here is excited to see him by his junior year, and then what if Parker Stewart came in already about as good as all of these dudes??? Lotta what ifs and Brown n Gold dreamin right now, but Edwards recruiting along with Shyatt's groundwork have giving us a bright future. Our front court will also be more stacked then it has been in years as well. 2017 is the year we finally have 4, maybe even 5 bigs that can hang in the MWC. Imagine having a team that's actually 10-11 deep. We could run teams into the ground in gem city.
Riding High!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:I'm hoping we get Parker Stewart! It really feels like we're in the mix for him and if he comes to Laramie the Cowboys could have the most loaded backcourt we've ever seen. With Lieberman-Senior, Adams-Senior, Gorski-Senior, James-Junior, and Stewart-Frosh. Think what that backcourt could do if all those guys progress these next 2 years :winky:

Liebs could handle the rock/bust 3's, Adams could be an all around player that creates his own buckets, Gorski needs to just work on sniper abilities, James needs to work on better ball handling but I think everyone on here is excited to see him by his junior year, and then what if Parker Stewart came in already about as good as all of these dudes??? Lotta what ifs and Brown n Gold dreamin right now, but Edwards recruiting along with Shyatt's groundwork have giving us a bright future. Our front court will also be more stacked then it has been in years as well. 2017 is the year we finally have 4, maybe even 5 bigs that can hang in the MWC. Imagine having a team that's actually 10-11 deep. We could run teams into the ground in gem city.
Parker Stewart is obviously the top target. A 6' 5'' pg would be incredible.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:
Cosmic Cowboy wrote:I'm hoping we get Parker Stewart! It really feels like we're in the mix for him and if he comes to Laramie the Cowboys could have the most loaded backcourt we've ever seen. With Lieberman-Senior, Adams-Senior, Gorski-Senior, James-Junior, and Stewart-Frosh. Think what that backcourt could do if all those guys progress these next 2 years :winky:

Parker Stewart is obviously the top target. A 6' 5'' pg would be incredible.
Yeah Parker is the prime target. He would add a dynamic to our team, I don't believe we have seen before. But say Tyler Bey calls tomorrow and wants to be a poke I would have to agree with you Landerpoke. You take that!!!! I can definitely trust Liebs, JJ, and Adams to handle the rock. I know we only have one spot available but for any chance both these players want to play for Wyoming I can't see the coaching staff not trying to make that work. Not saying we get either of them but it's exciting to think about. We definitely can't complain we're not going after high caliber prospects anymore. We are recruiting against some quality programs fellas and beating out many of them on the short lists. Man its a great time to be a Wyo hoops fan
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Parker is bringing out his family this visit. Check out this quote from that other site....

""This one (Wyoming visit) is more for my parents to see all the changes, and getting a feel for coach Edwards and what his plans are. I like Laramie a lot, it's like a second home really because I lived there so long and I'm used to it".

Dino's got an article about it at the bottom of this thread. There's a good article about our Tampa 2 in there as well.

http://pokesradio.com/index.aspx

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

poke_addict wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: Yeah Parker is the prime target. He would add a dynamic to our team, I don't believe we have seen before. But say Tyler Bey calls tomorrow and wants to be a poke I would have to agree with you Landerpoke. You take that!!!! I can definitely trust Liebs, JJ, and Adams to handle the rock. I know we only have one spot available but for any chance both these players want to play for Wyoming I can't see the coaching staff not trying to make that work. Not saying we get either of them but it's exciting to think about. We definitely can't complain we're not going after high caliber prospects anymore. We are recruiting against some quality programs fellas and beating out many of them on the short lists. Man its a great time to be a Wyo hoops fan
Yeah your right about that. If we can land any recruits on that kind of talent level we just have to pick up the commitment right now. It's amazing to really be in the hunt for multiple top talents at once!!! We land one of those guys and the future is gonna be nuts. That's when you can start to recruit other premium level talents to join the other big time stars. I'd love it if that happens and Edwards decides that Wyoming is gonna be the place he wants to stay. We can be one of those teams that goes dancing every year or that is always flirting with it. That's right where we all want to be. Lets get the Dome of Doom :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ROCKIN AGAIN :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE that Edward's recruits are all long and athletic. The ultimate recipe for success in Laramie is a deep athletic team that can D, run, and get some easier buckets. Not many teams can hold with us on home court if we setup like that. Hope this is a great era ahead.
Riding High!!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE that Edward's recruits are all long and athletic. The ultimate recipe for success in Laramie is a deep athletic team that can D, run, and get some easier buckets. Not many teams can hold with us on home court if we setup like that. Hope this is a great era ahead.
The last two Wyoming teams that had NCAA tourney success utilized the fast break and had a depth of quality post players. Brandenburg did it better than anyone I can remember. We had a half court offense, but those teams would run on you and created excitement in the building. Josh Davis, Marcus Bailey and friends weren't afraid to get up and down the court either. Both of those teams won games in the dance.

That's not the only thing they have in common though. Both of those teams played in front of packed houses while they we're in Laramie.

Edwards is going to run and he has length, quality, and depth. I can't wait.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: The last two Wyoming teams that had NCAA tourney success utilized the fast break and had a depth of quality post players. Brandenburg did it better than anyone I can remember. We had a half court offense, but those teams would run on you and created excitement in the building. Josh Davis, Marcus Bailey and friends weren't afraid to get up and down the court either. Both of those teams won games in the dance.

That's not the only thing they have in common though. Both of those teams played in front of packed houses while they we're in Laramie.

Edwards is going to run and he has length, quality, and depth. I can't wait.
Very true. That Bailey/Davis team could create their own buckets too. Sure there was a half court set, but Bailey was a floor general. Dude straight created buckets. That can be said for many members of that team though. Donta, Straight, Uche (poop I just mentioned Uche and UCHE was dope!!!), and of course Josh DAVIS!!! Those dudes could all just score buckets on their own and working together poop, it worked real nice. It took em a little time to get fully on the same page but it turned into straight Poke's magic.
Riding High!!!